Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

The Good Sumerian

Started by ded [341315] on in Roleplay.

68 replies · 381 views · thread synced · 8 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 69 / 69 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

T04st3r [1891984]

"I have my digital portfolio available" Marshall offered helpfully "I was here to do some independent photography so I didn't bring my physical copies." He scratched the nape of his neck with his now free hand. He sat down and started disassembling his camera again "I know a place we can sit down and review them... if now is good?" He carefully stored the device in it's compartment. His movements were precise and practiced, it was obvious he'd done this hundreds if not thousands of times.

He stood up and stretched. "the details of whatever you have in mind can be discussed after you see my work, of course. Unless you'd rather meet later, I know I just got here and I need to do something other than sit down for a while. So no rush." He'd already had work in mind but it wasn't guaranteed pay. Couldn't beat steady pay.
ded [341315]

Ai buys a glass of juice from an airport vendor. She offers Mr. Ericson one as well.

"Yes, we should walk. The corporate limousine is waiting, so it may be better to do this sooner, rather than later. Don't worry, its a one-way ride for me, so if we don't reach an agreement by the time I reach my hotel, the Osaka Corporation driver will take wherever you wish, with my thanks."
T04st3r [1891984]

"Of course," Marshall followed the woman to the limousine. He suddenly felt distinctly uncomfortable with his casual travel attire as they approached the vehicle "My portfolio consists mostly of nature shots and candid photos. I dislike posed photos because they tend to lack feeling. I guess that's the artist in me." It was the same warning he gave all of his potential employers, he'd found it was better for both parties if he brought that detail up immediately.
ded [341315]

Ai sensed that Marshall was nervous, and did her best to make him at ease. She motioned the driver away and opened the door to the limo herself. As she did this, she expressed that she was delighted.

"My name is Ai, and I am American-Japanese. I am a Zen Buddhist, so I have a great love of nature. I very much look forward to seeing your work!"

Ai invited him into the car, and reviewed his work. As she expected based on his having noticed her from all the people in the crowd, she considered his work well-done and observant. He was just who she needed for this mission, and she offered him a job with the Osaka Corporation.
strange2 [68827]

*The shepard seemed contented with his payment. Strange was pleased to have gotten a few more herd beasts to take back to Uruk. They would fetch him a good price, with the other things in his hold, he might not have to leave Uruk for a few months, though he likely would anyways. Idleness chaffed him, and his boat was a nice enough home.

He had just gotten the tame beasts into his boat when he noticed a young woman approaching his fire. He was perplexed as to why she was out in these fields, as she was not clothed as a farmer would be. Part of him expected a trap of some nature, but strange soon silenced these voices in his mind. He had made great strides in his life by being trusting.*

Hail! *he said raising his hand in greeting. *
I am Strange
Son of Hazi the Builder
Merchant of Uruk

Tell me your name
Sit by my fire
Do not be afraid
I am a man of honor
Ur-Nammu would find
not a single fault
within me
MissThief [1757213]

Nedjem came closer to the small fire, she was very excited because this would be her first encounter with someone who not lived in the temple.She felt her heart pounding in her chest and took a good look at the man. She raised her hand as well to greet him back.

My name is Nedjem and i am a acolyte from the temple of Eridu. Thank you for letting me sit by your fire, i have been walking all day and my feet can't go any further.
If you want i can share some nuts and berry,s with you that i found near the road earlier today, there fresh and sweet and some taste like honey. She opend up her litle bag and placed the little treasures before her.






T04st3r [1891984]

Marshall marveled at his luck, he'd come here looking for work and he'd landed a well paying job. That wasn't in his original plan, but who was he to complain? "I'm glad you like it. Not many people see landscapes for their natural beauty except as a decoration not an expression of what our great world contains." A satisfied smile spread across his face then in a deadpan voice he added "They only really look at superficial beauty, like models in a magazine."

