20 replies · 385 views · thread synced · 10 days ago
· View on torn.com
About this thread
Posts archived:21 / 21 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
Archived posts
21
Discussion span
→
Authority score
37 / 100
Historical score
27 / 100
Story score
49 / 100
Engagement score
65 / 100
People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.
I saw the "New Blackjack" annoucement and read it through.
I know there has been much debate about the rigging and the harsh odds and so on..Usually players posts get flamed as its old news, so this is "new black jack"..
Firstly I used to play blackjack a while ago, but something had changed with the game so I stopped. (Roughly the time when the warning you can loose it all in seconds appeared - wonder why?!)
So, reading the post by Ched:
- As with all newer casino games, we've included a full statistics page with every little detail you could possibly want to know. Perhaps this will finally quiet down the 'blackjack is rigged' cries. We've given as much edge as realistically possible to the player, rather than the dealer. We'll be paying close attention to the long-term statistics to make sure the balance is optimal.
Reading between lines "we've given as much edge" ? So this means previously it wasnt chance..Anyways...Read that paragraph as you will...
Using the statistics helps - you can see how many hands won and lost, shame it doesnt track the cards in the hands as well - would be nice - see how you lost ?
So I had a go for the last few days using the standard blackjack charted table that everyone states is a bible, giving it an open and clear mind.
Honestly ? Dealer winning streaks 9 and 10 hands in a row hitting 20 and 21 from nowhere ?
You kidding me right ?
I do like the nice look, but its just the same code behind go for the merits and then avoid it in my opinion.
Thank you for the merit though and the colourful tag.
As far as I know, in real life dealers can control the game flow (if they want to). I also think that tracking every single card and making a statistics over it is a bit harsh on developers. But I am not a gambler so I dont want to agree or disagree.
But I know you for so long that I know that you wont make these posts for nothing :)
I work in the casino IRL and have dealt many many hands of blackjack. I feel like it is pretty realistic.
Sometimes you are unlucky and the dealer will be on a winning streak. Just last night i was dealing to people and i kept getting 21 or blackjack . I was destroying people all night.
I wish we could play more than one hand at once though .
We do it differently at my casino, we have an electronic shuffling machine, the "one to six machine" (Six Decks) which is loaded every few hands and it just shuffles everything randomly .
Doubledeck blackjack is differnt though
Yeah, blackjack is a very rocky game, you can do pretty well, and then lose everything .
if it showed would be a lot easier to count cards lol, but i think it would be really cool to know how many decks or when a shoe is done
Real life blackjack is heavily favoring the dealer, they play with 4 decks at once( industry standard, can be more but usually isnt) the dealer will play through a set number of hands ( based on number of player and number of decks) then the entire remaining decks get switched out for new ones( to prevent counting). As a frequent table player I can say when it's one v one at the table expect the house to win often, but if it's three players and the dealer the odds looks a little more in your favour( since there are more cards out at once) that being said, I find this game mimics one v one so I only play it when I'm bored, and only in small amounts for bets
That dealer its just set to win you cant really tell me that he got 2 times 20 and 2 times natural,thats not right and besides of that learn to count the damn cards.
Ched is addressing all of the conspiracy theories from sore loser threads. The game is supposed to rake money from players that aren't making mathematically perfect decisions. Believe it or not, everyone doesn't play perfectly.
I see in your profile that you've taken data from 150 hands and made a graph. If you knew the first thing about statistics you'd realize that requires far more than 150 hands. Takes approximately 20k hands to balance luck. So go play absolutely perfect and do your homework for months then come back and report here.
It's insane to think that the coders need to rig a casino game in order to rake fake currency. Everything in the casino was designed for player's entertainment, they carry the same odds as any real life game. There's a reason casinos are in business, they entertain people while taking their money.
I've played many more hands than that, I was a 4% winner until this week. Seems like something was changed in the back end - the number of decks used or something. Dealer has smashed me constantly to the point of disbelief (150 hands a day) would be nice to know a bit more about the game, like how often it shuffles and decks used. seeing previous hands will just mean it's easier to card count ...
1. Not everyone plays perfectly. Basically, there is no perfect formula, statistics cannot predict chance. Otherwise we'd all be rich. 2. 150 hands - isnt enough to make a whole picture, I actually logged 5000 hands on the old system, but hey Im a B.I Analyst and company Director, I get bored sometimes, I love numbers. 3. Casinos are for entertainment, they exsist as people try the odds.
I'm not going to get personal like you did, thats childish, especially when you are talking semantics. (or trying to)
If YOU read the statement the code WAS altered to give the player an edge - Cheds own words.
NOTHING TO DO WITH CONSPIRACY THEORIES - simple reading tells you that the code was not chance, it was designed to take.
I'm guessing you quickly scanned the memo and thought you knew it all.. *facepalm*
Right now for your "insane to think.." Nope it isnt, it is not insane to think that coders want to remove cash from the game, well actually unless you have been living in a cave - no judgement by the way, caves can be nice. Let me bring you up to date.
