Probably right, but I still don't like the idea of having to rely on role shenanigans (is X investigation true). It takes away the main point of the game for me.
yeah, but on that dependency you still can bs but it's not nearly as strong as without special powers... I think that as long as you don't have more than 1 invest role then it should be okay
I'm the only former wolf of the three people this seems to be directed at..
(Also I have more fun playing mafia make me mafia please kkty)
---
Jonasty, you should try a closed setup. If nobody else does, I will run one next time it's my turn. It gets rid of a lot of the shenanigans, or at least makes the shenanigans more interesting (because you have to work out people's motives instead of just figuring out what happened, which is the point of mafia). There are multiple examples of why doing this openly can be a problem in the game that I'm running (just as a favor to Klawz to be fair), and a whole bunch of others.
Suppose you are a cop and you get a No Result pm.
Were you roleblocked? Rolestopped? Copped an ascetic? If you were blocked, why? And if you got a town result, was it a godfather? If you got a mafia result, was it a framer? A miller? You have no idea if these things exist. Was that cop who just died hinting at investigations?
The defining question is still why something happened. What stopped you? What was the motivation? Why did somebody die?
Or suppose a mafioso claims cop. Unless you're the cop, and maybe not even then, you have no idea if there's a cop or not. (Claiming cop is more powerful than claiming vanilla townie, obviously.) Even if you have a flipped cop, someone claiming 1-shot cop isn't unreasonable as town or as mafia. But why would they do that? Are they telling the truth?
Trying to get inside people's heads and find all the little things they give you is what makes Mafia fun for me, although you might be different.
(Also, dead player flips are better evidence than quest results imo.)
I'm sorry Harana, because I for one, think it's a fun game. It does require reading and thinking and some of the players either don't have the skills or the time. [:cry:]
We have a new king? Or are the knights of the round officially breaking up to go rabblerousing in our own villages?
I too really like this game... I just think since it is a tabletop game originallly, its hard to replicate the speed of the rl game on the forums... A game that would typically take 1 hour to play has been drawn out to be over a week now... and we're only halfway through really
That said, mafia also has some of the same obstacles but translates fairly well to the forums, so I think with some more tweaks and thoughts, it'd be a really cool game... Having engaged players is definitely key but that's true for any forum game i guess...
we can replace them... however it might take a while for them to be caught up and then they might be lazy and not post :(, but having just a bunch of inactives also isn't fun...