I have a Windows 7 computer, and I use a Linux server. Linux is case sensitive for file extensions, whereas Windows isn't. I use a lot of different software packages, and some of them save files with lower case extensions, while others save them with upper case extensions.
Is there any easy way of changing the file extension of a file on Windows from lower case to upper case or vice versa? Currently I only know how to change the letters of a file extension, not the case on it's own.
Not sure I understand the question....just rename the extension?
Edit: I see now, looks like windows defaults to lower case when using the GUI...but if you do it from the command line it stays how you rename it, upper case or lower.
[image: i.imgur.com]
The problem is, if I try to rename it, but keep the letters the same and just change the case, Windows doesn't recognise that is has changed, and therefore doesn't apply the change.
Perhaps this would be different in command line? How do I rename a file extension in command line?
If you are comfortable with powershell, this might be useful in editing multiple files
http://antonperez.com/2011/06/15/powershell-rename-files-to-lowercase/ I'd make a backup copy first, I've not tried this method, so I don't know if you will encounter the same issue you describe.
Or try the software described here
http://geekgirls.com/2010/08/renaming-file-extensions/ it also mentions windows pigheadedness when it comes to changing case of the same extension type!
It's pretty easy, even if you've never really used the command line or dos before.
Without knowing the specifics of how many files, what different extensions, or where they are, try this:
To make it easy. Use what you are familier with and create a folder using windows in your root directory...usually c:
Copy the files you want to change into the directory
Now, click the Windows start circle on your screen and at the bottom type 'cmd' and hit enter
Type the commands below:
cd backslash (Don't actually type 'backslash, use the backslash...for some weird and strange reason, I't won't let my type it on - Takes you to the root directory)
dir *. (Shows a list of directories)
cd nameofthedirectoryyoucreated (takes you to the directory you created)
dir /p (shows you all the files in the directory)
If you've a shit load of all the same extension type to change to all the same extension type:
ren *.txt *.TXT (or whatever your extension is/are - this will change everything with that extenstion, the first *.txt is the original the *.TXT is what they will change to)
If you've a few different ones, you can do:
ren myfilename.txt myfilename.TXT (again, the first being the file you want to change, the second what you want it to be)
...Now type
cls (Clears the screen to make it all nice and tidy)
dir /p (lists your files in the directory again)
When you're all happy, type
exit