I'm trying some stuff out and intend to save the user's API key locally to their machine and I'm wondering... is saving it as plain text okay? Or would encryption be preferred? I would be saving to the user's Windows appdata folder.
API key saved locally
Started by McNeo [864688] on in API Development.
About this thread
Posts archived: 5 / 5 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
- Archived posts
- 5
- Discussion span
- →
- People posting
- 4
- Likes on archived posts
- 5
- Authority score
- 51 / 100
- Historical score
- 18 / 100
- Story score
- 28 / 100
- Engagement score
- 47 / 100
I'm trying some stuff out and intend to save the user's API key locally to their machine and I'm wondering... is saving it as plain text okay? Or would encryption be preferred? I would be saving to the user's Windows appdata folder.
If a malicious user has access to their AppData you can probably assume their computer is compromised in any case. I wouldnt bother encrypting it.
if your making a web client using the API, you could have it saved too cache or have it saved on server using MYSQL? and have it callback the API Key when the browser window loads?
just a few idea's for you
No, making a stand-alone Windows program.
Just store it in appdata, use a .arg extention and 95% of the users will not be able to open it...