Bump
Oops, pressed thumbs down **implemented!**
Started by Ruby [1260826] on in Suggestions.
Posts archived: 133 / 133 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Bump
Bump
Bump
Boop
Bam
Bump
Yeah.. This one happened to me too.. Mostly on thumbs down...
And on the other hand, I was thinking... Would a confirmation before someone is rating a thread up or down be a good thing? At least if you somewhat fail the confirmation, it will not proceed with rate ups or downs?
Nevertheless R+
I don't think a confirmation is needed. I know I'd bother to rate less if that was the case. We should be simply able to change our rating, just like on Reddit, YouTube, Facebook etc. There's no point of ratings to be locked in once selected.
Bump
Rate +
It is annoying problem. It should be fixed (now I don`t read forums, when I use mobile).
Bump
I admit, I've accidentally down-rated people before, and at first glance this seounds like a great idea. Then the reality of these forums sets in. The fact is, what little integrity that may have once been present in these forums nearly died with MattyB quitting the forum modding gig. Then, karma replaced forum score and karma-whoring was born, people trying to get friends involved in off-site groups to have their little pissing contests.
It was, in fact, this phenomenon, that prompted me to mail the person I had accidentally downrated, in the hopes that they wouldn't immediately decide to click on my post count in order to begin downrating things in retaliation. What does that mean in relation to this suggestion?
It means the potential for abuse is just too great. There is just too much drama and petty bickering in this forum to expect or even to justify a faint hope that miraculously this would be used responsibly. No, I fear that this would simply devolve into a tool by which karma-whores would try to wreck their former allies' karma after a falling-out. Indeed, this suggestion, if implemented would very likely only serve to increase reports of player harrassment, and place another unnecessary burden on an already overworked and underappreciated Torn staff.
Its never too late to take responsibility for your own actions and moments carelessness and begin accepting the consequences of the same and moving forward.
Not clicking the wrong spot is a good habit to get into on the Internet. Maybe not on this site, but a good many sites, you click on the wrong link, accident or not, and you could end up with unwanted malware. It is for these reasons that I am unable to back this suggestion, much as I wish I could.
Rated -.
I don't see it as such. Fact is, there's caps in place for how much you can affect one person's karma. Even if you were to change ratings out of spite or spam rate, it wouldn't affect karma too much. Catering to karma wars isn't something staff should concern itself with and precedence suggests that artificially impacting karma is responded to differently based on what merits the subject has. Assuming a player were to change all their votes either up or down to game the system would result in the karma limits to kick in and the rating caps to do the same.
I'm not saying that those limits shouldn't be monitored, they definitely should and should be changed if the need arises, but I don't think it's such a large concern that it would dictate a functionality change. I'm glad this was brought up nonetheless...I don't think people normally consider unintended consequences.
as for the responsibility for your clicks, wouldn't it be better to have an undo button for malware and spyware than to accept them as they are? I don't think that relates to this.
Ah, poor Ceb. Taking responsibility for your own actions relates to everything yo do at all times, no matter what. If there was an undo button for every malware and computer virus, a lot of good anti-malware programs would be no longer needed and their programmers could retire. Sadly, the real world doesn't work that way. Neither should Torn, if for no other reason than to acknowledge that player convenience is not, and perhaps should not be the main concern,
Will implementing this suggestion reduce server lag or burden? I doubt it very much.
Will this suggestion increase server lag? Possibly.
How?
You bring up a good point. There are limits to how much a single player account can alter another's karma per day. Care to fancy the most likely solution available to the most die-hard forum warrior?
Multis, of course! The business controls in place to combat them focus on them transferring game money and items. For this cause, however, I'd venture to guess that the creation and use of multis would not only bog down the servers if done for this purpose, The limits are meaningless in the face of the ever-present and unstoppable force of the elusive multiscammerrestart arny that lurks in the shadows, keeping Torn's new accounts number continually rising, while the average playing per day remains roughly the same.
