I play torn quite often at this point in time. I'm low level and I find that after I have used my energy and nerve I catch myself just staring at my screen like what can I do.
I'm trying not to do trading bc I'm not wanting to become a trader or fighter. I'm trying to become a crime lord and go the computer science route.
Any advice would be nice.
Join a faction with nice folks in it who can help guide you along the way. It's a social game, the more people you have in your network the more you can enjoy the game. =) Good luck!
If you want to go the crime focus route then max your booster cooldown and drink beers every day. You can sometimes find them in bits and bobs but not too expensive on the item market. Your're already in a pub just do the right crimes so you don't get jailed much. :)
As for computer science route, the edu is not too helpful. And viruses, hacking, etc. is pretty pointless in this game. Yeah sounds cool I thought so too when I started but just did the 100 viruses coded and left it at that.
Get to level 15 so you can travel and make some money. You don't have to be an active trader, just sell your plushies/flowers to a trustworthy buyer when you have amassed decent quantities of them.
During my first few weeks here I spent a lot of my on-line time reading forum threads, particularly those in the Tutorials/Guides subforum. I basically went through every single guide that had a rating of 20+ upvotes.
Unless you get into chatting, serious trading, and/or becoming a forum regular, this is a game that you play for a few minutes at a time, then come back a few hours later. It's not the right game for players craving non-stop activity and action.
Torn is a marathon, not a sprint. You need not rush out of the gate blazing. Personally, I'm rushing to level 15. I know I will be vastly weaker than I should be, but at that same threshold level 15 unlocks travel [and therefore selling items for profit] at a leisurely pace, and allows me to earn more money and save up for some intense training regime plan I have. Merits on nerve help a lot for traveling around since that means fewer wasted nerve generation cycles and allows me to get to a 35+ nerve bar a whole lot faster [allows me to move to kidnap mayor] which will be a good cash source when I get more crime experience.
As my stats are too weak, I should not trade with those I can not trust to do ethical trading. If I get a good city find however, I might take that risk if the trader in question gives me a good enough price over those I know have a respectable reputation. [Though let's be honest odds are it won't be].
The game gets much better at 15, odds are I will hold at 15 for quite some time since, after all I do not want to be a leveling target. I do plan on holding again after I level up from 15, but that is so my stats will be underestimated as my play style plan will make me a good deal weaker than those in my age group, until I establish significant wealth base and cash generation along with unlocking the SSL.
At the minimum, get to level 15 first. At least at that level, you can travel. So even if you're not flying around for flowers/plushies, you'll still be able to go to rehab.
If you're not really into fighting, then join a quiet faction.
If you are all out of E and nerve, all you can do really is wait for regen. Of course, you could also use that time to travel; and the more money you have, the more E/nerve you'll be able to spend by using consumnables.
You'll come to find out that regardless of your play-style, you'll most likely still have some need/want for all the aspects that torn offers...
If you're focusing on crimes, though I would start doing the Psychology and Law courses... Also, once your work stats get high enough, make sure to finish the City Law career
Most importantly, remember this is a never-ending marathon... Everything takes time and nothing comes quickly.
Make sure to read all the forums and tutorials in your downtime... that will help a lot also.
Faction life is best if you want to spend more time on torn and enjoy the game. Everyone here plays differently and faction life introduces you to many avenues
I would suggest the following:
- Don't join a faction yet, because it can be quite annoying with low stats (alot of hosps)
- Get to level 15 a.s.a.p. so you can travel
- Go flower/plushie running and sell them (bazaar or trade with someone)
- Buy xanax from South Africa or from other players (only if really needed), armor and stuff will come later or when you join a faction you might be able to borrow armor.
- Train with xanax and lollipop's (or other candy). You can't start early enough with xanax els you might regret it later.
- If you find that you have alot of money, or atleast for low level >500k use the bookies (casino) to store but mind you, don't forget to change it before the betting closes.
- When you have some cash reserve you might be able to rent a PI for extra gymgains (or you have to marry someone with a PI lol :))
- If you really want fast cash you can attack high people that pay for it, mind you however it's bad for your stats (I semi-regret doing it lol)
Education general studies is a good one to start I think, and then sport science and Biology (or reverse those two).
You can always look for some good guides for increasing nerve.
It's also a good idea to donate to the game, for more energy. Since it doesn't really cost alot the gains are good.
Btw, I started with the idea to take the `Law` path and help people with stuff. Found out quite fast that stats (so fighting) is quite important if you do not want to be an easy target. So I would suggest to keep in mind that you will need to train your stats too!
Go the fighter route. Build those stats. Makes the game much more fun. You can claim bounties, fight in wars, protect yourselves and others. Pick on players, and have stats to back your shit up
General studies reward is a crappy benefit. 110% of a small number is a slightly larger number, you'll get more by bribing a company owner even twice a week to train you. That is worth 50X 2 + 25X 2 =+150 job stats a week. The stat boosts to Education job stat increases are small compared to the bonuses they give. The general courses in general are *not* worth it to me. So as such I'm picking and choosing specific education boosts I want to focus on. The first tree that will be completed is the sports science, since that is +2% gains, afterwords I'll probably move onto Combat, and Psychology. There are some courses I will deviate from this plan such as being able to do Arson Warehouse requires a general course completed.
You could always read long, boring posts about how to play the game.
I heard that can take up a lot of time. [:disappointed:]
Yea there are pro's and con's :)
hi drason1
Yeah that's an accurate description of Torn. As Miss Mary mention, join a faction. That adds a whole dimension to the game and you'll learn a lot from a good team.
Nerve from merits in no way contribute to crime success chance, if you had 35 nerve bar with 10 of that from merits you will fail kidnap mayor every time.
Of course by the nerve merits will allow me to fly further missing less natural nerve regeneration to possibly not missing any nerve at all.
Oh i see what you mean, i thought you was under the impession you could kidnap mayor with a 25 nnb + 10 merits. my mistake.
Nope I wouldn't put +10 nb.. I'll ask about faction specials before I'd do that. But I would put 5 on it and Max crime success rate. We got the prime thing I miss from my former account: the natural 60 nerve.