Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Malware

Started by WIT_KAT [1641178] on in Technology.

28 replies · 246 views · thread synced · 6 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 29 / 29 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
29
Discussion span
→
Authority score
24 / 100
Historical score
19 / 100
Story score
41 / 100
Engagement score
66 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

WIT_KAT [1641178]

I have somehow gotten some sort of malware on my computer... I keep getting ads popping up...

I have CCleaner and Norton 360 but these apparently are not doing the job... I also have adblock... but still the ads... I try to delete them using adblock but it also delete part of Torn... For example on my sideBar Accounts has ads when I mouse over it but when I ask adblock to delete it it deletes the whole word Account and not just the ad...

Keeping in mind that I am not very PC savvy could someone recommend a good malware killer I can down load that is user friendly and won't mess up my PC more than it is?

It is a new computer... I got it in March... Also my husband won't let me use another virus protector besides Norton 360...

Thanks
Empathy [1282579]

- Try Malwarebytes - https://www.malwarebytes.com/antimalware/
- Try Adware Cleaner - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

I've had something like this before, adware, one of the above should work.

Edit: Fixed hyperlinks

Edit 2: Run a scan on either program and they should detect it. On Adware Cleaner you have to manually click "Clean" I believe after the scan.

If these "popup" ads for some reason are appearing over download buttons, because you shall not pass, I guess you will have to navigate using the Tab key and Enter when it selects the Download link.
WIT_KAT [1641178]

So far adware cleaner seems to have worked... Thanks... Not sure how I got infected... As I told themainman perhaps from something in Facebook... Torn and Facebook are the main sights I go to... So I may have clicked an infected link on Facebook..

Anyway thanks for the advice guys...
dunmugmeh [538353]

Facebook is pretty famous for viruses. Dont click on any of the crappy links that appear. With adblock set up properly it will kill most of the garbage before it can even appear. Spybot Search and Destroy by safer networking has always been good to me and my anti virus is avast.

I have had this laptop for 10 years and never had any virus problems.
oraN [1778676]

laptop 10 years....??? what?? seriously you got it in 2006 and it still works i'm surprised cause i am sitting here with my macbook pro 2013, Dell XPS 13 and macbook air 2015 waiting to replace them all in one shot....

Facebook will show you ads even if there's a active adblocker and having adblock on isn't a good idea "it hurts developers"

''Prevention is better than cure'' what i suggest is being extremely careful while opening something you downloaded from the internet that way you dont have to buy anything to secure our device

since you already got malware use https://malwarebytes.com/ to clean your device

This needs to be moved to TECHNOLOGY i believe
dunmugmeh [538353]

Yes i have had this laptop since 2006 and it has been in use for 4+ hours every single day. I have never been troubled by viruses.
MegaChintz [1770536]

A 10 year old PC can only imagine will be running an older OS. If its XP then half the trouble is as a dead technology its no longer secured from malware, no matter what AV is installed and that's what these pop-ups take advantage of, usually via a vulnerable browser.

3rd party browsers are also dropping support for install on older OS for the same reason.

Vista is going end of life in April, so still consider replacing if that's in use.

10 years is excellent value based on what you likely paid for it, but now it's time to send it off to Silicon heaven...
Mudbottom [1879891] Wiki Contributor

Omgosh, Facebook is heinous!!!!! I stay off there completely except to look where a few of my fav bands are playing local.

But I had a tech friend install a Linux operating system and I absolutely love how much rubbish it is immune to.

#idontdowindows
dunmugmeh [538353]

i use facebook a lot. my 2nd game which i play is a facebook game and i have been playing it for years and i have never got a virus from it.

being smart and careful means you get no viruses.

clicking on random links which facebook spams you is no good.