Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Internet help!

Started by Zziox [1022655] on in Technology.

13 replies · 80 views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 14 / 14 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
14
Discussion span
→
People posting
4
Likes on archived posts
10
Authority score
8 / 100
Historical score
14 / 100
Story score
33 / 100
Engagement score
53 / 100
Zziox [1022655]

Hey guys, I've had this issue where I can't connect to specific webpages including youtube and loads of others but I can connect to Google and eBay through my wired connection, it's been happening for 2 days now.
I've tried pinging the router and it works fine, I've tried ipconfig/release and renew, still the same, checked that my network drivers are up to date, which they are.
I've done a system restore and this solved my issue for around 20 mins then back to how it is now.
I have no access to the router/modem but I can ping it just fine.
Everything works fine over Wifi and when using my phone as a personal hotspot but not via Ethernet
My ISP claims everything is good from their side but I'm not so sure
Can anyone help please?
If more info is needed please ask :)
Many thanks
_Idol


MegaChintz [1770536]

Sounds like DNS is letting you down. Try pinging one of the websites that does not load content- if it can't be resolved its more than likely DNS

You can also use nslookup command in Windows, open cmd prompt type nslookup websiteIwanttocheck.com and press enter. Your DNS provider should be listed along with the resolved IP.

(Do the same over the WiFi on mobile data to confirm it does resolve that way)

You could try temporarily switching the wired lan to a public DNS provider

8.8.8.8 google
[IP address removed] opendns

Bear in mind the above is just for diagnostics, if you want to use them all the time, you need to get access to the router and set there, then set lan adapter DNS to automatic
Zziox [1022655]

alright well I cant ping youtube, it says it cannot find it.
I tried the nslookup for youtube and it didn't give me any results back apart from 4 timeouts, but for google I got 2 timeouts and then what looks to be a response, with google.com and an IP address? (first time using that command haha)
yes it works via wireless, same looking result I get from trying google on a wired connection.
How would I go about setting up to a public DNS? bare in mind I have no access to the router or anything other than an Ethernet port aha :(
Thanks!
mrmuskrat [1863650]

Here are those instructions in my own words and with pictures!

Open the Control Panel and click "View network status and tasks" or "Network and Sharing Center" depending on which view you have selected in the Control Panel.

[image: i.imgur.com]

Then click "Change adapter settings".

[image: i.imgur.com]

Right click your Local Area Connection and choose Properties.

[image: i.imgur.com]

Select "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)" and click Properties.

[image: i.imgur.com]

Click the radio button labeled "Use the following DNS server addresses:". Enter 8.8.8.8 into Preferred DNS server and 8.8.4.4 into Alternate DNS server. Click OK. Click Close. Close the Network Connections window.

You may have to restart the connection as you have previously using the command line.





MegaChintz [1770536]

Above should help you.

Bear in mind having a internet based DNS setting on an adapter could mean you can't resolve other devices on you home network by name (if you have any) as that's the job of your router to resolve local, then query external.

I would check with your ISP again, specifically ask them to check DNS providers set on your router are working, it sounds like they timeout.
Zziox [1022655]

Alright thanks guys! I'll try this when I get home today and hopefully it works and I can contact my ISP about it!
I'll let you know how it goes and thanks for putting the instructions on here, much appriciated :)
Zziox [1022655]

Well I had a go at what you suggested and it didn't work, I set it as you have shown then did a ipconfig/release and renew but it's still the same, cant load up youtube for example.
Any other ideas?
Zziox [1022655]

Yeah that's what happens, I can get google and torn just fine but say I load up a site that doesn't work, I get server not found, same across all browsers. also effects my steam as I can't play games on it :( haha
MegaChintz [1770536]

Thanks for the update.

Ensure you don't have power saving enabled on the lan adapter then;

Appreciate you might need to faff about to achieve this but..

Can you get into the non-connective state then run the following cimmands in the cmd prompt

Ipconfig /all
Netstat /aon
Tracert www.cheese.com

I
would need you to capture the results and provide. To do this after each result, right click and select mark. Drag over the results and hit enter. Paste & save into notepad temporarily, then Paste into your reply when you can connect again

Let me know if u get stuck
Zziox [1022655]

I don't have access to any of the network past the socket in my room which isn't the best to be honest
yeah I'll give it a go, my ethernet has been in this state for 3 or 4 days now aha but yeah sure I'll give it a go when I get up in the morning as I'm off to bed soon but yeah I can do that :)
also I have a laptop on the wireless that works fine so I'll get back to you tomorrow :)
cheers
_Cynic_ [206537]

Any chance you have a virus/malware of some type?

I would say check your hosts file. (C:WindowsSystem32etcdrivers) the files will be called just hosts
You can open it with notepad.
One trick some viruses do is put in a lot of blank lines and then insert some entries right at the bottom so at first glance you cannot see them.
MegaChintz [1770536]

Hiya,

First off apologies for not replying sooner- in RL someone dropped dirty (flu) bomb on me and I've been AWOL for a couple of days.

I don't normally jump straight to assuming its always malware, but _Cynic_ is right to suggest you at least check the PC is clean. There's plenty of tools out there available and lots of threads on this forum that suggest good ones to try. (the hosts file should be scanned for nasties by these anyway.)

Given you have no access to the router yourself, someone must manage your connection to a degree, so if you are using a connection supplied by Work, or School residence etc- its possible some website access is blocked through a http proxy (whenever you visit websites these go via http) - However I would expect these to be blocked all the time, so I don't believe this relates to your query. If the laptop is on a wireless connection to the same router- this also confirms its not part of the issue, as both should be affected.

Having ensured the PC has not got some malware recently picked up, you can then also try to reset the TCP/IP Stack, which should set your connectivity to a clean state:


https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/299357 (Follow the steps based on your own version of Windows.)

Going back to my last post if you find you still need to do this- the steps I requested were for the following reasons:

ipconfig /all (tells us everything about your NW adapter and its current settings)
netstat /aon (tells us about all current network connections and their current state - established, listening,wait etc)
tracert www.cheese.com (should effectively provide a list of "stepping stones" taken from your router to the IP resolved in DNS for that website)

Essentially nothing personal is revealed by providing this info, apart from the actual IP address of your internet connection.

Lastly, don't forget to put your DNS setting back to automatic once all is ok. (revert the previous instructions provided by mrmuskrat)

Good Hunting!
Zziox [1022655]

I've 110% not got any virus of any kind haha I do forensics and security at uni(computing) also I had a look at the hosts file and noting was found, I've done all steps suggested in this thread and more of my own :) I've spoken to my ISP and theyre looking into the matter as we speak, hoping to hear back from them asap