Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Geocaching

Started by RazzyD [550144] on in Hobbies & Interests.

27 replies · 197 views · thread synced · 6 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 28 / 28 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
28
Discussion span
→
Authority score
9 / 100
Historical score
23 / 100
Story score
47 / 100
Engagement score
63 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

RazzyD [550144]

I like to do Geocaching quite a bit...what involves is..

it's an outdoor recreational activity, in which participants use a Global Positioning System (GPS) receiver or mobile device and other navigational techniques to hide and seek containers, called "geocaches" or "caches", anywhere in the world.

I like "hiding" them. I've hidden 22 of em, but since ive hidden them, i do have to maintain em and that can be a hassle sometimes.

anyway check it out!..you may like it, since it is a different hobby
CatHead [1581564]

It sounds cool.

A few questions: What do you hide? What does maintaining a cache involve? Do you ever meet the people that find them?
RazzyD [550144]

You get any kind of container and you put any nickknack items in it and other cachers can swap items for items in it.

In the cache, it usually has a log book to where cachers can sign it when they find it...they then go to the geocache website and post that they have found it, and they get credit for it just by adding on to their total of "finds'.

maintain is just to keep the site functional and keep a log book in it...i have 22 sites, so i only need to maintain em 1ce every 3-4 months..just going to maintain em is the hassle.

I meet people at sites sometimes just by being there, but there are some players who go together just to find caches on a given day.

the game is world wide...Ive found caches in Mexico, Canada, and Caymen Islands...like i said it is a differnet hobby, but i think it's fun....3yrs and still at it..:)
Wulfric [1767972]

Never hidden any, but I'm almost up to 200 finds... I always flick the gps on when we visit another city in case there's anything nearby.

I do have a couple of geocoins going round.

wulfric1066
RazzyD [550144]

i have mine going...it has gone 18338 miles....been going for almost 3 years now.im surprised it hasnt gotten lost or muggled.

I named it Signal...micro coin..right now it is in Wisconsin USA..go get it...lol

I found ya Wulfric......I'm RazzyD
--master-- [377449]

I've heard of Geocaching, even done a little near where I live.

But I've never heard of these geocoins? Am I to assume they're a small battery powered device that reports it's location, so someone picks it up from a cache, and takes it to the next...?

Personally I did it with a friend, he was into photography and we used it as an excuse to take us to interesting places we could photograph.
Wulfric [1767972]

Not quite. It has a secret code on it, and you log on the geocaching website when and where you find it, then you dop it into another cache a day or three later... next player will repeat, ad infinitum.
Otter [1821671]

I love doing this actually. i have done about 300 during my travels :D its amazing some of the things people have hidden. sucks when you get to a cache and its gotten wet though :(
RazzyD [550144]

ya i have a spot at the bowling alleys, and it always gets taken (muggled)...5 times now.

i guess there is always someone looking at what yur doing..lol..especialy when the police drive up..lol
xGoddogx [1574638]

Yea geocaching is something that I do aswell and it's a good time, but I always seem to take a break at winter time. Sitting with around 2500 finds.
RazzyD [550144]

ya no more exploring in forests in winter time....so i then just go about doing the parking lot light poles...quick grabs.
UrgentAlibi [1608246]

I recently found a fully punched loyalty card for a local coffee shop, a Lego man with one arm, an interesting letter, and a marble :D
RazzyD [550144]

i found a loyalty card last month..and that made my day....was a sandwich card for a free sandwich...came in handy.

my son likes to trade toys when we get treasures ans he calls em...so he gets a new toy to play with when he trades for his old ones.
Shifted [1886451]

I have done some! It's really fun, and there are secrets hiding everywhere. I think i might surprise my girl with this, when it gets a bit warmer.