109 replies · 505 views · thread synced · 6 days ago
· View on torn.com
About this thread
Posts archived:110 / 110 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
Archived posts
110
Discussion span
→
Authority score
36 / 100
Historical score
51 / 100
Story score
56 / 100
Engagement score
76 / 100
People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.
Ceb[68232]Committee
· 4 likes · A False story regarding the origins of Cheese: A long time ago, there was once a village of coconut farmers. They sold their coconuts to traveling merchants and acquired a vast wealth. The people of the world love coconuts after …
Ceb[68232]Committee
· 4 likes · Dana and Riley sat next to each other on the bus to somewhere. Riley met Dana while on holiday, and now they were together. Dana was a transfer student taking courses for the season. Riley was an adventurer. A representative …
Heads up, I don't plan to be super into this, more of a casual hour killer whenever I can't sleep or waiting on something or something to that nature.
Its Creative Writing! Its a hobby i'm trying to hone. I think i'll do fine with the 'creative' part, but idk about the 'writing' part of it...which is why I'm going to get you guys to help me.
So, I'll be doing creative writing in this thread; there are a few rules though.
1) You guys come up with some stipulation for the writing. It can be a subject, a genre, an idea, a stupid rule, anything. I will write about it. If you want a children's fairy tale as an allegory for periodontal disease without using the word 'for' and having to stop writing at the word 'home', then that's what I'll do. It's completely up to you.
2) Once I start to write, I may not stop for any reason. not to fix a typo, not to piss, not to check my messages. If I stop, then I have to post it as is. As long as I don't do anything else, I can sit here for as long as I like to think about what I will say though.
3) I may not use a theme or story I've already made, but I HAVE to include a pre-made character into the story from my previous works. I may not use the same character twice in a row unless necessary by stipulation. It'll take time for me to build up these characters, so this rule will come into play later.
4) I'll will be giving out a random mil here and there for suggestions, stipulations, and criticisms.
5) Don't get mad when I quit doing this/if it never picks up. I'm strapped for time and just want an opportunity to write for fun. That doesn't mean I have time for it or I will always find it fun. That said, I'll try to at least do 2-3 stories.
Ok, I think that's everything. So, what's the first thing I'm writing?
[Note: I posted the first 4 chapters of the novel I'm working on. You can find that on Page 2]
Erm, I just wanted to support this cause it looks like a good thing, and was gonna post an idea, but feel intimidated after what Cathead posted. Mine was gonna be something simple...like a story about cheese lol.
Looking forward to hearing your creative piss-holding musings!
Damn, if thats the rule then that's what I'll do. The intent is to hone my narrative skills, but this may be an excercise to give me perspective on how to be more mindful of the environment. I'll do sounds then tell the story, and we'll see how well they mesh. Cheese will still be involved.
That's tricky stuff! I'll need to give it another shot in the future. the idea was to have 3 sounds at a time, that way I could have a bit of leeway with how active or inactive the environment was using ambient noise such as the clock's ticking...tricky stuff indeed.
A long time ago, there was once a village of coconut farmers. They sold their coconuts to traveling merchants and acquired a vast wealth. The people of the world love coconuts after all, and trade came easy to the quiet village. One merchant, who traveled the seas, shared the magnificence of coconuts with all the worlds that the sea bound. In return, she brought back to the village all sorts of wonders. Dyes, silver, wooden automatons, narcotics, salt, and even alien creatures the villagers had never seen before were all carried over beyond the sea.
The merchant had made herself quite a vast fortune through this little coconut village; she had to buy a second ship just to carry all of her profits in! This was a vital mistake though. After leaving the coconut village to voyage and fill her ships with the mysteries of the world, she journeyed to an island she had never come across before. Making landfall, she claimed the island as her own. Using a state of the art drill, she dug deep down to the very coore of the island...that typo really f**king bothers me...anyway, she unloaded most of her treasures (the nonperishable shit at least) from her ship and buried it on the island. With the rest of the treasure, she journeyed afar searching for new islands to sell her coconuts to. Her other ship was now captained by her first mate. He took the the treasure, shit! I f**ked up. She took the coconut ship, he took the treasure ship. He returned to the coconut island to fill the ship with coconuts in exchange for the remaining treasure.
It hurt him to lose all the treasure for dull, unimaginable coconuts, but the prospect of profit was slightly stronger. He set sail on behalf of his Captain, but greed slowly took him. He came up with a plan! He'd return to the island of treasures owned by the merchant, and replace all the riches with coconuts. He'd then find a new island to hide the riches in.
In this way, he could take everything for himself, and still return to get the coconuts for trade. Never again would he have to obey the merchant who attained the riches. He carried out his plan flawlessly. A strange island existed only a day arou- away from the treasure island. He unloaded the riches there, and returned for the coconuts.
And that's when shit hit the fan. Upon his arrival, the merchant was landed on the old treasure island! The first mate turned his ship around, but not without being spotted by the merchant. She gave chase, and quickly arrived on the old treasure ship's range. She fired on her old ship . The first mate had no choice but to battle his former boss.
I'm not sure what should happen, because I'll be damned if a woman wins in a fight against a man, but on the same hand...justice always prevails. Both ships sink and they all die.
And one of those alien creatures the coconut farmers had were cows. That's where the first cheese came from. The End.
That is probably the biggest pile of shit I've ever written. It doesn't adhere to the title, its cliche and dull, but...it did obey the stipulations and it was seen through to the end. And that's what I was really going for.
