Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Driver Skill

Started by Aikatana [1886727] on in Racing.

46 replies · 2.15k views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 47 / 47 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
47
Discussion span
→
Authority score
53 / 100
Historical score
41 / 100
Story score
61 / 100
Engagement score
76 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Aikatana [1886727]

How long does it take to get up to 5? What is a good driver skill? I'm level 3 with a driver skill of 1.84 and class D. I would like to get my skill up to 5 before leaving class D. Does anyone know how many races this will take? I've been doing 100 lap races and finishing last since my car is still my upgraded E car. Will getting a faster car increase how fast I level up my driver skill?
Baldr [1847600] Reporter

I'm not positive, but I think that the distance driven is the main factor. So doing 100 lap races will help more than short races, and 100 laps on a long track that takes more time will help more than 100 laps on Speedway, which is a fairly short fast track.

As you go higher, your skill moves up slower.

When I moved to A class, my skill was 4.56. I'm not at home to check, but I think it's at 6.44 right now. I think you can reach 5.0 in D class (assuming you aren't joining and placing in official races) but I don't think it would be worth that extra time.

IMO, you should get a D class car, spend a few upgrade points on it, and move along with the natural progression. I see no advantage in holding yourself back in D class for an extended period of time.




RiverNinny [1712720]

If your going to hold yourself back upgrade your D class car and go for your 250 wins merit while your at it. I did it with C class.
DeviantDee [1863741]

Am I right to assume driver skill determines Class?? I am at 6.00 skill but still only have a class c license....but someone above says their skill was 4.56 when they reached class A! WTH??
Baldr [1847600] Reporter

No, skill level doesn't determine your class.

Racing points and skill level are different. Your racing class is determined by racing points, not by skill.

You gain skill every time you race, more or less. It goes up slowly, and it goes up faster when you are new than when you've been racing awhile. You gain driver skill both on official races and on unofficial races. Long races (100 laps) will give more gains than short 1 or 3 lap races.

Racing points only come from official races, and you only gain racing points when you place in the top 3. You get 3 for 1st place, 2 for 2nd place, and 1 for 3rd place. (One exception : You can also gain racing points as job perks from certain companies. Those points can be used to upgrade cars, but they do not count towards moving you to the next racing class. Only points won by placing in the top 3 in official races count towards your racing class.)

Racing points can be used to upgrade your car, giving it higher top end speed, better braking, quicker acceleration, etc.

You start in E class. When you've gained 25 racing points, you move to D class.

When you've gained that many points, you move to the next class automatically. (You can't choose to stay back in the lower class.) It doesn't matter if you've used those points or if you've held them to use later, once you gain that many points, you move up to the next class.

When you've gained 100 points, you move to C class. (You probably won't *have* 100 points, because you've likely spent some of them upgrading your car, but when you have earned that many points, you move up.)

0 points : E class
25 points : D class
100 points : C class
250 points : B class
475 points : A class


You can't move past A class, but you can continue to earn racing points. Some people have a large pile of unused racing points due to this. Others use their points to upgrade a bunch of different cars, outfitted for different kinds of tracks.

As far as I know, skill level has no maximum.


DeviantDee [1863741]

I am trying to find out how much Driver Skill affects your racing..... I know that the more laps you do= more skill you have.
And I know that placing in the top 3 is how you earn points for upgrades..I personally just see skill and assume I need to gather as much as possible.....but I am being asked "WHY?" and it turns out...I dont know why! lol at first I thought it helped me lever up in class but now I know its points.

SOooooo.... How important is Driver skill, and why?
Baldr [1847600] Reporter

Driver skill is just one factor, but the higher your skill, the more races you'll win overall. If you and I both have the same kind of car, and we've done the same upgrades, and our driver skill is very close, we should split our wins fairly evenly, with each of us winning about half the time.

But if one of us has a driver skill of 5, and the other one has a driver skill of 8, then the guy with 8 is going to win a lot more often. The guy with higher skill still won't be 100% of the time, because there is a lot of randomness involved, but having a higher skill level will bump the odds in his favor.
Chigurh [1765291]

I have noticed that DS influences how often you crash. I crashed a lot in the beginning, but less and less as the DS increased. From Class C to Class B, when my DS was 6ish, I crashed once.

Now my DS is 7, and so far I've done 100+ races in class A without a dent in either of the cards I use (They are both upgraded with 50+ points).

The big question is how much it DS affects your crash skills. I do of course use better cars now than in the beginning, so better Braking and Handling will perhaps influecene how often you crash too.

If anyone's willing to investigate, use the same car, not upgraded, and go for 100 round laps x 100 with an E car. That should take about 100 days (race at night - 1 race will take you 7-10h). See if there is any downward trend in the crash ratio in the 10-20 racves vs the first 10-20 :)
DeviantDee [1863741]

About what I figured then! I had secretly hoped it had a stronger effect on the outcomes lol...but that explains why I win a bit more all the time also..... thanks for clearing it up.


Baldr [1847600] Reporter

I've only had 2 crashes since I started racing. One while I was in B class, and one in A class. I've seen a few others crash, but it's not common. My guess is that there is a very low chance of crashing, regardless of your class, your skill, or your car.


BubbaBlaxx [1903995]

With regards to DS/Crashing/modifications...just made CLASS D with no crashes(luckily)! My question is: How important are the "safety" mods, and should I include them when upgrading? I didn't with my first, and just wondering if it is important enough to include as I move up in classes? Or, should I just concentrate on the usual and obvious?

Baldr [1847600] Reporter

I think the general agreement is that safety upgrades are essentially useless, and you should only use them in class A, after you have everything else.
Mudbottom [1879891] Wiki Contributor

I hate to drag up a 4month old thread...but

Thanks all for the input on driver skill, as I'm just getting my feet wet.

But what I haven't found is any info on the relative values of driver skill.

I'm at 1.7 but no idea what that means, apart from it's likely pretty low...just don't know how low.
Cursed [1901987]

4.36 - class D
my strategy to rank up is just blitz 100 lap races, the people who just buy points at car delaerships will struggle higher up