Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Auction House Bug

Started by Ohadik [424017] Wiki Contributor on in Bugs & Issues.

25 replies · 201 views · thread synced · 12 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 26 / 26 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
26
Discussion span
→
Authority score
61 / 100
Historical score
40 / 100
Story score
46 / 100
Engagement score
62 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Ohadik [424017] Wiki Contributor

Both auctions, I checked by refreshing with 1 second left. Somehow both I lost in the last second. Either someone is scripting to bid within 1 second of the end, or there's a way to bid after the auction ends.

I'd appreciate an admin checking this out, it's bullshit to lose out on two items you want because of bug abuse.
  • You have been outbid on the Evil Doll. You can withdraw your returned bid from the bank. 2015/07/269:02:02 PM
  • You have been outbid on the Puzzle piece. You can withdraw your returned bid from the bank. 2015/07/268:57:01 PM
Ohadik [424017] Wiki Contributor

Yeah, after talking to the auction winner, he said he had 2 tabs open, both with about 6 seconds difference between the two... so in other words, 6 seconds of lag.... So much for the Server latency's saying .3 seconds all the time.
-18- [1531198]

I've never heard of anyone using that method, I would have assumed they would have stayed the same?

Would you like me to pass this up to be checked?
Ohadik [424017] Wiki Contributor

I suppose you could ask what good would it do? Can't strip the guy of his items because of lag I guess. But I do find it interesting that he had that much difference between simply 2 tabs.
Chedburn [1] Admin Developer

The whole purpose of the auction house is that you bid the maximum you will pay for the item. That means you'll never lose unless it goes above a price you're not willing to pay. Sniping should be totally avoidable if you use the auction house correctly.
That being said, I'll have a look and see what's happening.
Chedburn [1] Admin Developer

End time of Evil Doll: Sun, 26 Jul 2015 21:01:27 GMT
Winning bid on Evil Doll: Sun, 26 Jul 2015 21:01:27 GMT
Bid was placed on the same second that the auction ended.

End time of Puzzle Piece: Sun, 26 Jul 2015 20:56:42 GMT
Winning bid on Puzzle Piece: Sun, 26 Jul 2015 20:56:31 GMT
Bid was placed 11 seconds before auction ended.


I see no wrongdoing?


Ohadik [424017] Wiki Contributor

Well, I guess what I am asking is, how can I refresh the auction house with a second left on the puzzle piece and see my name there if by your logs, he actually made the bid 11 seconds prior.... There has to be some lag or the timer displays differently based on connection.
Chedburn [1] Admin Developer

I have no response really, all I can say is what I can see in the logs.

If you reload the page, you'd always see the most recent bidder.
Ohadik [424017] Wiki Contributor

This would actually be a good idea. It would be more similar to a real auction. In real life, there isn't a timer behind the auctioneer that counts down. He just keeps asking for a higher bid until he is confident nobody will bid higher. Extending the time would be similar to this.
Chedburn [1] Admin Developer

I'm lost for words. Bid your maximum bid, whenever during the auction, and you'll either win it or it will sell for a price you were not willing to pay. There's no need at all to bid at the last second because the maximum bidder will always win, just be the maximum bidder.
Ohadik [424017] Wiki Contributor

It's obvious that mayor chedburn has never been to a real auction.

There's this thing called Psychology... My wife WindDancer has a Bachelors degree in it. What you think is your max bid, can change in a heartbeat if you really want something and someone outbids you...
Hank [1732212]

My 2Cents, end of the day no real world auction system ends the sale because time runs out, they will always extend the auction until their are no new bids, after all the auction house will receive a larger commission for the sale. For a game like this I would suggest the auction timer should reset to 10 minutes if a bid is made within the last 10 minutes of the auction, or alternatively enable the max bid to be edited at any point.

Hank
Chedburn [1] Admin Developer

I can redesign the entire auction house to be a sniping auction, which forces users to be online during the time the auction ends.

The current system is exactly like ebay, which I prefer, and is fairer to everyone?
JimmyJames [581165]

Ebay is the same way, where everyone bids last second. There's even programs and sites out there specifically for the purpose of making last second bids.

I do get that in theory it should be fair, but like Ohadik said, he may be willing to bid more if he had the chance. If I got outbid by $1 on a multi billion dollar item, I'd be willing to go slightly higher as well.
Mat-Senpai [952164]

As the person who did outbid for these items I do have to agree with the extended times. For me it's odd that this isn't the current system but I understand why ched doesn't do this (because of the maximum bid system currently in place). With that being said I see the extended time being of more value for two people being online and able to bid but being a negative to players who aren't able to log in during the final time of the auction. Perhaps a mixture of both systems?
Mat-Senpai [952164]

the outbid was by a few hundred million.

edit: it should also be noted it's impossible to outbid by $1 or something like that, they have a system in place so you must outbid by an x%

what % i don't know but for me i couldn't outbid on 1.633b with 1.65b