He cleared his throat "So, when would you like me to start? I assume I'll be receiving my instructions at our meeting place. I have arranged for lodgings already I just need to know when and where to meet you." He took his time packing up his stuff placing everything methodically in it's predetermined slot. Habit was his best weapon when time was of the essence for that perfect shot.
ded [341315]

"The Osaka Corporation is the premier security and technology company in the world. We excel in biotech, among other things. However, sometimes, we need to test our product. This, in a sense, is one of those times. I have been asked by the Prime Minister of Japan to do a sort of.. covert operation. You won't be taking pictures, I'm afraid. But, your skillset makes you a perfect candidate to, instead, set the stage for a perfect shot. You've worked with models, yes? I am going to break a man out of prison. Your job is to meet up with him, while I prepare our escape. You will have a moderate amount of clothes, make-up, fake beards, and so forth to work with. There will be a picture of the man, the man himself, and a disguise for him, complete with paperwork and documents."

Ai paused for a moment to let this all sink in.

"Your job is to escort the man into the building unseen, get him made up as quickly as possible, and enter the limo, and the driver will escort you both back to where we shall depart this country. Not even I know where we are headed. The man himself will tell us. In exchange for this, you will may name your own salary, but I'm not sure where our path will take us, but I can assure you, you will be the highest paid photographer in the world. I can also promise you an excellent opportunity for some skyshots as we leave Australia."

Ai smiled, hoping this would be enough that he wouldn't back out knowing the true nature of the job....
strange2 [68827]

*Strange did not want to be insulting, and as such he took a few of the nuts and popped them into his mouth. He chewed appreciatively, even though it was not quite what he had in mind for his mid afternoon repast. It was a height of ill manners to refuse an act of generosity. *

So, young traveler
what brings you to leave the temple?
Eridu is not my patron god
no
my family has always looked to Nammu for guidance
I sacrifice livestock to Inanna every solstice
Nevertheless
I have been to the temple
of Eridu
and it is a great building
So i return to my question
Why did you leave?
MissThief [1757213]

Nedjem was happy that Strange took some nuts to eat because she always learned to share, only she had the feeling that he didn't liked them that much.

She became quiet because she was still in doubt and she had to make a choice to tell her story to him or not. She did not care what god or goddess he worshiped, every temple had his own meaning in life and she had respect for that.She opened her eyes and decided to tell him her story, to build trust.

I lived in the temple of Eridu all my life and i am a healer in human and animals there and in my last year of my study.I left the temple because i am on a journey that will take one year.In that one year i will help people outside the templewalls and in return i only may except what they are willing to give me in return for my help.

She did not tell him that this was her first day on the road and that she felt fear inside her body, but it felt good that she told him her story.She saw some beasts wondering arround his camp, only one of them had a little limp. Are they yours she asked him.


strange2 [68827]

A few of them are
Most of mine are loaded
*He gestured to his little boat.*
To be taken to Uruk
and sold


*Strange thought for a moment.*

If you have traveled all of this way
You must be hungry
do you like bread
bread with honey?
I have both
and sharing is no burden
to the pure of heart
MissThief [1757213]

If it is no burden to you then i am happy to share with you the bread and honey that you have. In return i will take a look
at the beast with the painful foot, if i heal it for you it will get a better price on the market.

Nedjem opened her bag again and took out her ointment of comfrey that she made on the road. She walked over where
the beast was standing and looked at his foot, there was a little small wound but it was not life threatening. She sat down and began to treat it, she felt the beast relax and she knew it was going to be alright and he would walk normal again, the small wound would heal fast and there will be no scar to be seen.

She came back and returned the ointment in her bag, her hands still smelled of it but it was a nice smell so she was not bothered with that.While she was waiting on the bread and honey she asked if Uruk was a nice place because she has never been there before, she only new some little tales that the priests had told her in the temple so she was very curious.


strange2 [68827]

*While the priestess tended to the injured beast, strange returned to his little boat. He fetched a loaf of course traveling bread made of barley and a small pot of honey. He returned to his place by the fire, and set these things out. When asked about Uruk his hairy face split with a smile. *

Uruk is my home
City of my heart
Walls built by Gilgamesh's hands
Beautiful in all seasons
Welcoming to travellers
Full of life
Vibrant markets
Rich in spices
Myrrh
and fruit

I am homesick just thinking of it.
MissThief [1757213]

Nedjem listened and saw a beautiful smile on Strange his face when he was talking about Uruk and she smiled as well, she loved to hear stories about other places.In her mind formed a plan but she was not sure if she could ask that question to Strange.

