I'm learning usage rules for Hiragana characters at the moment. The character (-tsu) appears next to certain words as a silent-stop. For example, it's included in the word 'ra-ppa' (trumpet). Is it more accurate to pronounce it as (rah-tsu-pah) or (rah-pah)? Can someone inform me as to why (-tsu) has to be included in certain words in this way as well?
Learning Japanese
Started by SongFaye [1992891] on in Travel & Culture.
About this thread
Posts archived: 5 / 5 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
- Archived posts
- 5
- Discussion span
- →
- People posting
- 4
- Likes on archived posts
- 1
- Authority score
- 6 / 100
- Historical score
- 16 / 100
- Story score
- 26 / 100
- Engagement score
- 43 / 100
I'm learning usage rules for Hiragana characters at the moment. The character (-tsu) appears next to certain words as a silent-stop. For example, it's included in the word 'ra-ppa' (trumpet). Is it more accurate to pronounce it as (rah-tsu-pah) or (rah-pah)? Can someone inform me as to why (-tsu) has to be included in certain words in this way as well?
I actually didn't know o.O
I guess I'm a bit far behind in learning.
There are two (tsu) in Japanese writing systems, a normal (tsu) and small (tsu).
The small (tsu) is used as "double consonant" for later letter.
For example:
kattaa, means cutter.
But for "double n" and "double m" in some words, it uses the last letter "n".
For example:
hammaa, means hammer.
rannaa, means runner.
It is too bad we can't post Japanese letter.
Keep at it Kaizake. =) How long have you been studying Japanese?
Thanks for the reply EL21! Your explanation helped out a lot!
For clarity, (tsu) would appear in 'e-n-pi-tsu' normally, and in words like 'ki-ppu' as a small character to reiterate the consonant. (I wish that we could post the characters, too. The sounds can get confusing writing them out in English.)
The word is pronounced as it's spelled. That's a relief. ><
.