The last few years its been common knowledge that coders (yes the same ones you are mentioning) are trying to remove a "fake" currency from the game and as much as they can. Be it through, stocks, banning players (multis), company changes, banks and suprise - casinos.
Which is a good thing in some respects as it is losing its value.
You and me could argue all day long. You with your vision, me with the logic but I think it wouldnt get far.
Yes its a game but as for reality - my arse, they have confirmed its fixed now so thats really all we needed to know.
What would be nice is a history of hands dealt in the order dealt, like Russian Roulette, Keno or the slots. no conspircasy implied, but why wasnt that included?
Yeah code was altered to player advantage because you could see the dealers hand during a split on your second hand.
Trying to rig a RNG to rape everyone in blackjack is not fun and would make people quit the game if all they did was lose money. The entire casino is designed to remove money from players, just like in real life; torn blackjack is no different. If you were a statistics junkie you'd know 5k hands isn't even enough data. I've played over a quarter mil hands of poker online and the luck swings can be absolutely brutal. Can run cold for 10k+ plus hands. Luck does not balance itself out for 20k+ hands according to Bruce Chen's "The Mathematics of Poker". Creating a pie chart with 150 hands is an obvious attempt to mislead people and you know it.
It's people like you that manage to tilt themselves so badly that they end up losing money while gambling because they think that since they've run poorly for 150 hands they're "due for some good luck". Start doubling your bets and find yourselves broke, then blame the game for being rigged. Learn how to control your emotions better and perhaps you won't get so angry at a random number generator that you have to create a pie chart and a forum thread after 150 hands. Oh right though, you're the logical one and i'm the man with a vision.
Blimey Deft, you got out of bed on the wrong side or just not had a coffee yet ?
Your last paragraph - just chill out. Nothing wrong with vision, world needs a lot more like this.
Firstly, you were the one that got personal, not me, I was stating my facts and points you jumped in and got personal, so lets stop with the childish comments now and grow up ? You and me that is, before Im just having a go at you, both kind of detracting from the argument/discussion.
Right, that said, down to fact. YOU and ME both agree:
As stated I agree with somethings you say, there is obvious and logic confirms this. We both know there is no perfect game in real life or virtual, good luck doenst follow bad, but change will eventually happen - sure not in 150 hands.
Now for a virtual dealer, this is where I think you differ from me.
The whole game is PHP code with maybe Java.
You believe that its something like
$My_Torn_card_value = rand(1,12); or maybe $My_Torn_card_value = rand(1,52);
And when it hits 1 thats an Ace and 11 and above are royal faces?
This random function gives a card value, it needs to be tweaked to make sure no duplicates are drawn, but you get the idea
My thought is different.
The dealers cards are weighted with a variable. Its very easy to do in a few lines, and easy to find if you type PHP weighted random numbers in google you can find some very elegant solutions.
I could copy a number of bits of code here, but heres a link
You think its chance, I think it is weighted, both can be seen working on the net, one can control to a degree the chance of winning the other is random (or luck).
Sadly we will never know unless the code is shown.
Previously, you saw the dealer's entire hand, now you only see the dealer's hole card and he draws new on the second hand. This is actually less in favor of the player then the previous system.
The only thing that is more in the player's favor is that you can now double down the second hand after splitting, or even choose to split again, but only on the second hand... Oh, and you can split any two face cards (but why would you want to?)
One thing that does seem strange, is the dealer deciding to stand on a number lower then yours instead of drawing another card. I played a few games for the merit though, and found the new blackjack very enjoyable.
We've given as much edge as realistically possible to the player, rather than the dealer. We'll be paying close attention to the long-term statistics to make sure the balance is optimal.
Firstly you dont win this much daily, you lose - thats a fact. How long you been playing ? A few days ? And you probably dont win more than a dozen hands in a row do you ?
Well Done NoNameYet, you have clearly shown your lack of ability to read a thread..Woohoo !!! congrats, I'll send a prize int he post.
Now once you've calmed down from your little head rush, fancy reading the actual post ?
Shall I refresh it fo you ?
Ched's post stated the "We've given as much edge as realistically possible to the player, rather than the dealer. We'll be paying close attention to the long-term statistics to make sure the balance is optimal."
Now, it doesnt take a person with a couple of brain cells to see that this line states the game has a coded bias, its not a game of chance, it is fixed.
Maybe I should take bets on how many other people are going to post how great they are and its not fixed in anyway..Any takers?
First off i didn't say i win this much daily, i just said i post profits, wether it be 5 mil or 200 mil like i did recently, my win/loss ratio is above 1.0 so its not a fact that i lose money daily in blackjack...
Total money gain
$15,859,537,965
Total money loss
$14,947,624,982
Money Gain/Loss ratio
1.0610
I also didn't state that it wasn't fixed in some way... i just adv people to limit their losses when you see you've got 12 - 16 and dealer has a 6 its always worth calling for me because the chances of him getting an A K Q J or 10 are better than me getting the one single card that get me to 21.... thus meaning he will have to call another card and get under 5...
Yes the game is fixed in some way but the more other people lose then the more goes back to the other players... 98.36% goes back to other players & that is a fact as of this moment in time...