29 replies · 405 views · thread synced · 16 days ago
· View on torn.com
About this thread
Posts archived:30 / 30 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
Archived posts
30
Discussion span
→
Authority score
60 / 100
Historical score
19 / 100
Story score
40 / 100
Engagement score
68 / 100
People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.
Most-liked replies
HandsomePants[1897243]
· 11 likes · Here's my thought on this: If you restart now, you're doing so pretty much solely in order to use those 20 refills "correctly" ... or optimally? It's such a small thing in the grand scheme, and if you start regretting …
Chewbacca2[2058003]
· 5 likes · Right, after a few more hours of thought and all of this feedback I've got. I am deciding not to go ahead with the restart. Thinking about it I've not been inactive for more than 24 hours ever in my …
What are the rules if I'm thinking about restarting? I know that I obviously can't use this account again and definitely can't transfer items between the two as that's obviously cheating.
Just giving it a thought is all because I've been playing for nearly a fortnight and have absolutely fell in love with the game and community, I was in two minds wether to donate but now I am 100% sure that I'd like to put some money into this game as I'm usually quite skeptical about P2W games and this certainly isn't of that type. I can see the owner and developers put their heart and soul into it and don't want to turn out into a money hungry gaming corporation.
Going to be purchasing 3 DP's along with an annual subscription tomorrow and I thought it may be wise to have a fresh start (20 refills I wasted) considering the minor **** ups ive had since joining. Basically just a list of pro's and cons is all I require.
You can't restart that quickly. You'll spend 48 hours in fed. I just went through the process. Staff want you to get a 48 H window to consider your decision carefully.
Edit: if you DO restart, now would be the chance.
I do however think if you've made some key mistakes you will only benefit from restarting. Your account is relatively new, so you aren't loosing much traction.
If you are ever going to restart, doing so when less than two weeks old is the time to do it. There's no real disadvantage for you in doing so, because you're giving up barely any progress, and as you say, you can make better use of those refills.
Waiting any additional substantial period of time before restarting, however, and I'd recommend against it.
Also, be sure to do facebook torn to level 5. It would be a very wise decision since it will give you a goodie bag (worth about 25 million), + experience [leveled me up to level 3] , a merit , & it gives you 15 days of free donator status. Don't try to recover your current networth, it is not worth the federal sentence you'd get for it. Buying 3 dps + a subscription is a good idea... 3 dps = cash at the pawn shop & a good boost for your max loan from duke, the subscription would potentially help you if happen to get one of the books.
Thanks for the advice, I am 100% sure I want to go through with the restart. Do I have to contact any staff members at all? If so, how do I do that? Or do I just log out and create a new account then this one will be fedded?
Edit: Anyone got a link to Facebook Torn? And how long does it take to hit level 5?
Keep in mind you are no longer allowed a referall either. Contact an officer, they will guide you through the process and make you read the rules on restarting as well if I'm correct.
It's been a while for facebook torn [I had it done far in advance in case I had changed my mind which I DID]... but if you are very active a couple of days. You'll want to contact an "officer" on torn and there will be a specific officer that is responsible for handling the situation for the weekend. When you find out who that officer is WAIT for them to respond and begin to process. Be sure to be polite. If you proceed anyways, the new account you create will be put into federal jail. My case they wanted to handle very slowly, because I came from a 10 1/2 year account. They did not want me to be angry if I changed my mind. But yours I'm sure they will probably feel more comfortable streamlining the process, as you have very little to loose by restarting now, and so much to gain if you apply any knowledge you've gained in the past little while you have played.
Edit:
They'll provide a link for him to use to read over carefully, I provided information that is not on that link though that I think they may bypass to a degree on his specific case.
Think carefully about where you put your networth on this account. If you give it to any friends you may have made, they may not EVER give you ANYTHING whatsoever.
If you restart now, you're doing so pretty much solely in order to use those 20 refills "correctly" ... or optimally? It's such a small thing in the grand scheme, and if you start regretting tiny failures like missing those then your Torn life will be a constant string of disappointment. Playing this game perfectly is not possible ( aside from ****ing Ultrareign >=[ ) so don't fret over every missed opportunity. Just learn and move on.