Yep, multi's on Torn are still a thing, and I can't imagine why some sad bastard or bastards wouldn't create them to bump their forum scores and wage the forum wars, only to learn that those rumours about extra stat gains per 1000 karma and other lies propegated by the trolls on this site were in fact false, and that all you really get in actuality is access to the VIP forum where you can whine in favour of, or against MarlonBrando (Zurichtorn) and other pointless drivel.
This brings me to the point I made which you did not address, so I presume it stands:
The existance of karma at all is a blight of the forums. This suggestion, perhaps more than anything called out to me in the way a young person who is driving an old mid-to-late 1970's full size sedan, I'm thinking those huge models of inefficiency like the old Mercury Grand Marquis, coming up to me and saying, "I'll need to change this car's sparkplugs, as I use far too much petrol just driving to work and to a few shops every week."
No, lad, you need a car with an engne not designed for a tank or the sense to know that for you public transportation would be the better option in the end until you can afford one. Changing the sparkplugs won't make much difference.
Want to prevent karma misclicks? Get rid of karma altogether. Two birds. One stone. Sorted.
Sure beats multi forumwars hell.
Dear Fujiko.
Thank you so much for your posts, I appreciate your feedback even though find it utterly silly. Malware and taking responsibility of one's actions is irrelevant to the game providing you with a more logical function that follows the internet's habits. I am available to change my rating on every single website I've been on. Why not Torn? Do you know how easy it is to misclick while scrolling on a phone? The fact that the buttons are right where my tiny thumb scrolls should not be something I should be punished for, since it's an error of the website.
I am not supposed to take responsibility nor care one bit about the "misuse" of the forums that you consider will occur. I'm sure the servers can perfectly handle 2-3 extra multis at a time, considering the amount of people that sign up every day to never log back in. Therefor, your points on lag induced are flawed. I personally find karma wars pointless and childish, so the convenience of the 99% sane players with short thumbs of the game is much greater than any issues the 1% of those careless players would cause by misusing the ability to change a post rate.
It's a good thing that this suggestion has 180 thumbs up already (near the double that is required for a suggestion to be considered desired) and has already been replied on by ched himself saying this will be implemented. I do admire your passion though.
P.S. I am currently writing this on my iPhone, with my short thumbs, because I like snuggling in my bed for a little longer in the morning. I also might or might have not accidentally pressed thumbs down on your previous post.
Oops.
Great idea. Glad to see it confirmed.
Accidental downvotes suck. You try to help a friend, missclick and spend the remaining night apologising. R+
This got me right here:
It's a good thing that this suggestion has 180 thumbs up already (near the double that is required for a suggestion to be considered desired) and has already been replied on by ched himself saying this will be implemented.
(Okay.. sure. So are you bumping it to whore karma or something? Think that will get it implemented faster? Trust me, it won't.)
but this took the cake:
I personally find karma wars pointless and childish
(Then, you attempt to antagonise me in that fashion. I see your point.)
However, the point that you can not and will not address is that karma itself is pointless, and should be done away with entirely. I play Torn because its *not* Facebook. Having a rating system at all just breeds drama.
Its so easily manipulated that it fails to serve as a guage of anything other than the poster's populatiry.
Is that really what you want this site to be?
The only reason I'm bumping is so that more people won't come here to whine and suggest the same thing. This happened right after I reached 120'ish. I hadn't bumped for a month and 2 threads were created regarding down rates. Then, there are so many more suggestions still being bumped after 100 Karma, so why shouldn't mine?
While I do believe that karma wars are pointless, as in, the total number of "Karma" I have is pointless and worthless, I do not believe that Karma itself is pointless. I think it's really important for threads to be uprated or downrated, in terms of content and not so much the poster. You play Torn because it's not Facebook, I do both at the same time. There is no "Karma" on my fb profile to say how many total likes I have and I don't whore fb likes just like I don't whore Karma. But I do uprate or downrate posts when I want just like I do "Like" fb posts that I like, or Thumbs Up youtube videos that I like. And that's perfectly fine. I don't understand your problem >_<
If you're saying that rating a post based on content is pointless, then you are wrong.
Bump
Bump