Give me some more. I want to try harder and get better at this. clearly I have a long way to go.
Man im really looking forward to these stories Heres my own
This is an exploitation-style story with an emphasis on how people are a lot alike. The story is about an unpopular traitor, a barbarian, and a homely demonologist. It takes place in a fortress in a university town. The critical element of the story is treason. A sudden increase in dangerous monsters is a major plot element.
The story is about a patronizing arch-mage, an unwise dungeon delver, a quiet circuit priest, and an archer. It starts in an outpost in a magical universe. The critical element of the story is an unveiling. The need to kill someone to stop a prophecy from coming true is an important part of the story.
Dana and Riley sat next to each other on the bus to somewhere. Riley met Dana while on holiday, and now they were together. Dana was a transfer student taking courses for the season. Riley was an adventurer. A representative for the city had introduced the two of them, and now Riley was attempting to provide Dana with a fair introduction of home. The bus was nearly empty. A chill bit at them as they sat quietly. Dana's arms crossed. Riley was concerned. "Are you cold?" Riley pantomimed a shiver and crossing arms as best as possible as the bus shifted and rocked from motion and wind. Dana nodded. Riley lifted up on a blanked the 2 of them had been sitting on. Dana lifted off the blanket as best as possible without standing up and Riley covered them with it. It was warm from their bodies and Dana's hands buried into it. Some time passed. The silence make Dana (shit that bothers me. Should be 'made') feel uninteresting. Outside, the scity lights illuminated gaps of night time. A few people stood in front of a building of blue, red, and yellow lights. The bus slowed abruptly and came to a gentle stop afterward. The force made the two of them shift and Dana took the opportunity to break the silence. "Is this the stop?" Riley smiled. Dana got up to leave and Riley said, "Not yet, Its the next one." Riley grabbed Dana's hand and Dana sat back down. The doors opened and a woman got on board. She sat two seats in front of Riley and Dana and they watched as she settled down. The bus began moving again and the ceiling lit up from some device the woman had pulled from her purse. Neither made a sound as the bus rolled past the city and into a residential area. The rain provided an ambiance. A man and a little girl sat across from the pair. She would ask him if they were almost there and he would sa-- assure her they were. "They're a cute pair." Dana grinned and signaled at father and daughter with a tilt of the head. Riley looked over and smiled back at Dana. The bus stopped at a shop; the rain did not. Riley stood and collected the blanket while Dana followed. They waited for the man and the girl to get off first. They followed behind them when the woman stood up. She cut in front of Riley, nearly pushing the two back as she rushed into the aisle. Riley was patient, but Dana was alien to such impertinence. "Becareful lady," Dana exclaimed. The woman turned around inquisitively. She feigned laughter as she said, "Sorry! I did not see you there." "Its no problem." Riley smiled and the woman walked off. The pair were out in the middle of the rain. Dana pulled out an umbrella and held it for the two of them. "thank you." Riley smiled and they coupled their arms together and huddled twoards the middle of the umbrella as they walked. "We'll be there in no time; I'm sorry about the rain." Riley pointed at the sky and panned across. "I don't think it'll stop any time soon," Dana said with a laugh. "Where are we going?" Dana looked at a watch, then pointed forward and then to the ground. Riley smiled. The two walked in the rain until it slowed down. Trickles of water fell from trees above as the sidewalk slipped into a small town on the outskirts of the city. The rain stopped and Dana put up the umbrella. They reach a lively road with people drinking, singing, playing music, and dancing. Riley watched as joy filled Dana's face. The two slow their pace and watch the festivities while heading into the revelry. Riley turns to enter a bar with all its lights on and music and shouting bursting out into the streets. "Here!" Dana turns and follows Riley inside. The noise and commotion is too much, and Dana grabs on to Riley's hand for comfort. "its fine, we're only passing through." Riley's smile wipes the fear from Dana's face. They walk into a back room filled with smoke, and billiards being played. A door leads to outside. Dana crosses the threshold to find a dark alley. the sounds of the festival out front are at a comfortable level. Riley shuts the door and turns to ladder for the roof of the building and pulls it down. "we'll climb this, its fine. I'll go first." Dana understood. Riley begins to make the descent, but feels Dana's hand and stops. Dana grabs onto the wet ladder and leads Riley on the ascent. The two make it to the roof littered in puddles. Two old plastic lawn chairs were waiting for them. Riley lifts one to let the water run off and offers the seat to Dana. Dana sits and places the blanket on the other chair for Riley to sit on. They sit and listen to music. The town was sitting on a hill, and the spot over looked the city. A few minutes later, chanting consumes the cool night air. "THREE...TWO...ONE!" Riley and Dana hold hands and watch fireworks burst in the sky just left of them, and large fireworks from the city explode on the horizon. They kiss as the new year begins,
Ok, I didn't read it. But damn. I'm pretty f**king proud of that one.
EDIT:
Excellent suggestion :) thank you! I was terrified when I started, and yeah, its like a month late...but damn, I think I nailed it. I realized the direction I wanted to go with it when the father and daughter were introduced. I was thinking about having them meet the mother, and then decided with the cold that new years would be a good setting... everything just fell together after that.
You're sat in a forest with a fire in front of you to cook your meal. Using appoximately 1000 words describe your surroundings, the sounds and the atmosphere. (I went with 1000 words as it's a nice round figure, plus your Dana and Riley piece was about 900, so I don't think 1000 is too much for a descriptive piece)