Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

API initial release, pre announcement!

Started by boo [1544641] on in API Development.

22 replies · 767 views · thread synced · 7 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 23 / 23 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
23
Discussion span
→
Authority score
76 / 100
Historical score
38 / 100
Story score
39 / 100
Engagement score
67 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

boo [1544641]

Api looks cool, shame its read only though.

Has anyone made use of what they know about it yet besides Icey?
Plornt [1799359]

Cant wait to see the amount of city watch's come out of it >.>

But yeah its actually pretty nice to have. Especially using the item data for IRC bots to get the market worth of an item etc. Not really sure what else you can use it for apart from a city watch clone or stat tracker (that Icey seems to have covered).
boo [1544641]

It draws a line in the sand where there used to be a grey area so that, for bot developers, it is extremely clear what is and isn't accessible with scripts - that is one good by-product of this...
HandsomePants [1897243]

Is it a bug that I cannot Create a Thread in this sparkling new forum? Not that I really want to atm, but just not sure. Could boo do it because Committee?
Plornt [1799359]

For bot developers maybe but what about those who write user scripts for torn? Do they have to also now use the API despite having access to whats on the page? Are user scripts going to become (unenforceably) illegal again?

I like the API don't get me wrong. Just thinking from another perspective here as to what possibilities this can actually bring with only read access.
Plornt [1799359]

That API Proposal is slightly inaccurate. Theres a few which are not listed on there and a few with different names. Might be better off waiting for them to release all the routes and info on it.

What type of mobile app? Just like a city watch for your phone?
IceBlueFire [776] Officer Officer

He's right, it's just a ballpark. That was the initial proposal. Since then, things have changed a little bit (for the better), and it'll be released soon =)
Detective [1557351]

Yes, just like the pc app. :)

But I can't add e.g. medical cooldown because of the api proposal, but, if it's going to be added soon than I'll wait a bit more. :)
Mauk [1494436]

Will the released API support filters (eg. messages with timestamps greater than X, ignore fields Y, etc.)? What about HTTP/2?

There's too much bandwidth overhead so far for me to move over from the City Watch API.
1958872 [1958872]
http://api.torn.com/user/[MyID]?selections=[selection]&key=[MyKey]

So far I've found:
- Bars - energy, nerve, happy values
- Stocks - stock portfolio breakdown
- Networth - networth breakdown

Update - lol the docs say it all. I should read before posting next time. I've been trying out random keywords to get this info. This is gonna save me some time: http://www.tornstats.com/apiproposal.html

@Tom: It can be abused, but it's certainly not easy. I would recommend you don't give away your API key. It would be quite funny to check someones wallet balance before mugging him or her. If I would ever quit I'd make a site showing my wallet balance after purchasing all dividend stocks. That would be a giveaway thread to remember ;)

Q: Did anyone get the stock API for individual stocks to work? Otherwise I'll just buy one of each stock and track those transactions.