Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Any Alienware users?

Started by 1364743 [1364743] on in Gaming.

44 replies · 368 views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 45 / 45 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Miller [238240]

you sound like a very generous customer, I don't mind to be your pc dude and give you all kinds of excellent services...


on a more serious note, I was ready to build another PC 2 years back.
But when I calculated and compared the total price, it was surprisingly cheaper to hand pick the parts and let Cyberpower pc build it for me.
With all the promotions and the no tax benefit, I saved almost $300. And the computer is running flawlessly still, no complain so far.
PatBenatar [420347]

My big seller point was I had to have Windows 7, I hate Windows 8. I hear the new Windows coming out is more user friendly, sure hope so. The pre-built never had window 7 left. Alienwear built one kept crashing and then they told me it was the Windows 7 and they could not fix it. Mind you I had them pick everything out, I had nothing but there knowledge, they charged me 2.5k for a worthless piece of crap. I sent it back and told them they lost a customer. The company I had build my beast had free rein again and I told them I did not want it until they tested it over and over again to make sure Windows 7 was compatible. The PC they made was so much better, more bells and whistles and the cost was the same price for such a superior pc.

That is the perks of being retired, you can spend money on things that really is going to enrich your day, I love gaming and traveling, no much else so I am content.
AwakeNoWokeFail [79965]

I like B.L. Customs on eBay. I bought one from him a little over a year ago. I'm still loving it. It was within my 2K budget and already pre-built. I asked that he change the graphics card to a 660SC and he said no problem (I had just bought one for my old pc). And, without my asking, he upgraded the cpu from i5 to i7 and put in a blu ray drive.

Seems like a good builder to me. Apparently he has recently suffered some family tragedy and has not been able to respond to mails. So if you go to his Burnie Leach's Custom PC Guestbook and see a few negative posts. That's why. One of the main reasons I bought from him is because of all the positive reviews.
1364743 [1364743]

Macs aren't definitely not poop, an upgraded version of mac for gaming would be Razer blade.
Light sleek fast and powerful.
If only mac upgrades it's graphics and the hard drives to SSD then i would definitely buy that.
GTX 800-970 and SSD of 500GB would be perfect.
MaxHeadRoom [1429645]

alienware = expensive plastic Dell

with half a brain and some effort you could learn to build your own gaming rig with more power and less cash.

in my mind alienware was always something that clueless parents gave whiney teenagers for birthdays and xmas



also a prev post was talking about big casings?

thats a no brainer, pc's generate heat. a nice big atx model case and a few good fans will give epic air flow and will look the dogs bollocks with the right shape and lit fans.


Gungrave [470221]

If you get BSOD's write down the error codes and if you have another device or computer with internet access google the error codes.
SeaLion [250755]

I researched your error codes for you. Looks that you have some issues with hardware and drivers. This is commonly caused from updates or lack of ESPECIALLY in gaming laptops. I suggest you try to boot into safe mode with networking, and then run ASC Ultimate and Driver Booster. I use these programs for all my maintenance and my PC runs flawlessly.

http://www.iobit.com/en/index.php

I highly recommend their software. Been using it for at least 5 years, and when I ran my own computer company I used it for all clients computers too. Pro tip buy ASC ultimate, and then buy driver booster within that program for a better deal.

I used to have a 17" Asus gaming laptop. I am highly disgusted with the overall experience I had with it. Tons of BSOD, VBIOS never updated officially, drivers lagged behind and abandoned, got hot quick.

Another suggestion I have for you is to try a clean install on a new hard drive. Western Digital Black drives are fantastic for hybrids and the newer Samsung SSD drives pack some serious speed too. Seagate momentus drives are alright, cheaper SSD is cheap for a reason too. Check out speed ratings on the drives you consider, and not the ones from manufacturer lol. Once you do a clean install, do not install anything except for ASC/driver booster. Run all windows updates, update all drivers, upgrade OS, etc. Make a restore point, and go from there.

Another great product for a gaming laptop is a cooling pad. I suggest a Cooler Master Storm.

http://www.amazon.com/CM-Storm-SF-17-Ergonomic-Settings/dp/B00E5AEITU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1444596269&sr=8-1&keywords=cm+storm+sf+19

SeaLion [250755]

God forbid you call tech support either. I used an Asus mobo in my new build, top of line Sabertooth ROG etc. I had an issue that turned out just to be that my BIOS corrupted and I needed to reflash. I had to figure that out on my own too. The lady for tech support was like, "Has it worked before?" Me, "Yes." Her, "Well then you broke it is not our fault call someone else." I tried to explain what had happened to her to which she raised her voice yelling at me, etc. I did nothing to deserve that reaction.

