Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Would you?

Started by PatBenatar [420347] on in General Non-related.

45 replies · 355 views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 46 / 46 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

JSnows [14906]

dying for something isn't difficult... the real difficulty is finding something worth dying for

tbh someone that thinks religion is worth killing for makes me as sacred as someone that thinks religion is worth dying for
_T_ [1009930]
tbh someone that thinks religion is worth killing for makes me as sacred as someone that thinks religion is worth dying for



You really do have to wonder wth is going through their heads.
JSnows [14906]

i just reread that and noticed my typo ... it should be "scared" and not "sacred" , but i guess you figured out what i meant ;)
Stork [1874681]

He's crazy anyway, so why would the answer even matter?


This thread has brought up a lot of questions I've been trying to avoid for a while now. Is there an afterlife after death? If there is a God who loves unconditionally like I've been taught to believe, then wouldn't He forgive me if I said no? Is there even a God?


I feel that I would be incredibly stupid to say yes, but somehow it would feel like a huge achievement for me for me to say it. I don't remember ever saying with conviction "I am a Christian." I still feel unsure, even though I was born into a Christian family.


If I lied to survive, I think I would feel the need to justify my survival. Being lucky (or blessed) to survive must mean that I have a reason to live... And right now I'm honestly not sure if I have a convincing one. If I lived through an experience like this, I'd have to do something meaningful with my life afterwards.


Like I heard someone say recently, it wouldn't be about making a point about your religion (not as if it would defend other Christians in any way). Really, the choice is between you and God.
Wulf_Fang [1956811]

if the shooter is foolish enough to risk blasphemy against the deities then i need not answer to him/her at all, just grin and carry on regardless.



iRi0t [1581900]

I have lied for much less, so I most definitely am lying for my life.

BTW does anybody have 10b laying around, I promise to pay you right back :P
ZombieQueen93 [1710017]

I am a Christian and I would never deny Jesus even if it cost me my life, so I would tell the truth and if the shooter killed me then at least I know where I'd be going.
_TB [102482] Wiki Contributor

Absolute rubbish question.

Only one way to deal with this is a HUGE increase expenditure in education. Total banning of ANY religious education taught in schools
CatHead [1581564]

Isn't pride a sin?

Why would God/Jesus care. Wouldn't they want you to follow the path that isn't suicide? Practically, you're not helping anyone by standing tall and declaring your faith unless you believe your deity is so weak and ignorant that he can't see why you're denying him/ can't forgive you for it.

I have no religion but I'd be happy to claim i do if it saves me from getting shot.
Beerstein [1322136]

Not just that but suicide is also which is something this could be seen as. Not only could it be looked at as pride, and even lack of faith that they'd be forgiven for trying to press on so that they could try to make the world better for others. In the end if I were them and did it I wouldn't be so sure about where I'd end up for doing it.

The mentality I'm seeing here is more cult and less faith.
PatBenatar [420347]

The question is not meant to be right or wrong, just something to think about. My answer comes from my heart, and I hope I am strong enough if ever placed in that situation.
Ceb [68232] Committee Committee

Hmm, I feel like there's some sort of ethical problem with trying to glorify, justify, or otherwise imitate or relate to a horrible situation such as that. So I disagree with asking the question or debating it...

But ethics are more of...guidelines than rules. So I'll answer anyway.

The question is irrelevant and broken. People are different when put in dire situations so it's delusional to say you know exactly what you'd do. Especially when small details can make all the difference. I'd like to think I'd do whatever it takes to save other lives. If their goal is killing people then stopping the threat would seem prudent. If their goal is to take something, then let them have it so people don't get hurt. If they're targeting my religion, then to me, there's a bigger issue at stake and that's a message. I'd do whatever it takes to send the right message. It would depend on circumstance as to what exactly that is, but I'm not too keen on lying about things significant to me, so I don't see myself doing much of that.