Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Duolingo?

Started by Herodotus [1670169] on in Technology.

7 replies · 57 views · thread synced · 7 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 8 / 8 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
8
Discussion span
→
People posting
4
Likes on archived posts
3
Authority score
7 / 100
Historical score
16 / 100
Story score
30 / 100
Engagement score
46 / 100
Herodotus [1670169]

Has anyone else tried using Duolingo (app and site) to learn another language? I've been fiddling with it for a while and have been having fun, but I'm curious what others think.

Currently using: Swedish, German, French, Turkish, and Dutch.
Flugkatze [1718691]

Since you pointed it out I'm playing a bit with English so far.
When I'm done with my correspondence course I will refresh my French language skills with duolingo.
Maybe later start with Spanish.
halberstram [1899754]

I tried practising French with it but it felt too basic and the notifications were never ending. I turned them off but that meant I forgot to practise.
TheChechen [1649392]

One of best "tools" not "teachers", meant maintain and increase proficiency language, not necessaily best for learning a completely new language from scratching. I use duo personality, and recommend for sure. Make sure are using an official language pack and not a newer less tested/user created language pack, also is developer aspect to the app if you fancy that sort. the German & Russian are pretty accurate but no perfect, my first and second languages so I can verify

-Chechen Approved
Herodotus [1670169]

It's ironic that your first and second languages are my (goal) second and third.

But, agreed. It definitely has it's limitations, but compared to competitors like Rosetta Stone (200-300 USD) it's an awesome value, short of formal courses. I do think many duolingo power-levelers would be sorely disappointed if they tried to apply their skills in a formal circumstance.
halberstram [1899754]

I used it a while ago but got rid of it. It's only good if you have a lot of spare time throughout the week. But for a free language app, it's really good.