Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Different Maps = Different Exp Gain? *Updated!

Started by Ver [1684164] on in Racing.

16 replies · 194 views · thread synced · 9 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 17 / 17 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
17
Discussion span
→
People posting
7
Likes on archived posts
17
Authority score
51 / 100
Historical score
23 / 100
Story score
43 / 100
Engagement score
58 / 100
Ver [1684164]

Alright, so I've noticed recently that if I join a race with Mudpit, I get more exp out of it than say... Speedway? I've noticed it once, and haven't got the second chance again. But is it supposed to be like that? If there's a guide to something like this, could someone share the link?

I'm sorry if this is common knowledge. I'm new to racing.




UPDATE!

Massive kudos to Titan [227437] for personally testing out the track lists!



*Exp gains are inconsistent based on lap distance. More likely directly affected by terrain/sharpness of turns etc. Each of the maps below were tested in a 100 Laps Custom Race.


Uptown : 0.02
Withdrawal: 0.03
Underdog: 0.01
Parkland: 0.04
Docks: 0.01
Commerce: 0.01
Two island: 0.01
Industrial: 0.01
Vector: 0.01
Mudpit: 0.02
Hammerhead: 0.02
Sewage: 0.01
Meltdown: 0.02
Speedway: 0.02
Stonepark: 0.04
Convict: 0.04

If there is anyone else who is also noting the exp gains, please mail them to me personally and I will add them here!

Update: Yes! Different maps give different amounts of exp! As far as I can tell, Mudpit provides more!
Update 2: I'll start noting how much exp each map provides! I would appreciate if any of you could provide information too! As testing the maps 1 by 1 (at random) takes forever!
Update 3: Credits to Titan [227437] for a complete list of exp gains! Thaks, bud!

Titan [227473]

I'm pretty sure it has to do with the length of the course.... I don't think there's a guide for it... Would be good to test out.
Wuggington [1365546]

What kind of testing method was used to learn this, and at what driver skill were the testers? I find it a little hard to believe that Docks gives so little exp vs any of the other tracks. Considering that the higher your skill, the slower the gain, I can't see these as static numbers.
Chuckyboy2 [1875579]

A test of new driver in class e testing each track 2x in inverse order would yield better results. Not trying diminish Titans help but his racing skill is just too high at this point.
Titan [227473]

i'm only currently at 5.99 racing skill. All were 100 lap races 1v1. I am curious if others are getting the same or different results.
Chuckyboy2 [1875579]

My point in class e you can track a lot better. Because u gain xp much quicker.


I can't test at my level because all I get is .01 or .00. 9.35 is my total for reference.
Mud [1740734]

Also driver skill is likely more precise than two decimals and gets rounded for display. So a skill gain of .0060 vs. .0099 will both look like a gain of 0.01. So you need to do a lot of repetition to get the real value (after applying a logarithmic curve to the gains cos they slow down as the skill increases). Would be better to sign up various noobs to do each track like 100 times.
Baldr [1847600] Reporter

When we race, there is a fairly large random factor in our speeds. Assuming two people have the same car, outfitted the same way, and they race over and over on the same track, the same person won't usually win every race. Someone with higher skill will usually win more races than the other guy, but that random factor means the lower skilled racer will probably win some races.

It's very possible that the code which decides "How much should their skill go up for this race" also has a similar random feature.

In addition, as Mud said above, you don't see your actual, it's rounded, or truncated, or something. So when you see it go from 2.99 to 3.01, maybe it went from 2.9999999 to 3.0101. The next race, you might go from 3.0101 to 3.029898.

Using those (entirely made up) numbers, you gained 0.019798 from the second race, and 0.0101001 from the first race. A much bigger gain from the 2nd race.

But the part you see (the truncated number) looks like the first race moved you up .02, and the second looks like it moved you up .01.

Once you are at 10.0 or above, the truncation or rounding or whatever starts showing only 1 place past the decimal instead of 2. My skill shows 13.0 right now for instance. Skill also goes up slower as it gets higher, so I'll do quite a few races (including some 100 lap races) before I see it go to 13.1.

For a decent test, you would need a fairly large number of brand new racers. Everyone would start with no previous racing, so skill level should all be exactly the same. Some would do a bunch of 100 lap races on Docks, others on other tracks. If you need 5 people to test each track, and there are 16 tracks, that's a lot of brand new racers. And you would want them to do no racing other than the test races, do no upgrades to their cars, no working in a job that gives racing points or skill upgrades, etc.

Seems unlikely you can get that many brand new racers to do any kind of decent test. And if you do, I suspect it's not going to give you the results you think you are going to get.