Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

New driver

Started by Mat-Senpai [952164] on in Motoring.

23 replies · 225 views · thread synced · 8 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 24 / 24 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
24
Discussion span
→
Authority score
9 / 100
Historical score
23 / 100
Story score
47 / 100
Engagement score
63 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Mat-Senpai [952164]

Hello car forum!

I know very little about cars, my world of knowledge on the topic comes from top gears however soon i'll be going into a job and because of this i need a car, i wanted to ask for suggestions or recommendations for decent cars/starting cars. Any suggestion is more than welcome and i'd be really appreciative
bloodbaine [1580503]

if you've recently passed your test you will want something small anything from 1.1 - 1.4 as insurance will rek your paycheck, looking at at least £1.2k a year as a new driver.

good luck
Grif [882958]

my mates is sitting around 700/800 for a brand new 1.2 clio, obviously if you are looking for used cars like mat, its going to cost a bit more

typical starter cars are the standard 1.0 cars, aygo, c1, smart car etc
corsa,fiesta,up,twingo,spark.Dacia Sandero

personally i like the fiesta, maybe cause i learned in a 1.6 fiesta zetec :L

but yea 1.2 should be your limit if you want your own insurance + car etc
1.4 will double that insurance
gta_guy [1457440]

getting full insurance on a cheap old car is plain money wasting. I will never understand this western trend of getting complete auto insurance on some crappy vauxhall corsa 2002 slash any other crap car.

get comprehensive insurance/personal injury protection and save a ton of money.
daub [1869454]

Niko, some people have nothing worth insuring except their car. Without which they can't do their underpaid job. I know, I know, lazy shits have the onus on them to work harder.
And you sometimes get a better deal going fully comp than anything less, don't ask me why. Another odd one is that many quotes are cheaper for a (very) slightly more expensive old piece of shit 1.6 than a 1.1 - 1.4.
gta_guy [1457440]

oh well. my insurance (comprehensive/personal injury) is like 40 euros a year. 1.6l kia pro ceed, 2010.

don't know why UK got such expensive insurance, not like the cars are made out of platinum
Lasky [1718783]

I was paying over £300 a month for insurance when I first started driving, and that was for a rubbish, old 1.2 clio. Then it dropped to about £75 a month. Now I'm paying something like £65 for a 1.4 >.>

I hate car insurance.
672 [1327102]

Im canada im paying like 70$ a month which is not that bad. Dont put two way insurance on your first car, its not a good idea.

Id suggest getting a little shitbox for the time being and just change a couple parts on it. A great car for that is the Mazda 3 speed. Very reliable car and fun As ____ to drive.
MegaChintz [1770536]

I guess fully comp suggests you care to invest the most cover for your car and therefore wil be a more responsible, driver whereas 3rd party only on a old banger suggest you might drive like a loon with little to lose & all expenses covered if you mess up and bump into someone else's brand new Bentley...

Just a tongue in cheek guess though

I loved my first car- a rusty old escort that cost me £50, the insurance was ridiculous but maybe the above theory applied!
daub [1869454]

Yeah MC I think there's a bit of psychology about the value of the car and treating it (and its occupants!) with a bit of care. I can attest to driving ferraris more carefully than my banger (I drive ferraris very carefully in my imagination).
AwakeNoWokeFail [79965]

My starter car was a 1969 Cadillac Sedan De Ville It had a 472 ci motor. When I got on the freeway and doing 120 mph I could see the gas gauge hurry it's way to empty.

That was a fun car.
Pegleg [13376]

get good "beater" car. get state requirement "minimum". full coverage is a waste of $ for this type of car and young/new drivers. get month to month if possible. might be able to save a little $. go to kbb.com and check and print out the different grades of the car/s you have decided to possibly buy. that way you have a better idea what your getting in to. state minimum coverage is good for all involved in an accident except cars over 30K. try and get honda durability wise. whatever you get, get a 4 door vehicle it is the less expensive insurance. 2 door vehicles go way up in same category insurance wise.

i know it sounds kind of alot but it is not. plus you will enjoy whatever you buy if you take the time to do atleast this much research.
connor6 [1972171]

I had a 1.7cdti 61plate Diesel Astra for my first car, insurance was only £1750 for the year at 18 years old (last year), no previous experience and no extra qualifications, i had quotes on 1.1/1.4 but they were around the £2500 mark.

I spent hours on comparison websites, and found the following;

Black box makes a difference
Job makes a difference
area makes a difference



The biggest differences are;

Age of the car, The newer it is the cheaper the insurance. (Dont ask me why)

Also cars ranging from £5000/£10,000 were the cheapest to insure.

My advice is pay more money for a newer car that will be more reliable and last longer and hold value more, therefore bringing down the insurance, rather than spending £2000 or so on a car and then £3000 or something on the insurance for a year.
672 [1327102]

TBH for a first car I would look for a Toyota Corolla 1998 SE. Have not been an owner of one(sadly) But I heard great things about the car, fuel efficiency and when it comes to repairs. Car should cost about 900 depending where your from. Fix what needs to be fixed and it should purr like a cat.

I got a Chevy cav and its not bad.. but when it comes to heating up in the AM, its a pain in the ass. Also when your stuck in the snow, FML.