Hey, was just wondering: is Torn hiring / requesting developer volunteers at all?
Develop Job Openings
Started by DonRocco [240008] on in Questions & Answers.
About this thread
Posts archived: 14 / 14 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
- Archived posts
- 14
- Discussion span
- →
- People posting
- 7
- Likes on archived posts
- 10
- Posts by staff, officers and moderators
- 2
- Authority score
- 66 / 100
- Historical score
- 33 / 100
- Story score
- 34 / 100
- Engagement score
- 57 / 100
Most-liked replies
Hey, was just wondering: is Torn hiring / requesting developer volunteers at all?
I'd personally say the best way to get to that kind of Information regarding the developer position, is to message staff directly, or to go through all the hierarchy of staffing positions to get to that point. After all, they wouldn't let any Tom, dick and Harry just become a developer. Not without an large portfolio relating to the abilities required to the job and such.
If they are seeking people to take on such roles, I doubt it would be overly advertised in the forums either. It would be via the appropriate professional channels.
Yeah, I couldn't find any sort of career thing, so I figured I'd ask here. I do web dev for a living, so I was just wondering if they're looking for help and what their requirements would be in order to be of any use.
Drop a message to chedburn, I would say and wait for a response. That's probably one of the better ways to do it. But I'm sure he gets tens of mails regarding a similar topic.
You can contact Ched personally in his personal website, Contacting him from here wont do any progress I think.
www.chedburn.net
Cool, I'll give it a shot on here and on his site.
Would have thought it'd be advertised more clearly if he were looking to be honest.
They just got two new developers, not even a month ago: https://www.torn.com/forums.php?p=threads&f=65&t=15973100&b=0&a=0.
While this doesn't mean anything definitive, it leads me to believe they wouldn't be looking for more devs currently.
Move to Ukraine first
Lol, that's probably legit. No way would Chedburn pay me what I get paid currently :P
Was this thread just a humblebrag for you, OP?
Nah, I would volunteer some development time if they wanted it, but I'm assuming that they would want people on contract, which is something I can't do.
I can imagine that Ched would want development to be done entirely under contract - you're taking the first steps down a very slippery slope when you start accepting volunteer dev work for an ongoing enterprise which is not NFP (for a number of reasons).
Yeah, I didn't realize he had his own development company when I posted. It makes sense to me, more or less, that accepting volunteer work would be difficult without some contracts in place.