Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Karmageddon

Started by LDP [1580562] on in General Discussion.

359 replies · 4.26k views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 360 / 360 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Flugkatze [1718691]

I highly doubt that.
Mat is more scary.

Maybe MB can do more threads with meme's to scare big bogie.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Naw, nothing scares him.
xMrPink [221113]

A lot of karma was obtained via the travel thread yes, but completely stripping players isn't the answer.

By all means prevent future gains but let's be honest, those who update travel run and the thread are doing a service to a large group of players. Punishing them doesn't seem fair when silly trolls still get rewarded for being many things but helpful.

I don't really care for karma that much, and info think the whole system is easily abused. Not to mention your torn celebrities that Wollongong touched on in a previous post: sycophants rating up big players in a hope of being noticed. Same players get brown nosed in most threads just because of their status.

A system like this is just like social media "likes" and boils down to a popularity contest.
bogie [148747] Admin Staff

Nope I wasn't directing my comment at anyone in particular (in fact this entire update in general was not directed at anyone in particular, over the course of the entire committee discussion I do not believe we mentioned a single player directly) , and yes I fully acknowledge that there are still faults in the karma system that will be tricky to deal with such as ones you mention... hence my comment of this only being a good first step in the right direction and how I can see that some content posted in the flower threads was more useful that something posted by MB (either one...), but overall I do still think this was a necessary change for the forums' sake.

We'll see I guess... As has been mentioned by some already it could quite potentially be reversed, although chances of this I see being extremely slim, as it would mean just invalidating the need to remove farmed karma anyway. At that point you may as well just delete it entirely... and if we ever want to do something with it as a system then that isn't really an option.

Honestly I haven't even looked yet at where the remaining karma stats are, I am looking forward to seeing an updated 'hall of fame' for it though created by someone (such as brando, one of the few posts he had that were a fantastic contribution), not for narcissistic reasons though, but purely to see what impact karma farming from those threads was actually having and how many people now are even above 1k... Before today the majority of people on this list I had never even heard of before, I expect this is wildly different now though.
Kingstown [1957679]

Good to see that all the quality postings in Fun & games still can get karma.
What a arbritary nonsense to claim that 2 topics are inferior to the rest of the forum.


bogie [148747] Admin Staff

This is part of the reason why I was more in favour of a weighted system that would affect multiple boards, however initially it was intended to keep it simple as to affect the least number of players whilst still encouraging some players to at least play around in the F&G forums.

Bear in mind too that a 30 character limit still exists on any posts for them to gain karma, and when the majority of replies in the F&G board are just single word responses a good portion of them won't qualify anyway and therefore need no additional system to adjust the score.
bogie [148747] Admin Staff

There's no reason why they can't continue to do a service to players, however if they stop now purely because they do not gain karma for it then it just sums up that it was only done for karma farming...

I was active in questions and GD making replies in either long before karma or forum score existed, if neither of these still did then nothing would stop me as it's just something I enjoy, the karma is merely secondary... nothing stopping the flower runners either from continuing whatever they want to do... but if karma is their primary focus then as mentioned... it sums up what was wrong with those threads.
_Cynic_ [206537]

May I suggest once Styx reaches 999 karma we scrap karma altogether or raise the limit to 2000?

I mean this forum would be dull without his hating and conspiracy theories!

Oh yes and whilst there are so many members of the committee around what is happening to MY GYM!
HandsomePants [1897243]

30 character limit? I honestly had no idea, that does make good sense though. Does that include posts that are just images, with no characters?
dr4gon [1626180]

I agree with the premise that karma farming is a problem but this seems to be hasty and rather directed at a particular section of the community. Imho, the bigger issue is people having their friends just upvote everything they post just to get to the 1k karma mark.

The Travel thread helps out a number of new and old players, tbh, people who don't use it (which I believe would be true for most committee members) might see it as karma farming but I personally consider that thread similar to the number of guides posted on the forum with the only difference being that it has been created by a collaboration of players. I get that the thread ruins the suspense but I doubt people are looking for suspense when they are flower running, the lack of activities that one can do while travelling already makes it pretty un-appealing for most people. I guess that would be worthy of more attention from the committee.

I think rolling back this change does not mean that karma farming is not a problem but accepting it as a more complicated one.. Perhaps a new system is needed where upvotes from the same set of people don't count that much towards karma.. Committee should perhaps take some time to review it and come up with better alternatives..

I don't think picking this alternative because it was one that could be done quickly was the right decision.
PatBenatar [420347]

Keep it up, just proves my point. Had to troll me? Guess you are above the rules set forth by staff. I am a Lady please address me as such. Or guess you need the explanation what sexual harassment is? I have told you I am not a male and don't wish to be addressed as such.

Not that I am expecting to be appointed as a committee member, if hell freezes over and I am chose, I will be making my voice known. I wont kiss anyone's ..... I wont pad my account..... I wont use knowledge to exploit like others in the past have. So here it is if you want someone who will represent the people and not kiss .... Appoint me.

Your application has been submitted and if you have been considered, you will be mailed.
Harley [258120] Wiki Contributor

There is already a limit on upvoting one person to often. You can only upvote someone x amount of times (bogie probably knows the exact amount). But yeah I agree it is a hasty solution but it's a step in the right direction nonetheless. [:tongue:]
bogie [148747] Admin Staff

It's not a per player limit, it's a weird system that we don't fully know the mechanics of...

In some cases it will still let you upvote a player, but if done in too quick a succession it won't add any karma... Eventually it just won't let you upvote. The same applies for downvoting (Although it caps out sooner for this)

There's also a thread limit, the same limiter that prevents you upvoting a single player X amount of times also prevents you from upvoting any number of players in the same thread X amount of times.
lickdapoo [1827223]

Just got a big fu..

lost access to a troll forum i actually liked reading

Thx for that

Ps im not going into the whole discussion y even the flower thread made more sense and added quality to the forums then other retarded threads...
dr4gon [1626180]

Right direction would be removing karma received from fun and games i.e. posts that don't add anything of value to the gameplay.. this imho is akin to calling Travel thread worse than spam and is definitely not something that feels anywhere close to right..

(Can we agree to disagree? ) :P
Harley [258120] Wiki Contributor

yeah sure xD I'm not to bothered to keep discussing about the thing called karma, it's just something that's there for fun!
_Cynic_ [206537]

MADAME Styx, you are nothing more then a hypocrite. You do nothing but bitch about victimization and hatred others show but at the same time you show the same hatred and flaming of others.

And seeing as you demand to be addressed in a particular manner, I expect you to address me in a gender neutral manner when you speak to me or about me.
How you achieve that is not my problem it is yours, And if you do not I will consider it sexual harassment.