Hiya Everyone,
Working on a project for Torn and although it is still early days, I would like to find more information about the 100 individual requests per minute. The answer is probably straight forward, however I best be sure!
Automatic limits & blocks
Each user key can make up to 100 individual requests per minute, this should be more than enough for almost anything to be achievable. Multiple requests using invalid keys may result in a temporary IP ban - you must account for this by removing disabled or invalid keys upon error.
Does this mean I could have 1,000 users on my website who have added their API Key, I could make up to 10,000 requests per minute, ie; for a daily update of users information?
Also, is there a max usage for obtaining Torns data, ie; if I wanted to have an item database of all Torn items, how fast could I update the item market price on my server?
Best Regards,
Tim
The only limitation is the amount of requests per key per minute. Each key gets 100 requests a minute. If you had 1k keys, you could make 10k requests a minute (please don't...RIP Torn).
Granted, all of this is at the admin's discretion. They could remove your access at any point and ban your key if they deem you abusing it or doing something fishy (or if you're using those keys to cause havoc on Torn's servers...)
Bottom line: Be responsible.
I'm still waiting on my honor bar for crashing Torn when I released Torn Tools... RIP Torn.
Thank you, very useful. I do plan to submit my work to the Torn staff as I spoke to Mr Chedburn a while back now and he seemed interested.
1,000 users with 10,000 requests was just a theoretical question. If this would crash Torn, I would space them out over an hour or so during a time when Torn has least active members.
Thank you for your help!
I do not monitor or manage my API programs - Once I release them they're just out in the wild wherever the end up, and I have no further control at that point. But to make things manageable for Torn, if needed, my programs also include a user-agent in the web request made to the API so that - if Torn tracks this - I can easily work with them to identify any issues or abuse. You might consider ensuring a user-agent is passed with your requests as well so that if something happens you can be as helpful as possible, and I'm sure staff would be appreciative of that.