Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Torn spam bots

Started by Juxter [532071] on in General Discussion.

22 replies · 249 views · thread synced · 7 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 23 / 23 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
23
Discussion span
→
Authority score
56 / 100
Historical score
22 / 100
Story score
51 / 100
Engagement score
60 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Mentioned in this thread

Hamburg [1880546] ×1

Juxter [532071]

So I got this message from some random lvl 1 yesterday:


Hamburg: Hi mate, come and have a look at this new game, its called [Super cool game] , its new so you could be the best. lots of active staff with daily updates and its growing quickly. join now and you could dominate. in here more Features and many more intrested feature. Link: Super cool game

(some slight edits have been made for legal reasons).

Now there was some other random spam going on in the forums as well yesterday, boobpics and whatnot, which got me thinking. You see I have never encountered spambots on this game before, through all my 7 odd years of playing, which is odd considering the size of the game. Have I just been very lucky, or are we actually blessed with a lack of spambots? what are your experiences?

Mentions: Hamburg [1880546]

Beerstein [1322136]

I've been hit by a few mail ones over the years, and as one of the most active forumers have also been hit by the boob ones, and even a few legit spambots with links to random websites. All in all Torn is just pretty good about controlling them. As far as I can tell the boob ones actually disappear through legal action though as they don't know when to quit.
IIIlusionist [253384]

I have never received something like this.

Think as a general rule: any link sent to you by a stranger = do not open....espically if they have super cool names like "super cool game" :D
Juxter [532071]

I did modify the link I posted. The original was a direct link to the game. The link in this post is perfectly fine to click ;P
CatHead [1581564]

A year or so ago some douche came from a little game and flooded our chats with advertisements. So a group of us just went on their forums and spammed the shit out of them and then refreshed until their servers couldn't handle it.

I don't think it's a very good marketing technique to annoy people who might want to try your game.
Juxter [532071]

I agree 100% with that. As soon as you get an advert somewhere it shouldn't be nowadays, I tend to automatically assume its a trick to get me to download malware.
Stretch [1846075] Officer Officer

Been spammed 1/2 dozen times or more over the last 6mos with people trying to get you to play other games, just a simple report and forget about it is the easy way to deal with it and let the powers that be banish them into oblivion. Unless there is pr0n involved, then first review the pr0n, enjoy it, THEN report them, maybe even thank them first before reporting
tonystark [1544245]

I got same massage twice a week, I meant last week when i was using global chat. At the second time i got the massage, I copy and paste to the global chat to show others what i got. I didn't know the link will go through, unluckily the link appear. Then at the same day i got Verbal Warning from the system. Damn it.