What happens in a month when you overdose on Ecstasy while at 1000E, or get buy-mugged for $25m, or marry a hot chick who turns out to be a hairy dude with fake pics? =]
Don't restart, just learn and plan and grow. I used my noob refills on Day 1, training at 0 Happy because I didn't realize my Happy was decreasing and mattered ... and I've screwed up plenty of times since then, but yet here I am giving you advice.
The difference here though is by strategically using those 20 refills you can achieve over 5,000 in all 4 combat stats which WILL have an influence until he hits the stat cap. You don't remember how slow those first few trains are... if he starts out of the gate blazing he will light a trail. He will be able to buy a Palace with those 3 dps [I suggest selling them to the system to avoid a buy mug]. Sure 20 refills is 3,000 energy; but using it smart that 3,000 energy can be worth around 30,000 energy. Also using facebook torn he could get plenty of erotic dvds to make it a 99,999 happy train. And THAT is about 43 days of my level of activity of energy regeneration.
That is hardly something to blow your nose about. Sure, in 3,000 days those 43 days don't matter much; but right in the here and now that will protect him from a lot of the newer stupid players who think mugging for 100k at a time is a smart idea.
After a year or so what matters is activity and consistency. Yeah the jump start helps but what if he goes inactive after 3-6months of playing? The players that stayed active and didnt restart are going to past him. Its a marathon not a sprint. And Ultrareign is a beast even if someone restarted and threw thousands in the game (which he didn't do) it be way too hard to do better xD
Oh I understand. I'm not saying the act itself doesn't have merit, it's the mindset I'm saying he should avoid.
He could still do Facebook Torn right now with this account and donate/sub like he's planning, and have plenty of seed money to get a couple happy jumps in. Or go sit in a sweet shop for a month to get enough points to get to 99k organically, there are many options that don't require new player refills.
All I'm saying is that it's best to realize early on that your Torn account will not be perfect .Restarting to strive for the perfect start will just leave you wanting more perfection later, which just isn't possible.
I have talked about this at length on the forums before :P
It is the biggest most catastrophic cataclysmic mistake you can make in this game if you restart.
There is no denying that if you think calmly about it and rationalize it.
This game has been here for a lot of years, there are many many people who play this game some play sporadically some play everyday, some set the alarm clock to take drugs etc etc etc.
You cant afford to throw away everything and start again from nothing. You are already too far behind, if you restart you will be right at the bottom of the pile.
While in 99% of the cases I completely agree with you, in this case I disagree. The guy is two weeks old. He's not throwing away anything of significance. He is right now at the bottom of the pile, so he would be restarting at basically the same point, except with 3000e of refills that he can use more intelligently.
Gotta agree with the 'no's' on this. There's absolutely no point restarting, especially since you're going to buy DPs, which I'm assuming you're going to sell at least one of which. You're also likely to make up those 20 refills from inactivity. There's a lot of people who played for a decade and have taken breaks.
I don't know, I just don't see a non-optimal use of energy as relevant. There's lots of people who don't use xanax and go for SSL, that doesn't mean their game is non-optimal. That's the point, this is a game, you can play it however you like.
If you want to restart, go for it, but I don't think a few mistakes as a new character is going to make an impact in the grand scheme of things. As other's have said, this is a long-haul game.
I'm not going to mince my words here: restarting is for retards, plain and simple! [:sick:]
Even if you can restart, it doesn't mean that you should. You made feel you've famed a few mistakes, but in 99.99% of the cases, that's nothing you can't recover from over the scope of one year... and all the effort you've put in it so far will be wasted.
Right, after a few more hours of thought and all of this feedback I've got. I am deciding not to go ahead with the restart. Thinking about it I've not been inactive for more than 24 hours ever in my two weeks of playing and I have put some time into this already and seeing as this is a marathon I think I'm gonna stay with this account for the long run. I appreciate everyone's input. Thanks a bunch