There is an island base you can build on that is the largest base in the game but to cover it like I did would cause the game to lag to the point where its just unplayable.
Would have done that instead but didn't want to do that since Just Cause 3 was just released today and I've been wanting to play that.
There a unlimited size glitch for both xbox 1 & PS4 so you can keep building without having to remove anything.
Edit: Also a unlimited resources glitch and a special glitch that almost doubles each stat like i don't have what i need yet but i got... S - 10 P - 15 E - 10 C - 12 I - 11 A - 10 L - 11 point being having that 2+ charisma got me more than 20 people in two of my towns and i still can add more. :D
I didn't find out about the unlimited size glitch until a couple of days ago (and realized I had been accidentally doing it when I was having Dogmeat duplicate my special weapons). I almost feel dirty about it, but I used the vender ammo glitch very early on. I've mostly spent my time building up Sanctuary, though, so it doesn't really count as "cheating" in my opinion.
Now, using Dogmeat to duplicate my You're SPECIAL book and boosting all of my S.P.E.C.I.A.L. stats to 10... that's a different story. I never exploited any glitches in FO3, during the 200+ hours I've sank into it, and I only used exploits in NV after I beat the game on a legit playthrough... but since Bethesda decided to rape the RPG out of FO4, I figured why the hell not?
I went to all of the cities and bought one of each of the shipments of building materials and I've been duplicating them as needed. Settlement building is just so damn addicting; I can't be bothered to go exploring for more building materials.
I think I'm going to fire it up in a few minutes and try out the unlimited size glitch and just go nuts on Sanctuary. I impulse-bought myself a new headset (Turtle Beach Stealth 500P) that I've been itching to try out.
My only concern is overdoing it and exceeding the hardware limits on my PS4, but I've heard it takes a lot to get to that point.
I didn't use any until i beaten all 4 ending (3 only needed doing but they are not worth it IMO so i loaded back to keep everyone alive) and had the game 98% completed part from that 100% in a settlement which using a set up taken 6 hours to get.
Can't wait to fix that movie screen in my market at starlight drive in but i have no idea what to do with it apart from being cool looking at night with what i already done.
Now your only half right with the special glitch, you need to get all the chem stat & drug debuff, use the dogmeat to dup the book to fill them back to 10, get a cure and top it all of with stat rasing gear(if you get that upgrade from the railroad to add armor to a hat and outfit your Armor rating will be ok).
So you can build you own settlement and have people living in it making money n stuff? Does this settle come under attack then? with you defending it with your people? Was a fan of the last Fallout im not the sort of person that goes into every detail and corner of the game. Is there an easy simple option to building things? Sounds interesting might have to invest
Yes you can have up to 20 people in a settlement with 10 charisma and you can create farms that you make money from by selling the food to shop venders.
Raids happen alot but you hardly loss anyone so after 100 or more i just avoid doing them.
You can give armor and weapons to them to help you during a raid, best to give them miniguns with one 5mm since a bug gives them unlimited ammo.
For building there some presets you can use for both wood and steel that snap together if you don't like the look you can use one of the buildings or buy the house in diamond city and work on the deco inside with chairs,tables,paintings,rugs and so on...Too much to list out here what you can build.