30 replies · 342 views · thread synced · 7 days ago
· View on torn.com
About this thread
Posts archived:31 / 31 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
Archived posts
31
Discussion span
→
Authority score
40 / 100
Historical score
22 / 100
Story score
55 / 100
Engagement score
64 / 100
People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.
Most-liked replies
megalomaniacal[1542618]Committee
· 1 likes · It's plenty enough turns. The fact of the matter is that there were additions to Christmas town over the years. It was not meant to be finished from start to finish in one year. I'm sure that there would be …
Indeed it is - back in 2013 people were able to work through xmas town from the very beginning to the end of 2013 content with their turns *and* pick up the chests along the way.
How is it onerous? It's really easy except for the pot luck that is one-lock chests (and the rare occasion where you have to guess between X-9 or X-X on a two lock chest when you've only gotten a single green match out of numbers 1-8)...
I found it rather tiresome to have to just take random guesses every time and then hope that you get it right. If you don't cotton onto at least two of the numbers by your third guess then you have a pretty slim chance of getting the chest combination correct.
Most of the chests I found this year were all three tumblers and I found that if I didn't have at least two yellows or greens by the third guess then I had at best a 25% chance to guess the two missing numbers and not have the chest implode on me.
I can only speak for myself, but I would prefer an algorithm of some kind, or a mathematical equation to be solved as opposed to just guessing and hoping.
It's plenty enough turns. The fact of the matter is that there were additions to Christmas town over the years. It was not meant to be finished from start to finish in one year. I'm sure that there would be more quests if they had planned on having Christmas town from the start, instead it was stated a long time ago there would be no Christmas town and so many people whined and cried about it they brought it back.
You don't have to take random guesses for the chests though - there is a *very* easy system you can use (same sort of system you use in mastermind just a lot less complex).
On three lock chests you should have a 100 success rate - if you don't then you're just not doing it right and that's on you I'm afraid, not the "algorithm".
You may be totally correct, there could be an easy way to count the chests that I haven't been able to discern thus far and I am just not doing it right, I never intended to imply anything else. And if you were to apply the logic that "Well this feature won't be in the new Christmas Town and thus doesn't matter", you would also be right, but I threw it out there anyway.
If you were talking about the board game Mastermind, I am afraid the reference to the system is lost on me, that sort of game was never my cup of tea.
It is still about steps as far as I can tell, simply talking about another feature in Xmas Town that I think made a good counter to the original question, and I am having a discourse with someone about the second feature for the moment.
Really not bothered about the step allowance to be honest. What I don't like is the fact you cannot rely on the directional arrows. I am stood on the path at position x-11, y-15 and the arrow suggests I move south east. At position x-12, y-15 I on the same path, but there is the frozen river running north and south on the x-12, y-15 axis either side of the path and the directional arrow suggests I should move due south along the x-12 axis directly down the frozen river. When I step to position x-13, y-15 I am on the east side of the frozen river and the directional arrow suggests I need to move south west. Last I checked you could not cross a frozen river without a path leading over it and you most certainly could not walk down one.
How can the "Christmas Carnival ... Amazing!" be on both sides of the river (If you're to believe the directional arrows) when the x-12, y-15 axis is the only frozen river crossing in Christmas town.
This is not the first time I have experienced an anomaly like this during Christmas Town 15/16, and I have even noticed on occasion that when clicking on the map without taking a step the colour and the direction of the arrow changes.
Is this a ploy to get us to waste steps and ultimately find less, complete less tasks etc.?
No its just how Xmas town is / was - a bit haphazard and held together with chewing gum and loose hair in places, all part of the fun really.
The actual objectives themselves "moving around" was the most fun part iirc - you could get lucky and find what you were looking for the first time you visited a location or you could spend 40-50 turns visiting every single square in that location many times before finally finding what you were looking for.
Was in the process of editing my post when I was mugged. Re-posted now. Thank you for the explanation. Bit less of the gum and hair next time though if you don't mind lol.
Back to make a decision on the ice river now. Do I go left or right????
I think 250 steps per day is plenty. This year i managed go from halfway through 2011 quests, to completing all the quests in xmas town. (That's 2.5 years worth of quests.) If you follow the maps and guides that people were nice enough to put together for you, it's plenty easy to accomplish (and you can even hit the chests on the way).
Regarding chests, remember that red means it's not a part of the combination, yellow means it's the right number, but in the wrong spot, and green means it's the right number in the right spot. With that knowledge, 3 number chests are impossible to fail. On the first try, use numbers 1, 2, and 3. Note down if any of those are right. Now try 4, 5, and 6. Again, note them down. Lastly try 7, 8, and 9. This should give you all the information you need, now you just need to play with the order. If you only got 2 numbers to light up, there's a double somewhere, and you should be able to figure it out in the last 2 guesses.
On 2 number chests, it's slightly more risky, but still near impossible to fail. On the first 4 guesses, you go through 1,2 then 3,4, then 5,6, then 7,8. If you know the combination, great. If not, the 5th guess is luck. Either you have a combination that is the same number for both, or there is a 9 in there. The choice is yours, but typically putting a 9 in the spot you don't know is right.
The 1 number chests...that's all pure luck. Not much you can do there.
Lastly, yes some of the first objectives moved around. It made it a little more interesting, albeit a lot more annoying because you couldn't just walk every square and cross them off as you went. Perhaps you could argue that it was meant to consume steps, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.