Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

API request: `receivedevents`

Started by Mauk [1494436] on in API Development.

16 replies · 155 views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 17 / 17 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
17
Discussion span
→
People posting
6
Likes on archived posts
3
Authority score
67 / 100
Historical score
22 / 100
Story score
31 / 100
Engagement score
55 / 100
McNeo [864688]

You can't try to correlate a url to an API selection. A players "received events" would be the same as the API's "notifications" unless I'm completed misreading your intention.
Mauk [1494436]

I don't care what endpoint or selection it ends up in. I'm interested in the data known as "received events." We could have a "receivedevents" field in the "notifications" selection as part of it, sure. I'm interested in the actual received events, though.

If they end up as a "receivedevents" selection for the data and a "receivedevents" field under "notifications" for the count, it's fine. If the developers think it's best to merge them to the regular events and just add a "type" field to the event, that's also fine.

PS. I never correlated anything.
McNeo [864688]

That's what I'm saying though... The url you're looking at saying "received events" is the exact same thing that shows up in the notifications API call. There's no additional selection needed because it's the same thing.
McNeo [864688]

That's what I've been using and it displays the events such as using drugs, being selected for OC, getting attacked, etc, etc. As stated it doesn't seem to be reporting the correct data when I try it on the API try it page so maybe something is derped at the moment, but that's the call I was using in my old program and it's still working as expected as of about an hour ago.
Mauk [1494436]

That's not what received events are.

I have been using the `events` selection for those things since.. Well, forever. You got me kinda puzzled, as I know for a fact you're familiar with DoctorN and its usage of that endpoint.
McNeo [864688]

My bad, I now see my error. You're looking for received events (as the title clearly states) - i.e. events that other users have sent to you. I totally misread your intention as stated earlier when I said "unless I'm totally misreading"... lol. My bad, sorry. Yeah, as I look now, I don't see a way to get received events through the API.

Point of thought, I've never actually received an event in this fashion myself so I can't really support this idea, but do they show as a notification for the user and could you use that somehow? Just a thought - if not, then yeah, sounds like a feature request to me.
Mauk [1494436]

I would still need access to the received events data in a similar manner to the regular events, not just a notification.

While it's not a very popular feature, it would open up a lot of interesting use-cases. The main purpose would be to verify the validity of third-party claims, as events can't be faked and are guaranteed to be generated by Torn itself.

For example, being able to validate other users' allegations in this way would allow us to create safer lotto bots: instead of receiving copy-pasted events (which is prone to adulteration), bot maintainers could be sent the actual events, guaranteeing they actually happened.
McNeo [864688]

That and, my initial thought was, faction leaders verifying that a player actually OD'd during a time of war, for factions that track that sort of thing.