Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

how to android app?

Started by chillemall122 [1987723] on in API Development.

16 replies · 271 views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 17 / 17 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
17
Discussion span
→
People posting
9
Likes on archived posts
19
Authority score
68 / 100
Historical score
24 / 100
Story score
36 / 100
Engagement score
61 / 100

Most-liked replies

Xiphias [187717]

A great book on Android development I am just reading is called Android Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide - 2nd Edition. For someone new to coding I feel this book might have some bits and pieces you can use for some Torn app. Chapter 23 has some information on how to fetch JSON from Flickr just like you would need with the Torn API.

This book uses Android Studio which I also recommend over Eclipse, since Android Developer Tools for Eclipse are no longer maintained by Google.
chillemall122 [1987723]

i have very little experience, and yeah i got the program last night, messing around with it today after i look up some things and follow some guides on that website too, thanks a lot Xiphias!!
Tempest [1867527] Wiki Contributor

Goto Udacity and get android beginner and advanced courses(from Google).These resources are freely provided. It will start you up on Android development.(Link)

And use the android studio for development, it is also free.

Use materials from Android developer site (Click here)

Also, read this tutorial

Best of luck in your endeavors
OG_ExaMPles [441123]

Hey. Yeah I did some android dev work in the past and for a school project. Best thing to do is to learn Java first. If you don't understand Java you will not get very far. Android is based on Java so if you learn java you will understand something about android. After getting pretty comfortable with Java start with Udacity Android beginner course as the other guys have said. If you want to pay a little bit of money I would recommend Treehouse. The courses on there are pretty good too. I am gonna start doing android development again during the summer after my university exams. So if you wanna work with me or just talk about android just give me a message.
0day [1993635]

Programming is not something you will learn overnight. I've written my first lines of code when I was 9 years old and I know enough to conclude I'm still a rookie. I started by reverse engineering software out of curiosity and ended up building my own things.

The main advantage of Android Studio is that it has plenty of pre-built activities that allow you to make your app look decent with little of no programming experience. On top of that there are plenty of tutorials and code examples.
If you are pressed for time and need a working prototype, you can copy-paste your way there, but in the end you'll need to learn to write your own software. If you release an app to the public and you do not know what every single line of code is for, you're asking for trouble.

My advice is to start by copying some stuff, editing it to see what it does. After that start from scratch and use what you have learned. Good luck!

PS. Resources you'll learn to love:
chillemall122 [1987723]

Thanks all for the help :) really appreciate this all!!!! i've tried learning java in the past ( to make minecraft mods :P) and it's a tad confusing but will do again, in the middle of making a web game (wont say what or anything just to respect rules)but i might use torns api and make a seperate page just to get used to it more before i actually move to android