Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

[API Tool] Chain Watch

Started by McNeo [864688] on in Graveyard.

33 replies · 798 views · thread synced · 13 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 34 / 34 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
34
Discussion span
→
Authority score
41 / 100
Historical score
31 / 100
Story score
66 / 100
Engagement score
71 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

McNeo [864688]
Unless any major bugs are found, or the API changes and renders this program inoperable, I've officially stopped work on Chain Watch since territories is supposedly right around the corner.

Thank you everyone for your interest and support, and please do look forward to my other projects!

Chain Watch v1.2.0.2 is now available for download! (19/05/16 21:10 TCT)

Never miss a chain or bonus again! A must-have for fast chains, faction chain leaders, and anyone serious about chaining.

[image: torn.daveeverett.net]

Features include:
  • Option to always be on top of other windows.
  • Option to start with Windows.
  • Optional popup alerts when a chain begins, gets near a bonus (cusomizable from 1-9 hits), or gets near timing out (customizable 30-120 seconds).
  • Provides quick links to quickly access the warbase, Travel Agency, or your items.
  • Proven during testing to update 1-6 seconds FASTER than the in-game chain bar, even during lag!
  • This will work for chains lasting longer than 100.
  • Optional compact view to save screen space.
Screenshots: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Download: Download Chain Watch v1.2.0.2

More information can be found on my homepage dedicated to my Torn API development here: http://torn.daveeverett.net
McNeo [864688]

I have nothing to hide, but I spent hours and hours developing and testing and don't want my hard work ripped off. As my site states, I'm more than happy to review the code with anyone who has any concerns.

There's plenty of free closed source applications out there we all know and love. Don't hate just because I play the same game you do lol, I really can't see how you'd have anything against me in the realm of software development.
McNeo [864688]

Would it somehow make you feel better if I called myself Microdick and charged $100 for it? Or if I called myself Giigle and made it available for free but made you agree to a 500 page TOS page? lol.

Difference is, I'm not out for money or ad revenues. I simply want to protect my work while giving others a tool to use in a mutual game we all enjoy.

As a developer and creator I am offended by your post, honestly. Are there and will there be malicious applications? Absolutely. I feel I've taken every possible step to ensure a player's security, and even offered to share my code with a trusted third party. If you check the API forums, you'll see I'm quite active there. Furthermore, if you look at my full website (remove the torn. subdomain) you will see that I am a professional in the IT field.

Anyway, end rant. If you choose not to use this or other programs I develop that's fine by me, I have nothing to gain from it. I'm just using a skill I have to try to aid others.
Korten [290467]

I mean no insult or disrespect to you, it looks like a great use of the API and I look forward to using it.

I'm just saying, if you weren't in Relentless I would take one look at this and go "nope", especially in light of a certain PT script.
As an IT professional you can't seriously suggest someone who isn't in the know go downloading and using programs that they find sitting on a public forum.

But for anyone concerned about this one in particular, use it it's fine. Files clean, no packets going where they shouldn't, just a handy tool for those who like warring.
Rem [1946575]

I just tried to download it for my tablet I use tampermonkey for dolphin browser and it didn't wanna download I would like to use this
McNeo [864688]

This is a Windows program.

When you say "tablet" do you mean an Android tablet or iPad? Because if so, then yeah, it won't work.

If it's a Windows tablet then it will work. I could try to help but "it didn't wanna download" isn't much information to go off of...
Wollongong [12833]

Interesting response. Because the guy actually never addressed you personally, but addressed the situation where more .exe files will come. Some of those may indeed be malware. This IS a risk, and it is one which should be addressed.

It might be good to have some sort of Torn-store on this site, where only "tested and safe" applications are entered (you'd probably be the first :D)

Apart from that, I am definately subscribing to this thread, to keep on top of future developments. Because I much like this concept.
McNeo [864688]

I've made a suggestion for this in the API thread, it died off pretty quick. And still, who would test these things? You'd need a sandbox machine that, if it breaks, you don't care. And you'd need a lot of software to test for file changes, registry changes, browser changes, monitor network traffic... It wouldn't be a cheap or fast process to test every little app people make.
Scootaloo [1590427]

I've chained with it numerous times over the last two weeks, excellent. Often times faster than the actual chain bar, and with the "always on top" option and alerts at certain intervals it's really handy.

My only issue was about 5 days ago when for some reason the application kept spamming me "Too many requests" errors. That's fine in and of itself but there was about 80 or so instances of this error screen shown before I killed it lol.
McNeo [864688]

During a chain this will make up to 30 queries per minute which is still well under the limit. Do you use any other apps or scripts or sites that make API queries? I'll improve error handling on this and limit the number of popups it generates.
Scootaloo [1590427]

I do, I had a small bug on my own API project, but the issue was the huge amount of "too many requests" windows, and if that's being fixed I eagerly await your next update.
McNeo [864688]

I already know where in my code causes this, I just need to make it not pop up an alert if an alert is already there. Thanks for the info.
McNeo [864688]
Chain Watch v1.1.0.0 is now available for download! (07/01/16 04:40 TCT)

Download: Download Chain Watch v1.1.0.0

More information can be found on my homepage dedicated to my Torn API development here: http://torn.daveeverett.net

Update history:
  • 1.1.0.0
    • Reason: Feature addition and bug fixes
    • Required update: Yes, previous versions will cause errors
    • Features added:
      • Added option to allow timeout alerts for chains above 100.
    • Bug fixes:
      • Fixed an error on startup as a result of an update to the Torn API.
      • Fixed cascading error messages: If an error message is displayed, other error messages will not be displayed.
      • Fixed text overlap issue on Windows XP.
      • Fixed issue with colors if a non-standard Windows system color scheme is selected.
McNeo [864688]
Chain Watch v1.2.0.1 is now available for download! (18/01/16 03:45 TCT)

Download: Download Chain Watch v1.2.0.1

More information can be found on my homepage dedicated to my Torn API development here: http://torn.daveeverett.net

Update history:
  • 1.2.0.1
    • Reason: Feature addition and bug fixes
    • Required update: No, previous versions will work fine
    • Features added:
    • Bug fixes:
      • Fixed an issue causing the main window to open hidden behind the taskbar if the taskbar is at the top of the screen.