59 replies · 411 views · thread synced · 5 days ago
· View on torn.com
About this thread
Posts archived:60 / 60 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
Archived posts
60
Discussion span
→
Authority score
42 / 100
Historical score
29 / 100
Story score
62 / 100
Engagement score
73 / 100
People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.
Most-liked replies
megalomaniacal[1542618]Committee
· 3 likes · ive been growing facial hair since i was about 12 and had a beard since 18 (damned private schools) and all i have ever used is shampoo and conditioner. i sometimes get dry skin under my beard which flakes but …
ReyDuvall[1526820]
· 1 likes · If olive oil is "cheap" I don't even want to know how much you guys are spending on this stuff xD
Lasky[1718783]
· 1 likes · Does it not get all wiry (Cats&Jim)?
No idea if there's already a thread about beards on here but whatevs!
So, Iv'e had a beard now for about 11 months and I quite like it (Apart from the fact that it's bloody ginger), but it feels like a blinking wire brush. I was just wondering how many of you guys have beards and what sort of products do you use to maintain a manly mane (keeping it moisturized, smelling nice, flake free and well kept!).
Iv'e seen a lot of different oils, and creams out there but have absolutely no idea what to get.
Please post pictures/links to your recommended products, and/or chin fluff pics!
"Keep things bright and bushy with this creamy wash for furry faces. Fresh pineapple juice is full of enzymes to cleanse the skin and zap away dirt, whilst almond oil, jojoba oil and cupuaçu butter will leave your beard soft and strokeable. Simply scoop some out of the pot and massage onto your beard and face, rinse off and pat dry."
Bought it from a shop called "LUSH", it's priced at £12.25 for a 240g pot.
I wash mine with shampoo and conditioner just like my hair, when I shower. I tend to comb it out several times a day just to keep it soft and not gnarly. I also use a beard balm once a day to condition it. It moisturizes it and gives it a nice scent. Just comb it in and leave it all day. Also keeps it from snarling up. Here is what I use: http://www.americanprovenance.com/shopmen/beard-balm
If you can find something with similar ingredients, it helps significantly
That stuff looks great! Shame they don't dispatch outside of the US :/ But thanks for posting, I'll definitely look for something with similar ingredients!
ive been growing facial hair since i was about 12 and had a beard since 18 (damned private schools) and all i have ever used is shampoo and conditioner. i sometimes get dry skin under my beard which flakes but honestly i have never found a good solution.
Just shampoo and conditioner, my only problem is that I have trouble getting mine to dry out near my chin. I had a goatee before I let it all grow.,o it's thickest there. (I've been able to grow a full beard since I was in ninth grade, it grows insanely fast)
My mum, of all people, is the one who led to my beard being nice and soft. I was the same as you, it was very wiry feeling for a long time so I kept it short. Then one day, I was speaking to my mum and she casually mentioned the stuff she was using on her hair. I thought f**k it, why not give it a try. Best thing I've ever found for my beard. It's called Argan oil, usually labelled as being from Morocco. Now where would you find such a magical thing? Home Bargains or B&M ;)
(Really hoping they have those in Wales now, or I look a bit silly.)
:O Holy poop, I actually bought a load of Argan oil products for my GF from poundland the other day (Top bf lol) >.< I'm going to have to pinch some I think! I'll give it a go and let you know :D
I just use it as and when I can be bothered tbh. Every 3 days or so seems to do the trick. Just wash it as you normally would while you're in the shower on the inbetween days.
I condition mine in the shower, but it still is a little wiry. I have debated experimenting with some balms/oils, but not sure how much softer it will really get. If anything I want to use some shea butter/argan balm to help keep my skin from drying out. I wash my beard any time I eat, so moisturizer would be a good thing.
I just use a standard shampoo or shower gel and conditioner on my beard and comb it maybe 2-3 times a day, funny really because I have just started to let the hair on my head do its own thing (natural freeform dreadlocks), so I'm washing the hair on my head with a residue free shampoo, no conditioner, no combing and use the shampoo and conditioner I used to use on my head on my beard.
I went through that once. Several months of messy hair like almost a year, and only a few partial locks. My hair gets too oily too quick I guess, and it is thick. Was thinking about "fake" ones with TNR or BC. I would limit my washing to when needed, and use fancy shampoo. I have a physical labor job though and go to the gym, so sweat a lot and need to bathe. If anything I think a BC with maintenance for a few months then full neg. I think my hair will not get along well with the TNR, and it will just ruin my hair.
Yeah I never thought I would be able to have dreadlocks, but I did some research and I think I am able to give it a go. I made some sea salt water spray, and got a few microfiber towels to rub my hair, I also got a wool hat so a few times a day I rub my hair with the hat. I was considering BC or TNR but that seems like too much work plus it would mean finding someone to spend that amount of time on my hair so I decided to go freeform, lol I don't find sitting rubbing my hair an hour or so when I'm sat watching tv in the evening taxing and it keeps my hair course, and I use the sea salt water spray and just rub it dry a few hours before I wash my hair that way it dries my hair out and mats it up more.. It has only been a few weeks so I cant say how successful it will be but I do have a few small thin locks forming on the back of my head I have a few thicker locks also forming in the same place, i have 2 or 3 on the top of my head forming too, i just check them to see if they need separating into smaller clumps. lol don't fancy one massive lock on my head The fringe around my ears and the top of my neck aren't doing anything at the moment but I think as the others form that hair will end up locking to those dreads around it..
But back to the beard I never used oils or moisturises just shampoo and conditioner and make sure to comb it often and it stays quite soft, bearing in mind it is probably three times thicker hair than is on my head so it will always be rougher feeling than normal head hair.
Argan oil's good, but coconut oil or jojoba oil will also do the trick. Even olive oil will help if you're feeling cheap. Sounds like you have some thirsty, thirsty beards is all.