Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Brussels attacks

Started by MachineGunSteve [184119] on in Politics & Law.

141 replies · 788 views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 142 / 142 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
142
Discussion span
→
Authority score
12 / 100
Historical score
23 / 100
Story score
48 / 100
Engagement score
80 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

MachineGunSteve [184119]

Here we go again... another European city attacked. I wonder how many of these it will take before Europe is galvanized and really puts some boots on the ground to deal with ISIS, and other problem groups in close proximity?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35869254
_T_ [1009930]
[:cry:] All I can really say about it anymore. Hard to say why Obama can't get with the U.K. leaders & decimate them allready.

You figure these f**kers would be smart enough to see this is the type of shit thats going to push us into 1 world gov. & either try to combine or abolish religious choices. & would seem to go against the agenda they're pushing.

Not sure what Brussels airport security is like. But if it's anything close to American airport security. It's hard to imagine how this could happen with the overkill in precautions that are taken. Coincidence?

Putting my tinfoil hat on early today. Thnx Steve. In all seriousness though. Im sad for the innocent lives lost.
MachineGunSteve [184119]

I will be honest with you _T_... I don't want Obama getting with the U.K. leaders... I want Europe to spearhead this fight, because that is their backyard. If the USA does more we will just be ridiculed for our actions. We have done enough militarily 'over there' for a while. Sure we can help out with humanitarian needs, and give some intel support and such, but I want to see Germany, France, Belgium, etc., etc., etc., sending their men and materials into the fight that is right on their doorsteps.
1869298 [1869298]

Youre late Steve, Turkey, Ivory Coast and few other countries also been attacked. Where are your threads on those.

Europe isnt the center of the earth. If youre going to make threads like these then i would advise you to at least have the dignity to give your condolences to other countries who have also suffered attacks.

My condolences to all innocent lives that have been lost on these past terrorist attacks, rest in peace.

PS: One thing i truly hate is when heartless people use these attacks as propaganda for their own cause whatever it may be, blaming immigration, terrorism recruitment and so on.
CatHead [1581564]

Endless fighting is what causes endless fighting. These deaths are tragic and pointless. They come from the enemies' hands and seem to strike at our own hearts. But that's exactly how they feel about bombs dropped signed with our names, dropped on their grandparents, their towns, their villages.

"Collateral damage" is our term for their families that are killed. Our fighters are legitimate because we deem them legitimate.

I see no tears about Turkey. I see no tears for the middle east. I see no tears for northern Africa. Then these attacks come and we all cry. Why? Because these people look like us? Most people who are posting about it on Facebook couldn't name five cities in Belgium.


These atrocities are terrible. I'm not trying to say they're not or weigh them against others and say they're insignificant. I just wish our media and our people cared for other peoples as much as we do for our own.

Sorry this was a bit of a ramble. I can't get my thoughts in check about this. I've been wanting to rage on Facebook for a while and this is an anonymous outlet so that's probably better. I condemn any and all attacks, I'm just fed up of the "These animals can't live in a civil society, let's f**k them up beyond any recognition and show them what being civil really means."
Flugkatze [1718691]

What i always do when Istanbul is the target: wait until a Turkish friend comes online.
What i did after the earthquake in Nepal: waited for the player from there to come online.
What i did after the attack in Paris: waited for our French faction member to come online.
Checking today all day the status of four players i know. Two haven't been online so far, but should be ok. Would be too much bad luck if they would have been there.

Personally i can say it touches me more if i know someone from the area or if i have been there before. That might also be that way for others.
The thing is if you would care for everyone everywhere on earth, it would drive you insane due to all the bad things which happen every second. At least, that's my theory.
Teppic [1743]

It is kind of naive to expect this to end with military actions. It´s not like the years in Afghanistan&Iraq put any dents to their efforts.

So eeeh... If the worlds largest military force can not do anything about it without resorting to nukes, why would Europe with a much lesser military budget and personel be able to do anything about the situation in the middle east trough military force?


MachineGunSteve [184119]

I am not late, Zauzam... I was just waiting for you to take the lead. Still waiting.

