Any fellow bibliophiles out there?
Here's a thread to post/discuss what you're currently reading. Feel free to post comment below.
Currently Reading:
Blood Angels: The Second Omnibusby
James SwallowComplete Playsby
Sarah KaneFinnegans Wakeby
James JoyceCome one, come all!
I can only read one book at the time- I am easily confused I guess. I am currently reading Bleak House by Dickens.
"Servants of EVIL" By Bob Carruthers.
As you can imagine, It's pretty uplifting.
Red Cell - By some American dude
American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
The People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn.
Ouch! I hope you're enjoying it more than I did. I read it years ago when I went through a big Dickens(no pun intended) phase and it was my least favorite of his stories that I read. Could have had a lot to do with my age at the time. I enjoyed Tale of Two Cities, Great Expectations, David Copperfield, and Oliver Twist though. Overall the Pickwick Papers was probably my favorite of his works.
Curious if you just picked this up on a whim or if you're reading for a course?
Haha, I'm a big history buff and love WWII lit in particular. Added this one to my to-reads shelf. Hope you're enjoy it! Let me know if it's worth picking up from the library once you've finished.
Tried to look this one up and found like 5 books either titled some variation of Red Cell or part of the "Red Cell Series" :-)
This book, more than any other I've read, really f**ked with my emotions. I've got a copy that I picked up form a used bookstore back in HS and it was a trip reading. The way it's written with him slowly going insane made me feel, at times, like I was losing my own mind. It's a sick f**king book but I loved the experience of reading it. Goddamn that scene though, where's he's talking about putting rats or whatever in the hookers vagina and then sowing it closed was HARD TO READ.
Brave choice going for this one and mad props if you actually slog through to the end. All these years later and I'm still glad to have read it, although at the time it was torturous. Lol I'm getting goosebumps now just remembering!
This book sits on my reference shelf and is never far from hand. I'm not the biggest Zinn fan, I prefer Chomsky, but I definitely appreciate the hell out of this book. A must read for any politically-minded person no matter their leaning.
Not sure if you have an agenda reading this but if you enjoy the book, and haven't already read it, I highly recommend his Writings on Disobedience and Democracy(my favorite Howard Z book by far). Also HIGHLY recommend Oliver Stone's Untold History of the United States, either the 10-part HBO series or the book.
BIG UPS!!
My calculus textbook ;-;
But also "All the Light we Cannot See" by Anthony Doerr
I used to be a major bibliophile, but lately I've hardly been reading other than studying.
It's rather interesting, It's mostly eye witness accounts of the ordinary German soliders throught the war and how they felt and thought about everything.
Lol I feel you about not having the time to read. The struggle is real!
It's a translation, so might actually have a different name in English (can't check now).
My next one is called something along the lines of Ethics in Business... something slightly different.
you want really twisted and bizarre read the marque de sade.
the things he describes in some stories like Juliette or 120 days of Sodom. not for the faint of heart or stomach.
[image: ecx.images-amazon.com]I'm all about the self mastery and self growth life.
...Chomsky and Herbert? M'kay. We're bound to be friends. ;D
No agenda to speak of outside of "How in the Sam Hell did this happen?" and a big fan of Chris Hedges.
I had seen the special on HBO and was pleasantly surprised that Oliver Stone would invest that kind of time/capital into the project. I mean, he's done some bloody good films, but I assume cynicism comes with being a celebrity. I never did get around to finding the book.
Lemme get through this volume (as ordered from Wyoming) and onto Disobedience and Democracy, I know that Zinn is something of a herald when it comes down to the dissenting opinion.
The Book Thief by Maskus Zusak.
It is very interestingly written. The fact that the narrator is Death itself makes it even better.
interview with the vampire by anne rice