She wanted to go to Uruk and see everything that he has told her about, maybe there where herbs there that she never had seen before and she could help other people because that was her greatest task of all.But could she travel in a boat, she never set foot on one before and she heard tales of seasickness from the priests who did, they where hanging over the railing the whole time of there journey and that was not a pleasant thing to see if she believed them.

The question was growing inside her mind and for she new it went over her lips " do you take people too Uruk in your boat?" Her face turned red from excitement and her heart was pounding again in her chest, she was looking at her bread and honey not sure if she could look up again.



T04st3r [1891984]

Marshall considered the details "I'm not much of an actor but I can definitely disguise someone, and myself if needed. I didn't always have a makeup artist." He scratched his chin still mulling over the details "I assume you have some kind of code word so I know it's him. Unless you're handing him off to me." a frown crossed his face as he considered his options, knowing what he did now would she let him leave?

He crossed his arms ruminating over the details he'd received "Secondly, are you going to need a disguise before the jailbreak? You are going to be the one doing the hard part. It's probably best you aren't recognized, you are rather unique." Being party to a jailbreak wasn't something he felt entirely comfortable with and he hoped his poker face was good enough to keep that a secret. Somewhere though, he was intrigued by the opportunity to be able to explore the unknown. He'd always been curious... maybe, just maybe this would sate him. Maybe.
ded [341315]

Ai smiled.

"Don't worry about me. We just have to get him disguised and dressed, and give him the matcching documents. Then nobody will be any the wiser." Ai reconsidered ending it there.

"Excepting us, of course!"
strange2 [68827]

*Strange gave a small smile. *

I am no ferry-man
I am a merchant
I move things
Not people.

*He paused for a moment, dipping his finger into the small jar of honey and popping it into his mouth. A smile shone through his beard. He removed his finger from his mouth, and spoke again. *

However
I am going to Uruk
If you wish to travel there
I will allow it
I will not have it said
That Strange the Merchant
obstructs a servant of the gods.
MissThief [1757213]

Nedjem's heart skiped a beat when she heared the answer to her question, she almost made a little dance around the fire because of the happiness that she felt. She was going to a whole new place, meet strange things that she had never seen before in her life.

She got up on her feet and layed her hands on her heart, making a deep bow towards Strange, thanking him for his great kindness to her.I will always be in your debt she said to him, when you need me just give word and i will be there to help in anyway possable.When do you want to leave this place here she asked him. She wanted to collect more herbs because she didn't want her bag to go empty and she needed them to heal humans and animals, maybe for a little bit cooking too if Strange wanted her to help with that. A thing she was good at too and thinking of food made her stomache rumble again.
T04st3r [1891984]

Marshall nodded "Just let me know when and where. I'll get the job done. Otherwise, I have nothing else to do for the moment except maybe find food. I haven't eaten since my in flight meal earlier today. Well, yesterday if you take time zones into account."

He sighed and leaned back in his chair, an arm draped over his stomach. The other clutching his camera bag "I know a few places we could get some decent take out food from if you're hungry as well."
ded [341315]

Ai laughed, a good-natured sort of laugh that would hopefully put Marshall at ease.

"You must be famished! Unfortunately, I find that my limo does poorly in drive-through takeaway lines. I'll take you to have a nice meal, on me of course."

By "me," Ai referred to the Osaka Corporation, which had long been approving her stops at the finest restaurants worldwide as business expenses. This would be no exception. Ai was here on business, but she had no worries, and a rock-solid alibi already in place. She made a quick call to her concierge, who would determine which restaurant would best meet their needs and would expediently persuade them to make a short-notice VIP reservation for two. They would have the day to take in the sights, enjoy themselves for a day or two, and then fly back to Japan. They would be seen doing it. They could prove that they did it. The exception to the previous sentence is that they, in reality, wouldn't.

Ai considered the utter ironclad nature of her plan, as the concierge gave an address and a reservation time, which Ai typed into a console to display to the driver. Ai tended not to talk to the limo driver, except to tip him or her at the end of the day. Ai, being a generous tipper, found that they didn't seem to mind this, and she seemed to make people uncomfortable, as kind and friendly as she appeared to be. When asked why, they normally said that she was just too perfect. Ai didn't care to try to fix that. It seemed illogical to her.