Anyone heard of overclocking?
It's where people/groups build their custom made PC air/water cooled type. And force the computer to operate at faster speeds far exceeding the manufactured hardware. And clock their records, They even use liquid nitrogen to cool their pc down. There is even worldwide competitions for these guys.
Have any of you tried?
[image: lab501.net]
(Google it to get the full knowledge)
I have a 4790k I OC'd. On air now, so not too drastic, but in the next few months I will switch to liquid.
Well when I bought my computer last year I wasn't really thinking straight, then again money was a bit tight.
I have an i5 4570 which is a non K variant = no overclocking for me :(.
It still works fine though, great for gaming becauise I paired it up with a MSI GTX 970.
Yh air cooled can only go so far water cooled much better. You aint gonna catch me using liquid nitrogen. That's overclocking at it's best hope you do well.
I'm currently running a stable OC at 5GHZ per core on the Devils canyon i7 4790k low load temps too, using a H100i cooler and 7 sp120 fans.
That's some serious components there :)
With that devils canyon you could probably reach 4.7ghz at a score of 955 on cinebench R15 cpu test. (more and it might start to put strain on it). You ever going try water cooled?
One of the neat things about technology is that there are motherboards that can work around that. If your motherboard supports it, you can instead overclock your base clock to speed up your cpu. Be warned, EVERYTHING uses the base clock so overclocking it means everything gets overclocked as well. People have corrupted hard drives because of unstable speeds so you will need to take it slow and do a lot of math to make sure you don't screw everything up and start at square 1 again. Depending on how advanced your motherboard is, you can increase your base clock and underclock (almost) everything else to keep things stable.
I can overclock to 2.60GH bitches.....
*walks away crying*
Thats ok. I'm not really looking to overclock anyway. My rig can handle everything I throw at it.
The corsair H100i cooler is a closed loop water cooler, absolutely Zero maintenance with amazing results. I will be going over to the water cooling side very soon, as I'm either going to SLI 3-way GTX 970 or SLI 2 way GTX 980 with a 5920K CPU, my OC at 5GHZ its completely stable. I ran a stress test for 48H and without a problem, sailed through. It's one hell of a machine as is.
I have an i7 3770K 3.5 GHz oc'd to 4.5 GHz and 2 EVGA nVidia 660 GTX SC's in SLI. Completely air cooled. Never seen it getting hotter than 180 degrees Fahrenheit for the GPU's, around 125 degrees Fahrenheit for the CPU. I can take the side panel off and it will get 20 degrees cooler.
I've tried some benchmarks and scored high on the easier ones. When I tried some more abusive ones I got something I had never seen on any of my computers...the dreaded blue screen of death!
It's happened twice and I stopped doing benchmarks.
Yh people use liquid nitrogen when trying score very high on those abusive benchmark tests.
Never thought my thread on overclocking would get such a response :) only thought a few people on torn like 2 or 3 are interested or even know overclocking, but it appears i was wrong.
I actually thought about using a bag of ice and a little tabletop fan pointed in the general direction of my cpu and gpu's, lol. I haven't given up on the idea, it is on my bucket list.
I expect you would be pleasantly surprised with the results. Let me know how it goes.
Right now I have space issues, just not enough room for my experiment. Plenty of room inside of my tower (Corsair 600D), I will not put a bag of ice inside my pc.
If I do put a bag of ice inside my PC, it will melt. Wont it?
Then how will I play my games? And log on to my beloved torn.
I highly reccommend that you just throw a bucket of ice water on your pc. That would make the interwebs a much better place.
Stop copying my ideas.
No wait, Hermits ideas.
I don't overclock my self personally, but when I buy video cards I only buy the factory OC versions. You pay a little more but for the performance boost but also allows me not to worry about doing it myself, video cards are trickier to overclock, every factory OC has been stable for me so far.
I got top of the line i7, didn't see a reason to waste money overclocking on something that's already powerful enough to last a long time at stock speeds. That said most OC, I don't unless it's nearing the end of a parts lifetime and my hardware seems to last at least double what most do. Cool competition though...no pun intended.