Europe certainly isn't the center of the earth, but it certainly seems to be ground zero for human conflict... unless my history books have been wrong.

PS- One thing I truly hate is when overly emotional people read too much into a couple of lines posted by other people, and they jump to conclusions based on... nothing much.
MachineGunSteve [184119]

It is even more naive to expect it to end with little or no action, except by players in far off lands who have a less vested interest in the outcome.

While it does seem that there is little positive that has come out of Iraq (unless we consider that Kuwait did get it's country back) and Afghanistan, it is impossible for us to know how much damage has been done to jihadist efforts... It probably hasn't been enough damage to justify the lives and riches lost, but that could just be my erroneous calculus on the efforts. Trust me when I say I wish the USA had it's men and trillions back, but that is water under the bridge now.
CatHead [1581564]

They seem stronger now than ever before. They're the Hydra, growing heads at an astonishing rate and all we seem to be doing is feeding their strength.

Surely after decades of trying the same shit, we should at least look at something new. Slaughtering people's families and leaving them no future in their lands is creating our own enemies. The children of today who grow up in houses with no roofs, running from bombs, watching their mothers die, receiving no education except being told the names of the countries who are doing this to them; they are the jihadists of tomorrow. Radical Islam wouldn't have a foot to stand on if we did nothing but help them. "Those bastards who offer us nothing but peace and love need to die." Is a hard sell.

Perhaps wanting any positive outcome from this at all is naive. There probably is no resolution at this point.
MachineGunSteve [184119]

The more I think on it (since about 1972 for me), the more I think your last line is the most likely to be correct.

I think there are too many players in this game now with too much to lose. Eternal conflict seems to be in the 'not so new', normal.
1869298 [1869298]

People will never understand this sadly. The envrioment some people grow in has a major effect on what kind of a human they turn out to be.

Another invasion will literally solve nothing but give them more the reason for revenge and more brainwashing.

Its a really cruel world and in these situations the bigots and racists come out their closet and use these incidents to justify what they say and i truly despise that.
1869298 [1869298]

I didnt jump into any conclusion i thought it would have been considerate of you to at least mention all the terrorist attacks that have happened in other countries too as they have also been a victim of terrorism.

End of the day we are all human and one human is not higher then other.
Thief [206758]

reasons for revenge you say well what the hell did Belgium ever do to them... saying its revenge is just BS its not about revenge its about a f**ked up religious viewpoint.
Thief [206758]

these people pretty much have declared war on everyone in the world who isnt just like them and then your trying to blame the people they want to kill for it...
_T_ [1009930]

I don't disagree with that. But their not handling the situation properly. & as history has shown, Europe's problems eventually do become our problems aswell.

I can't chime in to much. This thread was the first i heard of today's event's aside from the lil bit I caught on the radio a few mins ago. I'l have to catch up tonight when I get home.
_T_ [1009930]

I don't disagree with the generalization. Education does play a strong point in questioning belief systems. But tbf. The U.S. does send out trillions in aid to multiple countries every year. I've always thought we should scrutinize more on how that aid is distributed & utilized, instead of dropping it into the hands of a few & expecting them to do the rite thing. But I guess that's another discussion.
1869298 [1869298]

Calm down young one, you obviously struggling to read what i type. In their OWN eyes its revenge. See now if that last part were to be true then these attacks would happen everyday in Europe as a lot of Muslims do live in Europe.

You really need to calm down though and think before you type. They are brainwashed into wanting revenge, its not rocket science.
_T_ [1009930]
The envrioment some people grow in has a major effect on what kind of a human they turn out to be.


?Exactly. You fail to see it works both ways though.
MachineGunSteve [184119]

Oh, okay... I am sorry I didn't go back in time and make mention of all the attacks perpetrated by jihadists... perhaps I should go all the way back to say 711 CE, and mention the Battle of Jebel Tarik and the beginnings of the Muslim Conquest of Europe?

I am sorry for all the loss of innocent life on both sides of the never ending conflict.