Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Nerve

Started by jsinn [1989604] on in Questions & Answers.

16 replies · 214 views · thread synced · 7 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 17 / 17 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
17
Discussion span
→
People posting
9
Likes on archived posts
20
Authority score
59 / 100
Historical score
25 / 100
Story score
37 / 100
Engagement score
60 / 100

Most-liked replies

jsinn [1989604]

2 quick questions about nerve that I don't think I have found an answer in the forums about.

I have seen about increasing nerve with merits or that you can do it naturally. I know with merits its done 1 at a time but if you increase by doing crimes does it go up more then 1 at a time?

And with alcohol beer gives me 1 nerve. I notice there is much more expensive alcohols but do they still only give you 1 nerve for drinking and a 1 hour cool down?
Proxima [1879587] Wiki Editor

Naturally as you gain crime experience you will increase your nerve bar in multiples of 5. Alcohol can be used to increase nerve by either 1, 2 or 4, all with a one hour cooldown. I can't remember which ones are which exactly, but you can make an educated guess based on the price, or there is a booster tutorial in the tutorials and guides sub-forum.
Harley [258120] Wiki Contributor

1) by doing crimes it increases by 5 every time, but it takes a long time for it to 'level' up.

2) they give more nerve but have the same cooldown (as far as I'm aware), more info can be found on the wiki on this page about cooldowns and what they give: http://www.torn.com/wiki/Item_Cooldowns

Hope this helps :)
HandsomePants [1897243]

And as a general rule, if you're not doing anything else with your booster cooldown (ie Cans for energy) then at the bare minimum you should be drinking 24 beers per day to help with crimes. Unless you're very wealthy, the more expensive Nerve boosters just aren't worth it.
Lvcy [1991105]

Increasing your nerve bar with merits does not increase your gained experience. The main advantage of adding to your nerve bar with merits is so that you can fly farther without completely filling your nerve bar.


Increasing your nerve bar by doing crimes is an indicator of how much crime experience you've gained so far. When someone asks for your natural nerve bar (NNB) they are referring to the size of your nerve bar without any merits or faction specials added to it. For example, if your nerve bar is 32 but has +3 from your faction and +4 from merits, then your NNB is actually 25 (32 minus 3 minus 4). The "25" indicates how experienced you are in crimes.


Increasing your nerve bar with crimes always increases it by 5, and so your NNB will always be a multiple of 5 (15,20,25,30...)


For your second question, here is a list of all of the candy (happiness), alcohol (nerve) and energy drinks (energy) and how much you gain from each: https://www.torn.com/wiki/Item_Cooldown


The "higher gain" items have the same cooldown as "lower gain" items but are much more expensive.


Beer is quite cheap, so even if you cannot afford anything else you should keep your cooldown bar full by using beer. Note that all of the items marked "cannot buy" in the list were giveaways in special events (and goodie bags) and can be bought at the bazaar if you have a lot of money.


If you have not yet played the "Torn Lite" facebook app, I suggest you do that and get the free goodie bag with some nice drinks in it. Let me know if you need info on the Torn Lite app.


FitzChevalerie [1946057]

Only worth using the expensive alcohols if you're in a pub imo ( special gives 50% more nerve). Better stick to beers if you work somewhere else. unless you're filthy rich
Claire [1971751]

If you want to increase your nerve bar try earning 55 awards, then spent all of the merits on nerve in use your merits.
jsinn [1989604]

not filthy rich so i do stick to beer lol. I did try sake once because it was a city find but it did the same as beer so I didn't go out and buy any of it.
Kwazzy [1969798]

Reviving post, after looking at the wiki and a little extra research on Google, this is the common consensus. I have 20 NNB and have committed 1600 robberies + 300 Illegal activities.

Can "long time" be defined more specifically? I feel like I should have a higher NNB, but "long time" in Torn could be a year :P

Thanks in advance everyone! :)
HandsomePants [1897243]

I noticed you were jailed this month, presumably for failing a crime. Keep doing that and "long time" will be "indefinitely". Stick to crimes that you won't be jailed for. Jackets, Stealth Virus, Warehouse Arson. Thorough Robbery used to be on that list but I've seen alot of players reporting otherwise lately. Much more info on the Tutorials and Guides forum.
Lvcy [1991105]

getting jailed for failing a crime puts you back a percentage of your total CE. so failing a crime can put you back by the same amount as multiple successes moved you forward. I agree with HandsomePants, do not go to jail for crimes.

the only exception (a reason why you'd risk jail time) is if you are determined to get your drug crimes merits. but realize then that you will be slowing down or even setting back the growth of your nerve bar.