Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Sun-bathing - why?

Started by Wollongong [12833] on in General Non-related.

13 replies · 142 views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 14 / 14 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
14
Discussion span
→
People posting
13
Likes on archived posts
27
Authority score
20 / 100
Historical score
21 / 100
Story score
44 / 100
Engagement score
57 / 100

Most-liked replies

Wollongong [12833]

Can anyone please explain to me why "sunbathing" is a thing? You're just laying their, while you could be doing something else, and are exposing your skin to scary UV-rays which may cause your skin to become painful and red (or worse). Seriously, what's the appeal of the thing?


Hades [1728299]

Agreed.



Its ****ing stupid though I have to say that I do love the feeling of the sun shining on my face with my eyes closed. :)
JSnows [14906]

yay for bikinis !! well yay for women in bikinis :)

on a side note, to be fair (no pun intended) the concept of good looking has changed over the years and being tanned hasn't always been looked at as a good thing and may change again in the future

sunbathing at the beach (or other public places where swimming is included) is one thing .. what i don't get is people that sunbathe alone on verandas, balconies, rooftops, etc ..
Stylin [1474127]

I like sunbathing right next to the sea with a nice cold beer on the table next to me.

the sound of the waves and having nice heat on your body is so relaxing :)




Beerstein [1322136]

The computer programming one is way too tan. (although it would have been more amusing if he had tan lines across his body in the shape of blinds :D Anyways I agree it's silly after a point, but a little can be good, some sunlight is healthy (I'm looking at you mr computer programmer)
MachineGunSteve [184119]

Why is anything a thing?

Because everyone is different, and everyone likes doing different things.

As Stylin said however... there really isn't anything more relaxing than sitting in the warm sun. Unfortunately some of us have overdone it over the years... me... so now I have to get a little tan just to hide all the damage I have done to my skin over the years, so it is a vicious cycle for me... tan, see dermatologist, tan... etc., etc. I don't drink much. I don't do drugs... hell, I don't even drink coffee, so this is my vice. I try to limit it to 12 minutes per side now that I am old, and it does have some benefits... it causes your body to produce much needed vitamin D.
Multipass [1955315]

It's at least partly a cultural status thing. In western society having a tan indicates you are wealthy enough to afford the time off to go somewhere hot and get a tan.

In different places (Vietnam and China in my experience) people hate to tan as only poor people who work in fields in the sun get tanned - white collar people literally hide from the sun under parasols.