Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Multis

Started by AmErisha [1874713] on in Questions & Answers.

30 replies · 313 views · thread synced · 6 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 31 / 31 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
31
Discussion span
→
Authority score
67 / 100
Historical score
29 / 100
Story score
40 / 100
Engagement score
67 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

AmErisha [1874713]

Serious question:
Is having multiple accounts itself illegal or is it just transferring money and items between them?

Part of me wants to try starting over and playing again with my current understanding of the game, but I don't want to lose my current progress. For those of you that have reset your accounts: Why did you decide to sacrifice your position to start anew? And was it worth it?
McDallas [14757]

Well, hmm, it's mainly illegal as having various accounts and allowing them to interact would give unfair benefits.

Technically if you do not interact whatsoever there is little difference to having an additional person in the household hold an account. Would you stop using your main account during your experiment?

I have wondered about some of the guides, and it it were not necessary for the writers to have had additional accounts to test their theories.

Where the cut off is between legal and illegal additional accounts lies, I do not know.

Hell no I wouldn't start anew. f**k that!

PS at 161 days old you ARE new!
bogie [148747] Admin Staff

Multiple accounts is illegal.

Middlemanning/avoiding IP blocks is illegal.

If you want to restart then it's exactly that, you don't keep anything... otherwise what's the point? You just want to be a big fish in a small pond? Stroke your own ego showing off in front of genuine new players? Or just be a bully to them?

Transferring money between your restarted accounts would result in fed time for middleman and any of the stuff you transfer being deleted.

As daphne says... you ARE new... I never saw any point in restarting anyway, and your reason just seems even more pointless...
AmErisha [1874713]

I get that I am relatively new to this game, but at 161 days, that's nearly half of a year that I have put in and I don't want to throw that away unless I have a good sense that the trade is worth it.

Bogie - my reason may seem pointless to you, but I am used to playing games that encourage multiple characters. I have no problem with not sharing anything between my characters besides my knowledge of game mechanics.

I'd still really appreciate some input from people who have reset their accounts.
Jason187 [1808995]

You will never get the 161 days worth of working stats back. Even if it isn't much, it's more than 0. Same with your battle stats. The only reason I could honestly see someone restarting is if they have made many enemies in their torn life and have just pi$$ed too many people off to be able to leave the hospital for any considerable amount of time. Even in this scenario, it isn't wise to restart imo unless you've learned how to keep your head down.
AmErisha [1874713]

"You will never get the 161 days worth of working stats back. Even if it isn't much, it's more than 0. Same with your battle stats. "
That exactly is a large part of why I'm not just doing this without giving it real consideration.
HandsomePants [1897243]

So given that multiple accounts is illegal even without interaction between them, as stated above, then the only reason to restart and give up those stats would be so that you can compare yourself with other players your (new) age... which is kinda pointless anyway right?

So why not just soft-restart? Quit your job and your faction, divorce your spouse, move into a shack, sell everything, reset your merits and put all your remaining assets into the bank for 2 months. Change your name and bingo! Re-evaluate how you want to play and get at it, don't worry about other people or comparing yourself to them - There's always going to be someone stronger, richer, luckier, etc.

Regardless, good luck!
bogie [148747] Admin Staff

You'd have no issue getting back the karma again at least, given the amount you spam in the F&G/useless threads to farm that...
AmErisha [1874713]

People seem to be assuming that the only reason to reset is to be better than other people or to fix some major problem like making so many people mad that I am constantly hosped. Neither is the case. Maybe some of you understand, maybe not, but I just like starting over and playing with a better understanding of the game mechanics. The only problem with Torn is that this isn't just as simple as creating a new character / account because it's illegal and the devs actually care about that rule.

I don't mind this. It just means that starting over means not being able to come back and play this character more later.
AmErisha [1874713]

True. I actually started posting in those forums thinking it was really helping people. Honestly it's also the thing I care the least about. I only want the 1K karma for the benefits of reaching the milestone. Aside from that it seems like a useless metric. But then much of Torn is like that.
AmErisha [1874713]

Not really. I'm not expecting much. Even if it turns out there are no benefits contrary to what others have said, I wouldn't really be disappointed. Maybe I'll wait until I have the 1K karma so I will know if it's worth farming on my new account.
Alcoholic [231580]

Okay I have a hypothetical question.

Lets say you were an really old player quit a long time ago, and wanted to play again, not remembering his log in he created a new account, (which uses his primary email and a cool username he likes). Now fast forward a week or so, he figures out his old account name and password and has never actively use the other one again. How would that person get that account deleted without getting in trouble, and finally being able to use his normal email address again.

I mean hypothetically speaking...
CastleQueen [1735522]

Disappointment? Hey, even though free roam didn't turn out all that useful since you can just use the highlighter script anyway, the merit was still pretty cool... xP
AmErisha [1874713]

Hypothetically speaking I would imagine that you would have a new ip address given that most of them are dynamic, meaning they get changed by your service provider regularly. But even then Torn's ip tracking probably doesn't go back that far. Far enough to police current players but not too far back because at some point it's not worth spending the resources.

So at that point, it probably wouldn't matter. But if you are worried about that I'm sure you could talk to the devs and they could try to help you find the account.

Sorry, I misread your post. If you wanted to stop using your new account and go back to the old one I would bet that the devs would understand and would have no problem fedding the new account because that is how they handle trades between multis anyway.
bogie [148747] Admin Staff

You'd want to speak to a secretary and they should just be able to delete it the 'newer' account with no negative issues, after a thorough log search. (Alternatively you might be able to change your mind once and decide that you'd rather keep the new account, in which case they could do that too)

Worst case scenario is that your main account would end up with a written SYSTEM warning, actual punishment (fed etc) would only come if you had transferred stuff between the accounts.

All the warning would mean for you is that if you were to create non-interacting multis within the next 6 months you would serve a small fed sentence straight away rather than just being warned for it.