Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Busting vs. Reviving: Expected Pay?

Started by Kakabu [1932221] on in Questions & Answers.

13 replies · 187 views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 14 / 14 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
14
Discussion span
→
People posting
12
Likes on archived posts
16
Authority score
59 / 100
Historical score
19 / 100
Story score
34 / 100
Engagement score
58 / 100
Kakabu [1932221]

I've noted in the forums it's considered a...I guess common courtesy? to pay when revived. However, I don't see information about expected payments for busting or the differences between a Torn revive, an active faction war revive, and an overseas revive. So my questions are:
  • I've seen revive rates for within Torn being 1-1.5 million...is this accurate?
  • How does the price on a revive change when it's an overseas revive or a faction war revive, if at all? (you'd think they would be more valuable)
  • Does this courtesy extend to busting?
  • What would you say is the going rate for a bust? Is it level/jail time dependent?
  • I've read that busts have a fairly high failure rate (and I'm taking into account busting someone at a significantly lower level)...so it's relatively high risk to bust without reward...or is the common thought that the merits in busting are your reward and you don't deserve anything else? (and yes I know there's awards for reviving too) :P
  • To revivers/busters: do you ever attempt to collect on a bust/revive? What's been your most successful method to get payment?
I'm asking mostly because I'm curious, but I also noticed that some revivers in the forums don't have a good money recoup. and that's making me further put off getting the ability to revive. I also am not sure how I feel about busting as a whole yet.

-18- [1531198]

Yeah, it's generally just common courtesy to pay when you're busted or revived, in any case at least a thank you will suffice if you busted/revived without the player asking.

1. Personally I'd say revives are 1m and faction warring revives are 1.5m.
2. 1.5m, I think the same for warring abroad is the same, generally I give more if they have to travel.
3. In my opinion it should but no so much
4. I generally give 100k - 300k, depends what I have on hand to be honest.
5. Generally yeah, players bust for the merits, to improve there CE/nerve and to be able to do higher OC's
6. I've never mailed a player who I've busted or revived asking for a payment, if I don't get one then fair does.
My best payment for a revive is probably 2m for a bust probably 500k.

If a player is asking for a bust or revive then expect a payment, always check there friend to enemy ratio though to see if they're a scammer, it's usually a good indicator if you'll be getting paid or not.

If you're just randomly busting or reviving then don't expect anything unless they ask for it, sometimes you may even be bountied as the person would prefer to stay in hospital or jail.

Realistically it depends on the person and if they want to pay you, it's definitely common courtesy to pay up though, the majority of time I have randomly revived or bust I have received payment.
KPCSlor [1557404]

If I'm paying for a revive it's usually $1mil. Overseas people may be willing to pay more. Just negotiate a price in chat or email beforehand

If I get a random revive I usually assume that's just someone going for the honor bar and don't pay. For example today I OD and immediatley started buring through SFAK's for the meds used medals, but someone revived me before I was done. I appreciate that they revived me, but it was before I wanted to to so I didn't pay for it.

Almost no one pays for busts. I bust all the time and will occasionally get a random payout, but never count on it. Busting is just a 5 nerve crime with lots of honors and medals to earn.

If you do random busts and hope for payouts stick to online people at higher levels.
AshleyT [1432316]

While I don't know the answers to all of your questions, I will answer the best I can.

Reviving is a highly useful skill to have, but it relies on your customers being trustworthy. The average price is one million for a revive but some pay less or more. There are times where a faction requests a "Revive" job that uses IRC for communication usually, that often pay higher. The price is often agreed beforehand.

Busting has even less chance of getting paid for it, I myself try to pay busters but a lot of people don't even send a thank you. The difficulty also received a huge spike in an attempt to re balance the jail, as it was almost always empty, but in the process it ruined the Organised Crime system.

However, since Reviving is a Permanent skill, even if you leave the medical job, just simply having it opens a lot of doors for you.
Kakabu [1932221]

So now I'm curious how much/little the Lawyer's cards influence player's paying for busts... and I'm more curious now how busting and reviving have very different expected responses: one there's an expectation to pay and the other there isn't....I get that busting is "less expensive" of a task than using E, but I'd still argue that the risk of getting caught for busting has it's own problems. Thoughts?
Yaz [1575994]

The problem with Lawyer Business Cards as I see it is that 1- You need to have it beforehand (Which most people forget to do) and 2- Is that it adds a Booster Cool Down time. (Unlike Medical cool down, booster cool down has much better use) and finally 3- Is that busting uses Nerve and that being cheap-ish commodity and there are merits for busting/bailing.

