Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Which browser do you use?

Started by marsh [926861] on in Technology.

27 replies · 264 views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 28 / 28 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
28
Discussion span
→
Authority score
10 / 100
Historical score
20 / 100
Story score
41 / 100
Engagement score
64 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

marsh [926861]

I'm asking because I used Firefox for years, but switched to Chrome a couple of years ago. the reason for the change being that Chrome seemed less resource hungry.

I am no longer convinced that this is the case, as any time I open Task Manager, there are multiple incidences of Chrome running (yes, I do know why).

As I am old, and as such, a creature of habit, I was wondering if it was time to try Firefox again, or indeed, something new.

All input gratefully received .
microlost [2040671]

I use a heavily modded version of firefox (addons, themes, about:config edits) As well as netscape, firebird and a few other chromium based browsers (not chrome though)
hartanto [1740814]

used to be firefox, but moved to chrome coz ff is very slow.

now upgraded my ff to 52, gonna try it and i hope with project electrolysis it could be more responsive as promised.
Melted [1874310]

I'm one of those who has many tabs open at any given time and I only restart my computer after Windows updates - Chrome handles this fine and rarely has to be closed and restarted but Firefox needs a restart after 24 hours as it becomes laggy and unresponsive.
JQXZ [1868518]

My favourite browser is a new Chromium based browser called Vivaldi. It used to be Opera, but when Opera 15 came out I stopped using it. Vivaldi was set up by ex-Opera people, and is very customisable and they are interested in what their users think. I also use Firefox and IE from time to time.
AwakeNoWokeFail [79965]

I've been using FF for years, I won't stop at this time. The only add-on I use is AdBlock and I visit sites (not porn, just sports and tv streaming sites) and I only get those tiny little squares with an x in them. Don't click them.

pcedit: Don't click them, live with them.
microlost [2040671]

I tried Edge once, I immediately got an alert from ccleaner telling me I could save half a gig of hdd space, most ofit was edge temporary files that it never gets rid of. I switched back to FF ASAP
microlost [2040671]

I have experienced this too, but on my oldish machine, chrome needed to be restarted after an hour or two of 1-2 tabs, firefox lasts about 24 hours with similar tab amounts.
MadHatter [486416]

Firefox, Chrome, and Tor -- different uses for each, but Firefox is my primary browser. Chrome may be faster, but it is a resource hog. Firefox may be a bit slower, but it is much more lightweight AND offers better customization/security. I don't trust Google at all (I don't even use it as a search engine), and I don't like the idea of using a Google browser.
Sharlenwar [1959556]

Haha, well Edge is ahead of it's time. As it is a new product from Microsoft, it's going to take a while for people to use it. Not to mention, I remember it breaking certain websites and what not due to formatting issues.

But what do I know.

As far as browser, I use Chrome as it seems to operate better than FF, IE, or Edge. This could be due to computer settings, maybe due to a crappy computer.
MadHatter [486416]

I had used it to occasionally check some deepweb market places (mostly just curious, never bought anything). Before I had a reliable VPN service, I used it to keep a lot of my extra email/web accounts logged on separate IPs. I doubt I really needed to use it, since I don't really do anything illegal online (besides torrenting, which Tor wouldn't help with), but it let me keep troll accounts on various sites separate. It's an effective (and free) way around IP bans. I haven't used it in a long time, since I decided I'd try being less of a dick online, but I kept it around in case I wanted to buy drogas from the deepweb at some point.

It's basically just a free proxy browser.