Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

oc respect

Started by BILLY_JACK [823069] on in Suggestions.

73 replies · 312 views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 74 / 74 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
74
Discussion span
→
Authority score
51 / 100
Historical score
39 / 100
Story score
52 / 100
Engagement score
70 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

bogie [148747] Admin Staff

Tricky... how would it be divided... just a standard division between the number of team mates? Kinda hard to justify that if so in my opinion as, especially on higher tier OCs, different players will have different levels of contribution and sacrifice made... a simple division might not be all that fair.

Whilst I don't oppose the idea I'm not yet in a position to support it either until some such issues could be worked out.
BILLY_JACK [823069]

I have been here for 7 years and in factions most of the time. I am sure someone can figure a way for it to work. I can only imagine what respect i would have if oc respect would have been counted even if it were to be split evenly. Personally i have no problem with an even split.
Butters [34298]

Strongly disagree - it's fine as it is currently, a reflection of attacks you've done during chains for your faction, which is just as it should be imo. Players who sit on their arse and never do a single attack in chains shouldn't be getting respect earned merits.
-18- [1531198]

Not really, you always have those vultures who just wait for the bonus hits, swoop in and steal them without contributing to the chain at all.

My battle stats are terrible most HOF wars I can't take the bonus hits, so pretty much all my respect gained is from filler hits and no bonuses. I'd love an extra source of respect to come in to bulk mine up a little. I only recently got the 5k respect gained medal due to bonuses being 'stole' - Seems players are more bothered about taking them then they're about just chaining, I've never really seen the big temptation to have a huge respect gained stat, to me it just shouts 'Bonus hoarder'. This happens in factions I guest in, joined when I was a lower age ect.

Either way, I think it would be an awesome addition if OC respect counted towards your respect gained.
Butters [34298]

They're still hitting though and such vultures tend to be self-policing before too long. Personally in my faction we spread them around where possible and a lot of the time it's more a game of trying to avoid taking them.

Regardless of those bonus respect hit issues though these merits are supposed to be an award for attacks you've done for the faction - you still can't really make an argument for players who sit back and never do a single attack getting given those respect gained merits imo.

I guess I'm one of those "bonus hoarders" if that's how you want to put it, but don't be offended if I feel inclined to want to tell tell you to piss off and quit yer moanin' in response as I've busted my arse for many years and have forgone many hundreds of millions of stats to rack up that respect for the faction.
Jai [918327]

I agree with your suggestion.

And butters, it does not make that much of a difference. Planned robberies for example give you only an average of 1 respect per person per day.

So sitting on your arse for 1000 days gains you...................1000 respect. Your argument is invalid.


but 1000 respect will certainly matter for many people. Just because you envy them, does not mean they shouldn't have it.
BILLY_JACK [823069]

I think it should count because like chaining it adds to the respect gained for your faction. If you were not in the ocs then that respect is not gained, because all factions are not strong or doing higher ocs. If you do not get credit for respect from ocs then we should just eliminate respect gained on ocs and make ocs only give money, but i do not like that idea
Butters [34298]

So you're saying that sitting on your arse and "earning" 1 respect per day for your faction is somehow meritorious enough to warrant an award (or three as per your example)? Not quite sure how I'd be envious in this situation but ok, whatever.

Claiming that something is invalid just because doesn't make it so for the record - my point that these awards should be earned by doing attacks for your faction as they currently carries a lot more validity than what you just responded with there.

smh


Jai [918327]

Well OC's earn money(indirectly) and crime experience too, we shouldn't get those either since we sit on our asses and do nothing.
Jai [918327]

Indirectly, yes. Some awards become easier to earn if you have more money and crime experience. If you get hosped after OC , you can receive meds used awards too

And btw, the awards for staying in faction for x days, the awards for being a torn citizen for x years etc etc are all earned by sitting on our asses. At least OC requires you to be active and have decent crime exp. So should those awards be removed as well?

Besides if OC's are to be expanded in crimes/faction 2.0 , then you certainly need this update as well.
Valaskjalf [1503919]

Add all members CE then divide your CE by group CE for percentage of respect for successful outcome.

Could be abused by OC planners to boost respect though regardless of how respect is split from an OC.
Butters [34298]

I think the answer you were looking for is no. Stop making stuff up. Going the "well other awards are done the same way" route doesn't work either. Keep trying though - the awards are meant to be for respect earned when attacking and no "just because" reasoning is going to change my mind on that front.
Jai [918327]

The awards are meant to be for respect earned. I do not recall ched saying that they were meant for attacks. Even if that is his reasoning, it needs to change.

There was also a suggestion to add respect gained by the tv network special to this respect, I would love to hear your opinion on that, since that also requires us to sit on our asses.

And it's ched's mind that needs to change, not yours. I hope he responds to rationality.
Butters [34298]

The awards are given for respect earned by the player - keep trying to quibble about the semantics of whether a player who doesn't do anything in what is essentially an automated OC is actually "earning" anything as much as you like, but it's clear that it is intended to be for respect gained by doing warbase hits (otherwise it would include other forms of respect gains already).

I had the same opinion for that special as well I think you'll find - nice try though.

Seriously why do people always expect to just be given an easier way out for things like this? It's not like you have to spend years doing warbase hits to get the meagre amount of respect needed in order to get the first few respect gained awards that would be in play if OC respect was divided up and counted for players (as you mentioned earlier) and it actually results in you doing something positive for your faction, which in the longer term benefits everyone in it when that respect players have earned for the faction with the warbase hits they have done is used on better faction perks.

This boils down to wanting to be given something for doing nothing other than logging in daily, no matter how you want to paint it - we have enough of those "easy as" awards as you have mentioned previously, so imo the awards in question here are just fine being for respect gained by doing attacks for your faction in wars, as I've mentioned several times.

I for one hope that on something like this Ched doesn't go all namby pamby on us and keeps the triggers for these awards as they were first intended to be. Your desire to make it easier doesn't equate to "rationality" on your part in any way whatsoever, or a lack thereof on mine (or Ched's if he does indeed feel the same way).

Saying that something needs to change just because you want it to doesn't necessarily make it so. We're obviously not going to see eye to eye on this, so let's just agree to disagree.