But what really influences them paying for busts and also the price of LBC I think is actually Bailing. Someone who has finished law education can self-bail and in general no one will pay higher or even equal to what it would cost to bail them.


The risk of getting caught is neglected from the equation, since those who are busting others right now already don't really care much about that CE loss, or just accepted it for the merits.
Chuckyboy2 [1875579]

If your caught busting than your not busting the right person. There are some very good busting guides out there but basic thing to know is no back to back busts and no more than 3 per day (that's even pushing it). In regards to paying for a bust high levels doing hard crimes might pay but reality is anyone should be able to get a bust that needs it if there lvl 65 or below.


For revives I'm of the philosophy of you didn't ask you don't need to pay. They are doing it for the same reasons busters are merits.
ReyDuvall [1526820]

I pay for my OD revives, and any war revives I ask for. Most revivers are doing it more for the cash than merits, and it's a mighty bit of convenience for me.

I'm a buster. 17 thousand busts.
I'm not looking for 17 thousand bits of spam.

I don't want a mail. I don't want a beer. I don't want your spare change.
I want you to go back to jail.
Please?
Franky [1529693]

Back in time, before self busting was changed you used to gain 0.5% dexterity per self bust. The people that were self busting would ask you not to bust them or would bounty you if you did bust them :P

Then when the gains to dex were removed from self busting, people started paying to get busted out of jail as they would literally be there for hours. Until it was discovered that busting could actually improve your crime experience. That's more or less the time people stopped paying for busts. People still occasionally pay for busts but it's maybe 1/20 people busted that do.

Busters are normally doing it for the merits these days as the crime experience gain was also removed, so I don't think anyone expects to get paid unless someone actually advertises that they're paying to get busted.

The most I received from my 1249 revives I've done was 20mil. I didn't ask for payment either. Just received 20mil.
The best item I received from busting someone was a DP.
Baldr [1847600] Reporter

I keep revives turned off unless I want to be revived (generally after a xanax OD.) If I've OD'd and turn revives on, I pay for the revive, usually 1M. I don't do revives without them promising to pay, and rarely do them at all with the exception of major wars where they are paying well.

I don't pay for busts, and I don't expect anyone to pay me for busts. Busts don't use energy, and nerve isn't nearly as important as energy.




Glimph [1950707]

I'm low level and rarely end up in hospital, when I do, I don't get revived and that's fine. I occasionally get jailed, and when I do I always get busted very quickly.
My conclusion from this very simple observation is that if you revive people it's for the person you revive (it's a favour and you want something in return), but if you bust someone, it's for yourself (and you don't expect anything in return).

It's a general rule: if you do something without being asked to, don't expect anything in return.
Chuckyboy2 [1875579]

Your perception is a bit off. There a certain types revives each has its own set of rules. Only in two situations is the person actually doing it for money. In some of the other other cases money might be a nice by product but not the primary reason. At the end of the day merits drive everything with revives or else the "price" would be 5x higher.


Types revives


Xanax od- if you have revives turned on its very rare to not be revived with in 5 mins just as quicker than many busts


Car crash/mauled by dog/ burned- I have received revives in each of these situations with out asking. Similair Xanax of with less hospital time but anyone can use meds as well.


Hospitalized from attack- when this is done no payment should ever be given. Many times people are intentionally waiting in Hospital. Many times bounties are received as payment


Paid for personal/faction mate- an agreement is worked out ahead of time


Paid revive of specific player or faction- agreement is made but reasons are usually nefarious in nature so enemies or bounties maybe received as well.
_chem_ [1563587]

If someone revives me after a xanax OD I send them a xanax. I don't pay for busts unless I asked for one in trade/faction chat and it's usually only 500k.

I don't do revives myself, but I do bust people occasionally and don't expect money. When I'm looking for busts I go for online people first figuring they'd appreciate it, a lot of times I get cigars and a thank you note or something which is fine by me.
Cable [507439]

In general, probably around 1 million for revives.

Busting is usually done for their own CE anyway, so its really debatable whether payment is required.