Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Problem with Chrome

Started by Psychotica [1862952] on in Bugs & Issues.

17 replies · 195 views · thread synced · 6 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 18 / 18 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
18
Discussion span
→
People posting
7
Likes on archived posts
0
Posts by staff, officers and moderators
2
Authority score
59 / 100
Historical score
38 / 100
Story score
38 / 100
Engagement score
53 / 100
Psychotica [1862952]

We've been at war for a few days and I havent been able to load the warbase on Chrome the whole time. It just freezes up and, eventually, gives me this...http://prntscr.com/80xfsv.

I've tried everything I can think of to no avail...deleted cookies, history, etc. I then removed Chrome entirely and reinstalled. Nothing has worked.

(Windows 8, btw)
McNeo [864688]

Do you use any plugins or extensions?
Can you try a different browser? (Internet Exploder, Firefox, etc)

For testing, try running Chrome in safe mode. This will disable all extensions and use some default settings in Chrome. None of this is saved permanently, once you close Chrome and re-open it all will be back to normal.

To start Chrome in safe mode, first close Chrome if it is already open.
Press Windows Key + R to open your run dialog.
Type "chrome --disable-extensions" (without the quotes) and hit enter.

Try doing whatever you were doing before that caused the error. If it still happens, we know it's something with Chrome itself. If it doesn't, we know it's something with one of your extensions.
Psychotica [1862952]

Oh right, sorry (several days of struggling with this issue during a pretty intense war has me exhausted). But yes, I use the Warbase Extended script and thought that might be the problem. However, disabling it didnt help. I even disabled greasemonkey entirely but still had the same issue (getting the 'Page Unresponsive' thingy). I had similar issues on the Items page if it was set to pull up all items. But didnt notice any problems on other games/websites.

I switched to Firefox at some point and had no issues. Everything seems fine there. I havent tried it in safe mode. I suppose I could do that in the morning. First, I'm gonna get some much needed sleep though. :)
Psychotica [1862952]

That seems rather complicated for a computer n00b like me. And maybe outdated? Idk, when I went to the article to see how to delete my Chrome profile, the steps didnt match up to what I see in Control Panel. Maybe its for Windows 7.
I've just gone back to Firefox for now.
-18- [1531198]

Is this the same issue in the report below?

http://www.torn.com/forums.php?p=threads&f=19&t=15940852&b=0&a=0

I too faced this when warring.

Seems the fixes in the thread don't work. My page loads too fast to be able to cancel it to get the HTML version of names so the warbase still loads blank. I have to log out, clear my cache, close my browser and wait a few minutes to relog... by the time I've done that I'm back in hosp.

Is this the same issue you're facing? If so I'll confirm the report.

Mentions: honor bars not loading in warbase

Psychotica [1862952]

Mm, not exactly. The problem I was having is that the warbase wouldnt load at all. I'd just get this....http://prntscr.com/80xfsv. However, if I kept hitting 'Wait' then after quite a long time, it would eventually load the way it was for you..w/o any honor bars/names. Of course, by then, the page would be outdated and useless to me anyways. I was essentially unable to war most of the 1st day as I was trying to figure out and fix the problem but to no avail. Nothing I tried worked. It was super frustrating. Finally, I just started using Firefox for all things Torn related til the war was over, hoping I could file a bug report and get the issue resolved fairly quickly.

In fact, Firefox was the browser I used when I first started playing Torn. But after a Firefox update, I suddenly was unable to load things like the forums and the stock market. I filed a bug report then too and it was eventually confirmed and fixed. But, by then, I had moved over to Chrome and found that I quite like it. Was hoping this issue could be resolved as well. I'm not the most computer savvy person in the world. So, once I get things set up the way I like on a browser I am happy with, I like to stay put. :)
Psychotica [1862952]

Yes, its still happening. Its not quite as bad atm but thats only bcuz the war is now over so our warbase is somewhat cleared out, only some fillers left. But the lag is still bad enough that it would be useless to me in war even as it is now. And I'm quite sure if we were actually in war, with a full warbase, it would essentially not load at all.

At the moment, when I click 'My Faction', its stuck on this http://prntscr.com/82blsh for a long time and then I get this http://prntscr.com/82bm4o. It will now fully load (eventually) if I click 'Wait' just one time. By then of course, many of the targets in my range would have already been hit if I hadnt been hosp'd myself. During actual war (when the warbase is full), I would have to click 'Wait' several times before it would load. So, as it stands, I cant use Chrome at all during war.
Chedburn [1] Admin Developer

Hmm, a developer might need to check it. I will pass this to Michael / Alexander first to see what they can make of it. Then we might need to pass it to Sergey or Viktor for some back-end checks.

I guess it's just trying to load too much stuff at once.

A screenshot of the full successfully working page would be useful too please.

Do other people in your faction also have the same issue?
Psychotica [1862952]

Well our warbase is completely empty now so I cant get another screenie. And at least one other person in my faction was having the same issue during the war...

[11:24] <udontwanna> i had mega problems with it during the war
[11:24] <udontwanna> i was using the warbase script
[11:24] <udontwanna> thought perhaps that did it
[11:24] <udontwanna> shut it off... same thing
[11:24] <udontwanna> it was something with chrome
[11:24] <udontwanna> i could switch to explorer
[11:25] <udontwanna> but then i wouldn't have the warbase script
Psychotica [1862952]

Yes, we just finished a war campaign and I didnt really have any issues at all this time around. Seems to have been fixed. Thanks so much!