Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Riddle

Started by MaryPoppins2 [2042335] on in Fun & Games.

4 replies · 24 views · thread synced · 11 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 5 / 5 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
5
Discussion span
→
People posting
3
Likes on archived posts
0
Authority score
16 / 100
Historical score
12 / 100
Story score
29 / 100
Engagement score
34 / 100
MaryPoppins2 [2042335]


Hi,

This is a riddle. There is no price for the correct answer. Its just for fun.

Five children were playing kickball. One of the five broke a window. When questioned about the incident, each child made three statements of which two were true and one was false. The statements are given below.

Joe:
1. I didnt do it.
2. Sally will tell who did it.
3. One of us is in big trouble.

Matt:
1. Joyce did it.
2. I didnt do it.
3. I dont even like to play kickball.

Vince:
1. I didnt do it.
2. Joyce and I are good friends.
3. Sally doesnt know who did it.

Joyce:
1. Matt lied when he said I broke the window.
2. I never saw Vince before today.
3. I never broke a window in my life.

Sally:
1. I saw Joyce break it.
2. I didnt break the window.
3. I want to go home.

Who broke the window?

Vladar [1996140]

I think Vince did it.



If Joe did it, then "I didn't do it" would be false, then "Sally will tell us" would be true, but Sally says Joyce broke it, so both can't be true.

If Sally did it, "I didn't break the window" would be false, which means "I saw Joyce break it" would be true, so again, both can't be true.

If Matt did it, "I didn't do it" would be false, which means "Joyce did it" would have to be true, and again, both can't be true.

If Joyce did it, "I never broke a window" would be false, so "Matt lied" would have to be true (which would mean she didn't do it), so that can't be.

By elimination, it has to be Vince.


Asator [1577937]

That elimination doesn't work. She may be lying about having never broken a window in her life, but still not have broken THIS window. Meaning it could still be true that Matt lied. This still leaves Joyce and Vince.

However, we know Joe didn't do it and we know someone is in trouble, that means it's not true that Sally will tell us who did it.

Therefore it must be untrue that Joyce did it.

Now we can say by elimination that it was Vince.