Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Android App (TORN Feed)

Started by konaras [2005347] on in General Discussion.

69 replies · 1.12k views · thread synced · 9 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 70 / 70 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

konaras [2005347]

I see. Set timer design model then fliies out the window. Meaning we gonna have to use the same server check frequency as for other notifications. Thanks.
Ceb [68232] Committee Committee

Racing too

Bank and edu can be shortened with items or company specials, racing can crash but idk how it affects the timer, only the drug CD can't be modifiedcurrently but I would play it defensively and go ahead and assume one day it might since everything else does and it'd be rude to stiff it just because its a little different.
HandsomePants [1897243]

So I just was investigating this, and found that

https://api.torn.com/user/?selections=icons&key=KEYYYYY

... gives info when racing like: "icon17": "Racing - Currently racing - 00:47:04","

... and it counts down and seems pretty close to being when I'm actually going to finish this race. Then I noticed it's also there when I hover over the icon itself. Has it always been like this? Could two people racing each other compare icons and figure out who'll win as soon as a race starts?

In terms of this app, that countdown could be put into an efficient-play-type notification, yeah. But races always end in events too, whether you finish or crash.
Ceb [68232] Committee Committee

good thought....interesting question.

as for your comment about racing resulting in events, while the department of redundancy department appreciates your points on racing redundancy, it's the timer and not the event of it ending that I'd like to be aware of if I'm looking at quickly at everything on hand, i also get alerted when I take a drug so, it's just an inconsequential result of having the information available, and if it can be on/off like any other timer/bar, then it's really not redundant or invasive, just gives me a timer I'd like to be aware of


@konaras
As far as more suggestions for the app goes...
it'd be nice for an option in Bells and Whistles to only alert once instead of with every check. So if I have 1 new event, it alerts me with Bells and Whistles, then does not until something new happens.
konaras [2005347]
Ceb, thanks for the comment. We already have a number of users pointing out the same thing that sound is played each time regardless of notification already present. The main cause for this is that we have, initially, chosen to support old versions of android down to the Jelly Bean Android 4.1. In a while we found out that some framework features are not available on those old versions and this requires some hackish workarounds in order to be implemented. Nevertheless, this is yet another item on our todo list.


Swatsicle [1593313]

4.1 is ancient. Supporting 4.4 (kitkat) and up seems more viable - although with phones updating to 7.0 now, it wouldn't be so weird to only accept 5.0.1 and up.
bogie [148747] Admin Staff

I just tried this application and it crashes constantly, is this normal or related to the issues Torn itself has been having.

Either way it's completely unusable and does absolutely nothing as advertised for me. Using an S7 Edge so not exactly lacking the ability to run the application, it's the first and only application I've had crash on my phone since getting it and it basically crashes 80% of the time upon use, then the remaining 19% doesn't actually update with API information anyway.... then almost always crashes once refreshing.
HandsomePants [1897243]

It's been working for me on my S6 for a while, up to and including today. I'm part of the Beta program for it in the Play Store, and on v1.9.1 ... which looks like it added compatibility for Android 7 Nougat, which you'd be running on an S7. What version of Torn Feed are you on? Can you join the Beta from the Play Store or does the dev need to add you specifically? Maybe they just need to release v1.9.1 out of Beta...?

If that's not it, maybe something special about your account? Perhaps dev didn't account for unique properties or players with 0% stealth :P
bogie [148747] Admin Staff

Am on 1.9.1 here also


It's started working now, I'm guessing was due to the 502 errors lately and the application just not handling that well.

However now that it is working I've noticed that it keeps saying my nerve is full every 5 minutes when it's not! That's a little annoying

Hopefully Torn's official app when released can replace this xP