Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

mechanical engineering

Started by Shafz [1722984] on in Motoring.

14 replies · 109 views · thread synced · 8 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 15 / 15 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
15
Discussion span
→
People posting
12
Likes on archived posts
2
Authority score
8 / 100
Historical score
20 / 100
Story score
35 / 100
Engagement score
52 / 100
_T_ [1009930]

If you don't understand basic mechanics or have a knack for it. I would not suggest it. But if you do by all means. not everything is suited for everybody
gta_guy [1457440]

It takes a lot of dedication & time to master an engineering degree. You will also need good mathematical knowledge
oldskoolsuzuki [70196]

Hmm not sure I agree with that, we had an engineering graduate on a training program on my rig, they were sent to assist me wjilst I was busy removing a valve inside a tank and needed a different spanner so asked them to fetch me an inch and three sixteenths spanner... the idiot came back with a 1" 9/16 spanner then proceeded to tell me that it was a 19/16ths spanner which as there are 16/16 in an inch 16+3=19 so a 19/16ths spanner is what i need, f**king idiot had an honor degree in mechanical engineering and couldn't read a spanner and thought that 19/16ths was an acceptable measurement, f**ker nearly had an 1" 9/16 spanner shoved up their arsehole!!!

It would appear that you do not need any understanding of of basic mechanics at Robert Gordon University Aberdeen!!!
jeffstag [1776866]

I'm a Mechanical Engineer. Understanding of mechanics helps but is not needed. You do need to be able to see things in your head in 3 dimensions (not everyone can do this) and you need to be in for a LOT of math. More math than you thought possible. Most ME's don't actually use even a tenth of the math they learn in college once they get a job. It also helps to have sort of an inquisitive personality (for all disciplines of engineering). Being smart also helps. As a friend of mine always says "It's easy when you're smart".
jeffstag [1776866]

All kids, even the ones with engineering degrees, are blank slates and need to be taught every little thing. I work with those kinds of kids all the time. They have degrees but more than half the time I have to explain how I magically always know which way to put the pipe wrench on the pipe.
Haymaker96 [1989522]

Its a very interesting and fun career if that's your thing I'm currently studying mechanics on my 4th year now loving it, the best thing I did though was purchases some books of ebay to help me and they have helped a lot
BloodyKangaroo [1958574]

It can lead you to very interesting career opportunities. I have been a Mech Eng for 15yrs now and worked all around the world in varying roles from designing armored vehicles to constructing Long wall mines to erecting tower cranes. If you like hard work and a feeling of having accomplished something worthwhile this is a great path to take. And the money's pretty good too.
AwakeNoWokeFail [79965]

I've been a machinist for 30 years, never went to college. I've met in house engineers that have a degree, but very little actual knowledge of wtf is happening.

If they make more money than me, they've got nothing coming from me. They better know what they're doing.

If it's an intern making minimum wage or so, I'll tell them everything I know.