I guess I see chatboxes as being completely different - like I use Global often and Trade occasionally but for the most part never Company/Faction Chat. I like that in IRC you can personalise the shite outta things and use bots, you also have longer histories and the pace isn't as fast so you don't miss things. You can also have customised channels and groups - it can be simple or you can integrate it to do the specific things you need.
I dunno, maybe its not for everyone but when I did leave for a long time at one point I only ended up staying in part because of the IRC community stuff, which has not been duplicated by Chatboxes. I also really enjoyed giving stuff away through IRC which if you go there for that purpose now feels a little sad, and if you run it in Global its a little annoying.
Irc for me has worked great from day one i met many people on there and its a much easier system to use and to track discussions. Its very helpful for new players to come and chat to others without having random shit thrown at them as in global. Chat boxes are still random at times and do not always work properly.
As for global i stay away and almost everyone i know stays away.
thing is theres not a lot of people who actually use global chat and the reason why irc is dying is because people cant be asked to go to irc just to talk with other people when they can make a chat for themselves or use global if they are more than 2 people. I never use irc except on halloween and i doubt there are many regulars in irc who arent there just for the lottos
I think that people need to realise that those of us who advocate for further support for IRC aren't trying to take away anything from torn's internal chat - it absolutely has its use and is used and enjoyed by many. But, at the same time, the same can be said for IRC. I don't look at them as competitors, they've both got a different target audience and are capable of achieving different things. I simply want a little more publicity to torn's irc server on the site so that people have the opportunity to decide whether or not they want to use it, as opposed to potentially being unaware of its existence.
Deceptive, I don't actually join any giveaway channels and I'm on IRC daily - I know of many others who do the same. Yes, there are people who join for the giveaway channels - but I don't see any issue with that either, its a great opportunity for new players to meet people and win some items to help their start in the game. I appreciate some people may see it as dated and complicated, but it is the official server for Torn and there's a whole subforum dedicated to it - it only makes sense to have a link somewhere for it whilst it is still here.
@Karty I dont think you really read my post properly I said I said I doubt there are MANY regulars who are in IRC for who arent there for lottos, my point being if there is already chat available for them why would people go to irc for chat and I dont have an issue with people who join IRC nor am I trying to degrade it what Im saying is a lot of people view IRC as pointless because there is already chat available in torn so whats the point of going to IRC for chat?
I think you've not read my post properly :p My point was that I do and "I know of many others who do the same". I also said that they both have their own uses and have different a different target audience. Others have previously stated in this thread what they think IRC is better at doing, largely stating that it's way more flexible than Torn chat. However, Torn's chat and IRC are two very different things, you could very well say "well why do we need chat when we have the forums?!" But they're different methods of communication aimed at different people. The same applies to IRC. I completely understand that some people may not see the point in it, but IRC is a much better chat system and that is the reason why such a dated technology is still fairly widely in use today (Look at Freenode etc.).
My point wasn't really what you are arguing here. I am trying to make it clear there is a difference between IRC and Global and therefore it should be beneficial to have a link to IRC somewhere on the site in a reasonable location (probably not clear as I replied to a post not quoting my first post). People in this thread are saying IRC is not used and to just kill it off, but thats not the case at all, my response was essentially if you want to kill it off at least make sure Global has the same functionality as IRC.
If you or others dont want that functionality in the torn chat system then simply don't bother killing IRC off. Its not as though its run by staff in any case.
You havent read my post properly xD and while I agree with your point what Im saying is a large portion of torn users still think that IRC is not very useful I just went to IRC and there were around 400-500 people there including faction chats and that is a fraction of the daily tc users (17,000 check tc home page before logging in) so my point is people (SOME NOT ALL) are not bothering with IRC and I think its because they either they dont find it useful or they just cant be asked
Do you struggle to read o.o? I responded to your points. I agree that to a large number of torn users, it might not be useful and they may deem it pointless - but the fact is that some people DO find it useful. I don't find racing in Torn useful, should that go too? No. People play this game for different reasons and enjoy different aspects, and if a few hundred people find IRC useful then others might too if a link was actually provided to them through Torn to access IRC. I by no means think everyone is going to find it useful, but that doesn't make it any less worthy of being linked to.
NUMBA 1: IRC is useful for people who want a more advanced platform to chat, frollic, gossp and use bots. Not everyone wants or needs anything more than the ingame chat, and that's fine, but for those who do there's IRC.
NUMBA 2: Ingame chat will never be able to replace IRC for activities such as chaining and giveaways, or anything more than armless banter with the boiz
NUMBA 3: A link would take flipping 3 seconds to implement, aint rocket isit. Some people i'm sure have never visited the Wiki site but there's still a link.
NUMBA 4: IRC server s pretty shit, it seems like the hosting has gone to dog dinner the last year or so, maybe just me
@4 I think its specifically within the last 3 months or so... They got some person who cant even keep his computers keyboard on UK English to run the server.
Are you illiterate :0? I said a lot of players dont find it useful which is why 400-500/17000 of daily torn users actually use it but I frequently BUT I DID NOT SAY ALL and yes people play the game for different aspects. I dont find racing very useful but I race sometimes for the merits and if you read my first post I said there is a whole thread section for IRC there will definitely be a link in there that leads to IRC anyway so I dont know what your point is
You have got to be trolling? Your posts are just on a massive downward spiral - please continue thinking that IRC is shit and stay off of it for the rest of us.
lol I do not understand why you are even here in the first place. There is a whole THREAD SECTION IN THE FORUM for IRC but your still whining for an IRC link? Staff have better things to do than make some link that 2% of tc users will actually use and you cant talk about my posts being on a massive downwards spiral when you cant even reply to my post without acting like a chid
So tell us, how many people actively use the forums out of that '17,000' daily TORN users?
If we used your logic racing would be gone, craps would be gone, oh also kiss goodbye to most of the weapons seeing that the majority use Armalite, duals, diamond blade thing, kodachi or macana.
Why don't we just totally scrap TORN all together, after all only 0.00002328767% of the world population use it :/
It'll probably take longer for them to include a link in their anouncement posts everytime there is a giveaway. A link would take 2 seconds and would end up saving staff time
Yup. It would be nice if IRC linked in sidebar.. I would delete my link, bookmark and my shortcut if they do that.
Torn light IRC only laggy while there are big giveaway at hamster For most day... nope... working just fine for me.
I meet quite few of friend in there. Even at first I only go there for a prize/ lotto and giveaway. Actually that half of the reason why I go to IRC.....Shameful.. Hahaaha sure