Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Need some Tech Help

Started by Hades [1728299] on in Technology.

13 replies · 137 views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 14 / 14 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
14
Discussion span
→
People posting
7
Likes on archived posts
5
Authority score
8 / 100
Historical score
18 / 100
Story score
34 / 100
Engagement score
55 / 100
Hades [1728299]

Looking for some help to build a custom PC.

I have a budget of about 1-2k USD and would like to build a custom gaming PC.

I have looked into it and have put a PC together before but I am not very familiar with comparability of hardware's.


If some of you could be so kind as to list of a full build of parts that you might have in your own systems or if you know a good build inside my budget constraints it would be great.

Everything from the RAM that the motherboard should take and all that shiz.
Ideally as cheap as possible obviously. The cheaper the better but I don't want to totally cheap of it any buy shit components that will fail in a year or 2.

Ideally I would need about 16GB ram as I run a lot of heavy software.

I currently have a quad core running at 2.33 GHZ and 4G ram with a shit GFX card and a poxy 300 watt power supply.
Im in serious need of upgrading as I work from home on the software I need to run properly. Lag is a pain in the f**king ass yaknow.


CarolDanvers [1701260]

Not sure what your "work" is but guessing it is gfx related. If it is and you are looking to spend that amount then I would suggest a mac. Not a notebook but the imac desktop.

I switched to a 27 inch IMac, 3,4 GHz Intel Core i5 and it is a wonderfull machine for gfx. Ofc there are downsides and I'm not looking to start a pro - contra discussion here.

Just my opinion on what to buy if you are doing graphics professionally. PM me if more info needed

C.
Hades [1728299]

Thanks Carol. Yea its GFX related. Though I would like to be able to hope from one software to another while having them all open at the same time. Playing games now and then would be nice too.

I was thinking of a mac too but I find that there is a mountainous amount of more software available for windows compared to mac, I also have a lot of software I would love to keep that does not have a mac version to change to.

I could keep both computers running at the same time though that would be a pain in the ass.

Playing musical chairs is not what I had in mind. xD
CarolDanvers [1701260]

NP and not an excuse to not buy a mac. There are things like parallel desktop to have windows on your mac simultaniously or bootcamp to run OSX and windows seperatly. Google both and see the difference and possibilities. My windows 8.1 runs better on my mac than on most windows machines :-)

edit: links added
http://www.parallels.com/landingpage/pd/general/?src=r&gclid=COb_ppvv38QCFUTnwgodAmYAVg
http://www.howtogeek.com/186907/how-to-install-windows-on-a-mac-with-boot-camp/

or

http://www.itworld.com/article/2827064/virtualization/parallels-desktop-vs--boot-camp--which-is-best-for-running-windows-on-a-mac-.html
AwakeNoWokeFail [79965]

I suggest checking out Bernie Leach Customs on eBay. He'll give you what you want and within your budget. Bought a gaming rig from him for 1700 USD and have no regrets.
Equinox [1693701]

If you're after a great system that is capable of withstanding heavy programs, without difficulty, and great with multitasking heavy programs, then look at my setup on my profile. I do GFX designing as well as AFx, but that's only a hobby. I also game, these two aspects are what I built my machine around. but solely for GFX and AFX, it's a mad machine.

I recommend this:
i7-4790K
Asus Maximus Hero VII
Choice of case, with good air flow, or get a mid ATX with a CPU cooler, that's what I have. You'll want a good cooling system as the CPU will be under heavy loads. So it will need a lot of good cooling. I recommend the Corsair H100i CPU cooler, it's a closed loop water cooler, with a radiator and two fans to exhaust hot air, (you can change them to pull cool air, just flip them).
16GB DDR3 Ram, anything will do really, but go for Corsair Vengeance Pro or G. Skill Rip Jaws.
Graphics card, right, I have a Nvidia GTX 970, so far, I only have one. But I will probably SLI in future (Parallel link 2 of them) now as you're graphics designing, this would be GREAT for it, a 980 will be overkill. But if you start worrying you need more, then go for a SLI or just get a GTX 980.
You will no doubt need a 750W PSU Bronze Plus certified, min.
This set build will last you for a LONG Time, and will be good for the next 10 years or so.

This will blow your budget out of the water. I have similar + slightly better, it cost me £1400 GBP (and I was bargain hunting). I unfortunately have no idea what the exchange rate is. But that build woulr be more than perfect, and will last.


Hades [1728299]

I went the AMD route. I just purchased a motherboard and gonna buy 1 part at a time.

Its the MSI 970

Then im gonna get the AMD FX-8350 and work from there. xD


Sir_Deadpool [1892555]

there is also the MSI 970 GPU ok. so you need to be more detail when you give info about that sort of stuff.
this is what you are talking about: http://www.mwave.com.au/product/msi-970-gaming-am3-atx-motherboard-ab59540?gclid=CjwKEAjwsZyqBRCT1aq6qcD53DQSJACcen4CKn-56OL55hBkTRjbt34hEAT6NsVQeiziJwfHQ5bIFhoCt_nw_wcB

And this is what other will think of: http://www.mwave.com.au/product/msi-geforce-gtx-970-gaming-4gb-video-card-ab57039?gclid=CjwKEAjwsZyqBRCT1aq6qcD53DQSJACcen4Cv9ZKhACyhZ4H-D1Tiq6lygufeHvJlkFoErVRSxFdFxoCDPHw_wcB

t
hats just a little tip when giving detail about computer parts.
Hades [1728299]

Lol. They are 2 different names. One is GeForce GTX and one is not.
I never mentioned the GeForce GTX. You got confused.
LysergiX [1517643]

I just finished building my latest PC around the LGA 1150 with an i5. pcpartspicker.com is a great resource as is tomshardware.com.

Also, for some great videos on hardware and PC building, check out Linus Tech Tips on YouTube! Really great videos over there.

Here is a list of builds in your price range: http://pcpartpicker.com/guide/#X=105798,199406

A
nd here is a list of my personal build. I clocked in at around $1,200 by searching for deals: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CNWcrH

B
est of luck with your build! Keep us updated.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that my build doesn't have the 16 GB of RAM that you requested, but that's easy enough to remedy.