Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Weapon Stats

Started by aytrh [2065652] on in Questions & Answers.

20 replies · 465 views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 21 / 21 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
21
Discussion span
→
Authority score
60 / 100
Historical score
18 / 100
Story score
38 / 100
Engagement score
65 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

aytrh [2065652]

Does the accuracy/damage for the actual weapon itself really matter or is it your battle stats that mainly determine how often you hit and the damage you deal?

I have realized that none of my weapons have an accuracy rating above 30 and i was wondering if that really matters much?
Queequeg [1602158]

https://www.torn.com/wiki/Back_to_Basics

It seems to be pretty important to have accurate weapons. From that link above they seem to say accuracy is important. I think that is right, I've used weapons with less accuracy and have lost fights because I missed too much. But accuracy and damage associated with the weapon may have some kind of additive effect with your battle states. I'm not sure what that is, but I like weapons with the highest accuracy and damage values. If you want to stay stealthed, then you might want to think about that weapon rating as well.
aytrh [2065652]

Well that is a shame. I just won loads of money in the casino about 30 minutes ago and bought a mace because i thought it looked pretty damn awesome.

Thanks for letting me know though before i wasted anymore money.
LimitBreakr [1563326]

Use the weapons you have fun with. Use better weapons if you NEED to.

Swiss Army usually has higher damage than an Armalite rifle, but Armalite is way more accurate, relatively speaking. There are people I cannot beat with the Swiss Army, but because Armalite will hit, I'll need to use that to win.

But sometimes you know your targets, and if you know their Dex is nothing compared to your Speed, you can get away with using more damaging less accurate weapons, so that's fun.

But this is a game. Games are supposed to be fun. This weekend my faction was chaining and I used a Crossbow and a Hammer for most of my attacks. I didn't win as quickly but it was a lot of fun reading about crossbowing someone in the groin.
dunmugmeh [538353]

Accuracy and Damage are both important in weapons so if one of them is really low it is a bad weapon.

I recommend at least 70+ on both damage and accuracy, not much lower than that if you cant afford or find a good weapon.

And yes that does mean most weapons are 'useless' or just plain bad.

You should use a good weapon its pretty important ....

If you can only find 1 good weapon then dont use any others. I used a melee only for about 8 years and it never did me any harm.
Baldr [1847600] Reporter

Weapon stats (and armor stats) help, especially in close fights. But your combat stats matter a lot more.

If you hand good armor and weapons to a newbie, they'll still suck at combat because they have low stats, and if you give crappy armor/weapons to BodyBagger, he's still going to walk all over people due to the awesome stats.


Cryptic [2059197]

The way I see it under current mechanics I feel like it is for close , or barely winnable fights to highlight differences of weapon selection. As dunmugmeh pointed out, the vast majority of weapons suck. There are only a handful of really good ones, and that makes flavor kinda go away. You could spread it out like this...

Primary: High Power, below average accuracy.... Secondary: Low power, high accuracy, Melee: Average power, average accuracy

You could do any combination of those options, but be sure to know what the magazine size is. I know I used to think the Jackhammer was a great weapon, then I thought about how many rounds are lost reloading. Not saying it isn't strong still, but when you compare that to some of the good melee weapons that are cheap (under 10 million) I find it lacking.
Michi [1922819]

It doesn't matter till you have to fight stronger people. So far I've focused on higher accuracy using diamond bladed knife and 78 accuracy kodachis. I've just recently bought a higher damage weapon to test out since I've noticed in a lot of close defends I've lost I feel like I don't hit hard enough. Eventually you can put merits into certain weapon types and get mods but best to focus on just having the stats as mentioned above first.

I suggest just get some combat armor (cheap as you can afford or loaned from a faction) and a macana at the beginning. I may or may not be advertising for my bazaar >.>
Cryptic [2059197]

I'd slightly disagree. Enough of a stat advantage weapons become irrelevant. But they can be a huge swing in a close fight. If my speculation is right the accuracy formula for weapons translates that no matter what we loose some % of our speed due to weapon inaccuracy. The top tier accuracy weapons are very good though compared to most; but high accuracy low damage leaves us wanting something with more of a bite to it.
aytrh [2065652]

Thanks for all the feedback guys it has definitely made things clearer.

After reading through all of your comments i think i have decided just to stick with my terribly inaccurate but totally bad ass weapons. As LimitBreakr said i am here just to have fun and i feel like the general conclusion is that it does not make a massive difference what weapons you use as long as you the the battle stats.

Again thanks for the great responses :)
Cryptic [2059197]

You would point out the case that fists are better lol. What if I did vs someone with 15 x less Dex than my speed? And note that IS possible. According to the stat guideline I should always hit with that much of an advantage.
AshleyT [1432316]

I literally have a grand total of 0 hits with the rusty sword, even using it against people I significantly out-stat.
Cryptic [2059197]

But why would you use such a bad weapon to start with? If I'm right about how the total accuracy formula works doesn't surprise me too much.
Dagrims [2007550]

You received plenty of good information in this thread, but I feel that there is one important piece of advice that has been missed:

If you really are concerned about wasting money, stay away from the casino!
Vladar [1996140]

I think accuracy is a straight up multiplier to your chance to hit. So if your stats give you a 50% chance of hitting someone, and you have a weapon with an accuracy of 65, I think you have a 0.65*50 = 32.5% chance of hitting. I think damage works the same way - If you would do 1000 damage with a certain hit, and you have a weapon with a damage of 80, I believe you'll do 0.8*1000 = 800 damage. This is of course compared to a weapon with a theoretically perfect 100/100.

So in that regards - it's pretty important. You will do 4 times as much damage with a weapon rated 80 as with a weapon rated 20, and the same goes for chance to hit. However - since they multiply off of your chance to hit and/or damage that you have already with your stats, an 80% multiplier on a 0 damage hit or a 0% chance to hit is still.... 0.

So, stats are far and away the most important in that you could have the best weapons in the game and won't be able to hit someone with far better stats than you... however, you also don't want to be doing a small fraction of your potential damage or landing a fraction of your potential hits, so in that regards, weapon stats are very important as well, they just only come into play on fights where you aren't totally outclassed in stats.