Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Fallout thread.

Started by LuigiMangione [1870934] on in Gaming.

135 replies · 912 views · thread synced · 8 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 136 / 136 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

MadHatter [486416]

I almost took a work contract in Boston, but turned it down because of the cold/snow (I'm staying in the South for the winter). It would have been interesting to experience present/"future" Boston at the same time.

But now I have a couple weeks off to dedicate to Fallout. Ya know, priorities
Miller [238240]

heheh I was in New Hampshire for two years then escaped after shoveling snow for a few hours one time...
Would be cool if they have snow in Fallout 4 though. I'm fine with snow in games :)
MadHatter [486416]

For a Bethesda game, on release day, it plays surprisingly well. There are rumors of several big bugs floating around, but compared to Fallout 3/Oblivion/Skyrim, it runs flawlessly. Just follow the same rules as the rest: save every 10 seconds and don't move too fast through doors or elevators (hint). lol
Beerstein [1322136]

Reminds me of a zombie game I was playing with someone, she got stuck in an elevator because of a glitch, then when she tried to shoot herself she realized she was out of bullets, just made it that much more hillarious when it just went "click" "click click click"...fuuuuuu...Good times.



Rule for zombie games and Bethesda game...Always keep 1 round in the chamber :P
MadHatter [486416]

Nothing quite like getting stuck after making 30 minutes of progress and having to blow yourself to shit with a frag grenade. Thanks for redefining rage for me, Bethesda
The_SJ [1729208]

Only 10 mins into fallout 4 Codsworth goes thought a wall went I was talking to him. 30 mins later Dogmeat learns to block doors from raiders(Mostly from me) and breaking stealth when his ai walks him in view. 2 hours I was fixing up my old house I see Preston legs spinning all over the place, I when back to building just as I put a lamp down game started to lag and my lamp sinks into the floor(even some other stuff sink into the ground).
8 hours on I was helping the brotherhood with Preston and not to give too much about the quest it the first one. You get into a lift near the end but Preston very slowly walks over to the lift after getting over here he didn't get in and turns around to run off the other way, falls off the stairwell and teleports to nowhere. I left him just to find him like this outside...

[image: s3.amazonaws.com]

He still there as well I hope I don't need to restart.
MadHatter [486416]

So I'm in Sanctuary, pimpin' the main crib, and these moochers are all up my ass about beds right? So I clear out the back room and start laying down beds, and as I'm trying to place one just right, one of the guys walks up and lays down on it. On the bed I haven't placed yet. So, naturally, I'm like, nope. Cancel out, and now the dude's napping in mid-air.

Good ol' Bethesda

Edit: I've got a ton of good screenshots. As soon as I figure out how to pull them off my PS4 (think I should be able to use my external harddrive), I'm going to upload some of them
ForwardSlash [1964683]

Fallout 4 is amazing. Def worth buying. Yea it has a few bug like they always do but nothing that's major. I have it for Xbox One, it froze up for me like 2 times which was annoying but I'm used to playing Skyrim so I do quick saves a lot. No big deal. I have over 1day game time already and I'm only around 20% through the game... I did explore for a while though and messed around with the new settlement building stuff too. So far the quests and fighting are really fun it's almost like playing zombies in COD half the time lol. :)
MadHatter [486416]

The combat feels fantastic. They've definitely cleaned up the FPS (non-V.A.T.S.) combat, making it feel like a competent shooter. Which is good, because they f**ked up V.A.T.S. in my opinion. Having it only slow time, rather than completely freeze it, eliminates the ability to really use it strategically as an alternative, rather than additional, combat style. In FO3 and NV, I made V.A.T.S. builds, using it almost exclusively. I always felt like (and still do) it's much more fitting for Fallout.

I'm really enjoying FO4, don't get me wrong, but they screwed up a lot of stuff, and it's a massive disappointment in a lot of ways. First off, I'm not sure who thought removing skills/traits was a good idea, but they need to be dragged into the street and shot. "Streamlining" is what they call it when they dumb-down the RPG elements of a game so that they can market it to a broader demographic.
It happened to Mass Effect, with the first game having heavy KotOR-esque RPG elements (being from the same company and all), and then having those elements stripped away as the series progressed (until it essentially became just a third-person shooter).
We got to watch a similar (though much more substantial) degradation within the Elder Scrolls series. I remember being a little frustrated when Oblivion was released because they simplified the heavy RPG mechanics in Morrowind, but I understood why. Oblivion was still a very intensive RPG, and an absolutely wonderful game, it was just "cleaned up" to open it up to a wider crowd of gamers. But the jump from Oblivion to Skyrim almost killed the series for me. I still played the hell out of Skyrim, but I hit a point where I could never play it again. It just lacks the depth that I need from that kind of game.
And now Fallout.

But oh well, FO4 is still a great game. Settlement building is addictive as hell. Weapon and armor modding is pretty awesome. And the environment is pretty damn intense. I mean, variable weather patterns?! Wandering around blind in thick fog is nerve-wracking. Having a wicked radiation storm appear out if nowhere, forcing you to desperately take shelter wherever you can, praying that it's enough... it's an incredible experience.
Miller [238240]

I concur the intense experience.
Playing with no HUD and crashing a huge Mirelurk party was such a blast, pun intended :D

regarding other points, these are the exact reasons I bought this on PC.
I'm sure the modders will come up with stuff to enhance any playstyle we like in the near future.
shak [1592807]

And this is why i always wait a year or more to buy for bugs to be fixed and addons. And ya get everything for half the price of getting it right away.

Be patient it helps.