Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

UK broadband

Started by Lonestar [1151936] on in Technology.

18 replies · 161 views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 19 / 19 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
19
Discussion span
→
People posting
13
Likes on archived posts
8
Authority score
23 / 100
Historical score
18 / 100
Story score
36 / 100
Engagement score
58 / 100
Lonestar [1151936]

Currently with Virgin but its costing best part of 60 quid a month just for line rental and unlimited broadband.

Has anyone got any alternatives? Im thinking of Plusnet.

Deffo not going with Talk Talk or BT so dont suggest them!

Not arsed about a TV package.....just broadband :)

Thanks in advance!
_TB [102482] Wiki Contributor

Sky Broadband's got a good deal going for Unlimited & Line Rental at the moment Lonestar.
I'd also have a look on Quidco, see if you cant get a bit of cash-back too.
Plusnet is good, and I think if you download those Lesbian Midget films you enjoy so much between 1-7am it doesn't eat into your allowance :)
MegaChintz [1770536]

A good place to start to see your options is https://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker

Bear in mind the connection speed you will get is heavily dictated by distance between your property and the local exchange. Ie don't fork out on a high speed connection if you will get a lower actual thruput.

Unfortunately most isps bundle additional services as that's where the money is, but its still possible to get the odd offer on a connection only package.

Paying the line rental for a year upfront sometimes brings the monthly cost down too.
dunmugmeh [538353]

I use virgin for phone line all the tv channels apart from sky sports and sky movies and the broadband im paying a lot less than £60 a month!
Porny [604593]

I use BT, for bb and phone, costs me about 45 a month all in. Was offered a good deal with Sky for 6 months but then eventually it would level out to the same as BT, so i'm staying put.
Hermit [997432]

£60 month just for your phone line rental???? I'm with Virgin media aswell but i have the package which contains sky movies, Sports and everything else. I pay a bit more but your £60 line rental is excessive.

I would phone them up, because the "Big Kahuna" bundle (which includes pretty much everything) is going for £39 month, but after 12 months it becomes £49 month + £17 line rental = £66

"Big bang" bundle is £20 month with 130+ Channels after 12 month's it becomes £32 month + £17 line rental = £49 month
MegaChintz [1770536]

Im sure they said £60 for line rental and broadband, and "not arsed" for TV.

BT Infinity option 1 - £15 per month, Uncapped

Weekend Calls
12 month contract
FIBRE FREE BT SPORT NO USAGE LIMITS

Monthly contract cost with offers £31.99
Monthly contract cost £31.99
One-off costs £36.99

Costs include line rental

Online sale pricing valid till tomorrow, including £50 Sainsburys voucher.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/options/new-customer.html

Come on Loanstar- give BT a second look. I can't stand the behemoth they have become, but the service I have wipes the floor with my old (virgin) connection.

I've had many a dissapointingly cold pastry from Gregg's, but I still go back :-)
Lonestar [1151936]

Ok.....what my missus didnt tell me was that 60 quid includes 15 pounds worth of calls. But...45 is still quite a lot.

Going with PlusNet now anyway......20 quid a month - and she can use her bloody mobile that i pay for and has unlimited minutes!
Jobby [1640111]

I'd love to have fibre, unlimited broadband..but living in ireland outside of a city I'm never likely to get it unfortuanatly. As for the tv part....xbmc is your friend :)
Dave [272331]

I pay between £25-35 a month, varies due to introductory offer with plusnet.

I get 80 down and 20 up (although speedtest.net saying 74/16) it's totally unlimited have hit 800GB a month a bunch of times. the service hasn't gone down once that I can remember. perfect really.

how the hell do i post pictures to the forums now lol
Bloods [1897613]

plusnet fibre unlimited get like 80mb down 20mb up which includes your phone costs about £25 a month then keep virgin TV for £13 a month -> £38 a month. Problem solved.