Can anyone recommend a website/page which lists which Graphics cards are compatible with Macbooks?
I have been in the nvidia site just now and it is not a particularly straightforward site. I certainly cant find answers to questions I have. The specs they list don't even seem to include the onboard RAM any of the cards have ffs.
Or maybe someone can answer this question. Is it ever possible for a graphics card from a PC laptop to be taken out and put into a MacBook?
*EDIT* So I have read that Mac require PCI-Express cards while PCs can use PCI. But does this mean that any PCI-E card will be compatible with a Mac.
I live in the UK. If anyone can recommend any decent sites that sell Macs and Mac components that would also be useful. I have been finding that any search for such a site tends to turn up review or problem solving or general mac interest pages. Not sites that just sell stuff.
*EDIT* Actually I have just found this page. But surely this cannot mean that there are only 2 graphics cards compatible with a MacPro made from Mid 2010 to mid 2012 - those being are either ATI Radeon HD 5770 or 5870? Or the only Nvidia card compatible with a MacPro from Mid 2009 is the GeForce GT 120?I am thoroughly confused.
Well..I know I'll be shot down but..It's kinda unusual to want to change your lappy gpu, is it fooked?
Also, a lot of them are just soldered to the board, so replacing it would be tricky to say the least.
If you're looked to go multiple monitors ans your current gpu isn't working, an external card might be an option.
I thought you had to replace the whole logic board to upgrade the graphics in macs as they solder the GFX to the logic board?....this would mean buying one (/edit* a logic board) from a more recent mac in order to upgrade....and they aren't cheap. Better off buying a new laptop imo
(this is all from memory, maybe google will help more)
.
The GPU isn;t fooked, it's just good enough anymore. In partic it only has 256MB of on board memory. And while I know macs are not the best games machines, the aim is to improve it's ability to play better games than it can play now. These games are requesting GPU with on board memory of at least 2GB.
I had heard that upgrading laptops isn't the same as desktops so have been kind of expecting to get a professional to replace the card, if I can find one that is both a suitable upgrade and compatible.
So, while I can't afford to splash out on a new lappy, I can probably stretch to £200-£250 for a better graphics card (which wont be amazing, but it will be better).
I am feeling less and less confident about the possibility of doing this now though but haven't given up hope entirely.
I have at last found details of some Mac repair centres who can hopefully clarify the situation regarding upgrading MacBooks.
.
If you are right it would certainly explain the difficulty I am having in finding upgradable components.
Oh man. You are right but it is even worse.
With very few exceptions it appears that yes, you do have to replace the whole logic board but you can only replace it with the same kind of logic board. The internal shape of each macbook changes with each new model so logic boards from one model wont fit into the housing of a different model.
Pretty much hard drives and RAM are the only possible upgrades.
PC laptops have similar restrictions but not as heavily designed in as Macs.
For years, although I have always owned a PC, I have been told and believed in the superiority of Macs for creative purposes - making music, films, art etc.
Well I don't care, I won't be buying anything Apple again. I really don't like this sort of built-in 'enforced full item purchase' when improvements are sought in computing power or abilities.
I have been pretty shocked and disappointed to find this out.
All i can remember is (i have a 13" MBP 2010) that the 15" had more options than the 13" but required modification!
You are better off saving for a desktop tho, unless portable gaming is important.
/edit btw in the latest macbooks they solder the RAM and SSD to the board...SO IT'S UN-UPGRADABLE NOW LOL!
Wow. And I emphatically mean that.
So not even RAM or harddrives anymore.
I am staggered. Starting to hate a company that I somehow had a lot of respect for even though I've never been a customer (except for this refurb macbook I bought for my son that started this whole sour discovery off).
Like I say. Wow.
That is not what Apple wants you to do. Nor are laptops in general designed to be upgraded, they are cheaper than PCs because of the one-time soldered spec'd.
That Ati 5770 and GT120 are so old, not worth it. You may as well upgrade to a new laptop or buy a PC. I'm sure Macbooks still sell for overpriced amounts. Then buy yourself a much better spec'd Windows machine.
Anything that has an Apple logo is not made to be upgraded.
In the same price you can get a decent or above average PC.