I recently bought two 15" Asus i7 laptops (configured them for grandparents), Asus 3200 router, Asus wifi card AC68 model, Asus transformer prime tablet w/keyboard I have had for a couple years, Asus G73JH which was awful gaming laptop ZERO support or updates had to hack VBIOS to support OpenGL for minecraft, I run an additional Asus Dark Knight router as extender, and have owned several other Asus products in the past.

Honestly, had I had that customer service experience from them before I bought two high end laptops I would have bought them Mac Book Pros instead.... I used to trust the build quality and customer service, but anymore I do not. Going MSI/Gigabit next for next years mobo, and any future family members will not be recommended Asus anymore. Also the router is decent but has shit software tbh, the smart connect is shaky at best based on the response time from 5.0GHz vs 2.4.... Too many milliseconds lag = DC from server and dropping client session in competitive multiplayer matches. I thought about buying the Asus G750, but got burned too much with past purchase of their gaming laptop.

TL;DR

After spending thousands of dollars on Asus products I would not recommend that shit to anyone.
Gungrave [470221]

Customer service is one of the reasons why I stick to custom built computers I research the parts and make sure they're compatible and I've only ever had to contact customer service once for a defective Western Digital hardrive that was DOA for which they were very helpful.

Besides customer service me and others I've helped have been burned by buying prebuilts over the years...
  1. Dell - Had 2 computers both of which had to send back to them a combined total of 6 times for defective parts or them simply not connecting parts preventing them from working I mean seriously how do you make an amateur mistake like not connecting parts WHEN YOU'RE REPLACING THEM!!! Its worth noting I barely had the computers for a total of a year and they were a desktop and laptop both of which stayed on my desk without being moved anywhere or dropped.
  2. Alienware - Had an pre-dell Alienware and one after dell bought them out and both times they wanted to charge me twice the cost of the parts to which I told them to kiss my ass and I just googled broken alienware computer parts to find some spares and with the help of others fixed the second Alienware myself. Oddly enough 1 month later the second computer broke and I just said f**k this and threw out the secondfloor window into the woods then went on to buy parts for a custom build.
  3. Asus - Lastly the elephant in the room which wasn't mine but I fixed it constantly since I owed favors to my friend that owned it. This thing had problems with nearly everything from minor software conflictions to hardware failure all of which I don't want to go into. After the 5th time trying to deal with this laptop I told my friend give me $400 and the laptop and he can have my old gaming desktop which was twice as powerful.
PonyCorn [1976889]

Sorry guys. Thanks for the awesome comments and answers. Ive fixed the bluescreen of death, thanks to SeaLion there. And ive poked a few things around.. been literally washing the fans for like every once every 1 or 2 months. Bought an additional hard drive (1tb SSD), and 2 8gb rams. Unfortunately after taking out the original 2 4gb rams from its slot, and replacing them with the 2 8gbs, and found out that those doesnt work. So i placed 2 4gb rams back to its original slot hoping it to work, but one of those slots doesnt work (there are like 4 slots and slot B doesnt work anymore).so i tried every slot with the original 4gb ram and there it proves that Alienware 17 r1 is a one piece of nice shit. Out of 4 slots, only slot A anf slot C works. So now im back to 8gb ram.
And every once in awhile the computer randomly shuts off out of nowhere without a notice. And after that i was hoping some kind of a message like " Your computer went haywired unexpectedly would you like to start your windows back to its normal or check (recommended)" something like that but nothing, like literally not even a single message or anything.

Thanks


Gungrave [470221]

Airflow management isn't that big of a deal so long as you get the proper sized PC tower for your build and not go the Dell route by being cheap and cramming parts in an undersized PC.

I myself for my second and current PC had to get the largest tower which has 10 fans = 5x240mm, 4x120mm, 1x92mm not including the 2 120mm fans on my Noctua heatsink.Had this computer for 4 years now and never had the temps hit the borderline acceptable range as they've always remained really cool especially my CPU since that Noctua heatsink is amazing with the Noctua thermal paste thats better than artic silver.